BTW, am I the only one hoping for a return of the jellybeans ? 'Cause I grew up with them and man, they were the best. No offense to later (or eralier ) Castle themes, but hell, they were at least original.

Your opinion is your own, and as valid as anyone's. That said, your affection for KKII is likely a product of you being a kid at the time.

I was not a kid at the time, and the late 90s/early 2000s were fuel for my dark ages because in my own opinion, it was a time of unsophisticated design for Lego castle. Gimmicks and power ranger rip offs.

Don't let anyone tell you you're wrong for liking what you like, but there are good reasons that KKII is the most reviled theme for most of us here.

BTW, am I the only one hoping for a return of the jellybeans ? 'Cause I grew up with them and man, they were the best. No offense to later (or eralier ) Castle themes, but hell, they were at least original.

No you aren't the only one, I too am hoping for the comeback :D.

The constraction figures are reminding me of jellybeans. But I'm less worried about jellybeans than mechanical lions and helicopters.

"I love them purely due to nostalgia" is an aspect of this hobby that drives me nuts! Is yellow castle the best castle ever? I bet a ton of people think so despite the fact that if it were introduced today it would be lambasted as terribly inaccurate and yellow for Pete's sake!

Let's hope for good design, new molds, good price to parts ratios and cool bad guys, and not a return to an old theme just because it is an old theme.

"I love them purely due to nostalgia" is an aspect of this hobby that drives me nuts! Is yellow castle the best castle ever? I bet a ton of people think so despite the fact that if it were introduced today it would be lambasted as terribly inaccurate and yellow for Pete's sake!

Let's hope for good design, new molds, good price to parts ratios and cool bad guys, and not a return to an old theme just because it is an old theme.

This soooo much.

There were certain problems with the TLG provided designs of KKII, but if you could get passed the idea that the toso and leg assemblies are stuck that way, there was a lot to like. Vladek had his own fortress, and could even conquer Morcia (innovative idea, just poorly executed). Numerous shield designs that kept getting better. Even the large figures had parts (until the combat torsos) that could be used to color a fortress for the minifig version. There was even a boat that used the big dragon wings as sails. The Sir Kentis minifig was designed perfectly from the beginning.

If this theme has the versatility of KKII, I'll be happy. I have plenty of parts to MOC fortresses for new characters.

Huh. Away for a day and I log into Eurobricks to find.......all....of...this....wow. I got caught up in "Nekchir-Gate" along with everyone else and in the end, the joke was on me. Oh well, moving on.

Now that all that stuff has been debunked, we are left with the (incomplete) set list and logo. Along with some bits of info from other members "in the know". I guess at this point, we have to wait for one of these things:

1. Someone who has actually seen the catalog provides some set details (although if I was such a person now, I would really be questioning if it's worth it to do that).

2. Someone posts leaked images online.

I estimate that one of these 2 things will happen within the next 2-3 weeks or so. Not a stretch I know, but it would line up with last year. Last year, a few members were able to get a look at the catalog via connections at local retailers and an anonymous poster on 4chan who claimed to have seen the retail catalog posted accurate set descriptions of the 2015 Ultra Agent sets prior to pics being leaked. A few more days of patience should yield some positive results!

Amen to this. I for one, am looking forward to at least some castle goodness- that's my main wallet drain! I really liked the last castle sets, and I'm hoping I'll be enthused to buy them.

There was talk (from Nekchir) about the catalogs being watermarked in a unique fashion to identify the store that leaked them. Was this something new, only mentioned by Nekchir? The reason I ask this is that I actually work in the printing industry, and watermarking every magazine with a different watermark is a terribly inefficient way of printing. It means that every book would actually have to be printed as a separate book, and that's just not common at all, as it IS inefficient, as well as considerably more costly.

Was there anyone else verifying this supposed catalog watermark rumor, or was this just another lie by Nekchir...used as a method to avoid providing any proof of his bogus claims?

Perhaps it was a first for Lego, but color coded heroes are by no means a new idea.

If this theme has the versatility of KKII, I'll be happy. I have plenty of parts to MOC fortresses for new characters.

I know what you mean. I'm mostly hoping for nice, castle friendly prints. Torso, shields and such. If we do get nice castles and buildings instead of vomit vehicles, that's a bonus.

Perhaps it was a first for Lego, but color coded heroes are by no means a new idea.

Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with color-coded heroes. The problem was that lego did a very poor job executing the idea with KK2. Each hero looked like a Power Ranger (which is not a good thing, in most people's opinion). There were very few details to differentiate one from the other, other than the offensive flood of color that saturated everything about the character.

A good representation of color-coded heroes would be one in which the color is a subtle detail. The hero would need a good design by itself, with the color simply being a nice accent. You don't want the hero to be defined almost entirely by the color...otherwise its very shallow character design. Sure, these are designed for kids, but that doesn't mean sophisticated design should be thrown out the door. It should be done in a way that kids and adults alike can appreciate the stylistic choices.

Simply put, the characters shouldn't look like carbon copies of each other, with color being the only significant difference at a glance. Even Heroica did a solid job of color-coding heroes while maintaining unique character identities.

Let me just say, if you are really a fan of Fantasy Era then you could have found lots of useful and similar parts and minifigs to Fantasy Era in both Ninjago and Chima, so the prospect of the theme being like Ninjago and Chima doesn't nececessarily have to be a bad thing. That said there is also lots to both Ninjago and Chima that isn't usable in a Medieval Fantasy setting at all, but personally if we get any new usable Medieval Fantasy stuff I'm happy.

Would I prefer a Historical or Medieval Fantasy theme for new updated versions of sets like the old FE or MMV/MVR (all of which I sadly missed out on), definitely. I just don't think it's realistic to expect that from this theme (and then maybe get pleasantly surprised with something, like that last big expensive Ninjago set edit* Temple of Airjitsu).

Edited by Isundir

It was never really said that it would be "extremely" like FE from what I remember...but I could see how someone would think that with how much hype and momentum was built off of the initial comment.

Actually, yes it was. Taken right from Brickjagger's very first post in this thread:

When I asked him what kind of Castle theme it would be, he said "It's a lot like the Castle theme from a few years ago, the one with the Dwarves and Trolls." I believe that this is referring to the 2007-2009 Castle line.

I highlighted and underlined the part about FE for emphasis. In that very first post he mentioned it was "a LOT like Castle from a few years ago", not that it was just "kind of" or "similar" like it. What exactly makes it a lot like FE though? That it has at least one fantasy element, or one fantasy faction with the rock/lava monsters? If that's the case the 2013 Castle theme was "a lot like" the Fright Knights because both had at least one dragon in the theme. Nothing else about those themes, or Nexo Knights and FE, are very similar beyond the obvious though.

Color-coded Knights was Trollchir's remark...so that's nothing to put stock into until further evidence suggests so.

Lava Monsters are the sort of enemy that fits very easily into Fantasy entertainment, so while they didn't exist in the original FE, they could have without feeling out of place.

I think color coded knights are pretty much a given at this point. I might be (and hope) I am wrong... but if we have 5 main characters Lego loves to use colors to help differentiate and distinguish them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see them all having their own specific color. Let's just hope we don't get bright or pastel colors this time around and we get something a littler darker instead.

As for lava monsters, they could fit into fantasy and have plenty of times before. They just aren't your more traditional stuff like dragons, orcs, dwarves, undead, and elves. Lego's FE seemed to stick more to the traditional fantasy, we didn't see any satyrs, kobolds, centaurs, griffons, etc. Basically all the more obscure stuff.

It could be "like" FE for the simple fact that this Nexo Knights theme sounds like humans vs fantasy monsters...which is something that was primarily FE until now. Sure, there have been a handful of non-human bad guys with ghosts and dragons, for instance...but Castle has been pretty much humans vs humans through the majority of history. This one detail alone gives a pretty big connection to FE, which I could see as a pretty good basis for people saying it's similar.

Seems like a pretty insignificant reason to compare them though, don't you think? Why compare Nexo Knights to FE just because it's human's vs monsters when literally nothing else is the same between the two themes (besides the obvious of being Castle-inspired)? Power Miners had rock monsters, should we say Nexo Knights is "a lot like" Power Miners because both have rock monsters? A much better, and more accurate description, based on what we know so far would have been it's Ninjago meets Castle.

Sorry if it seems like I am hung up on this point, but I kind of am. To me, it seems like Brickjagger got some very vague info that has evolved into something else entirely by now. At first it was supposed to be a lot like FE, then have some aspects of Castle 2013, then some slight Steampunk influence. I understand the info was first reported from a manager quite awhile ago so it obviously will evolve as more info is leaked or he probably didn't have a ton of insider info himself, but the initial report was pretty vague to begin with. That's why I don't get why people were so quick to disregard BrickJagger's initial post. It literally didn't have any concrete, precise info, and since the OP the info has changed quite a bit. In fact, most of the original info could be guessed just based on Lego's past. I can pretty much guarantee Lego will come out with City sets in 2016 and some of them will have police in them. I don't have any insider info, I just know this because it's what Lego does EVERY year. Lego was due up for a new Castle theme so that's not surprising. However, the one piece of actual info we got about it being a lot like FE seems to be WAY off the mark.

Edited by Deathleech

^ Yikes. Can we just agree to disagree here? You're reading way to far into this. It's a store manager. They don't know a ton but they do know some things.

*Delete*

Never mind. I just saw you responded to that one. My bad.

Really though, what is the point you are attempting to make, other than to paint me in a bad light?

Edited by BrickJagger

Consider this for a moment, the reference to FE wasn't about the character content, or look. It was about the types of sets. Siege machines and combat vehicles were part of FE. Here's a list.

Troll Assault Wagon

Skeleton's Prison Carraige

King's Battle Charriot

Dwarve's Mine Defender

Troll Battle Wheel

Tower Raid

Knights' Catapult Defense

Skeleton Ship Attack

Troll Warship

Consider it from a display layout point of view. A store manager will need some advanced information about the types of sets (not their exact content) to plan a set showcase. I see these things in Target all the time. Ninjago has had several in its lifespan.

(Edit, forgot one big one on the list.)

Edited by gedren_y

I think color coded knights are pretty much a given at this point. I might be (and hope) I am wrong... but if we have 5 main characters Lego loves to use colors to help differentiate and distinguish them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see them all having their own specific color. Let's just hope we don't get bright or pastel colors this time around and we get something a littler darker instead.

I'll bring some hope by disagreeing here.

In Alpha Team the characters had very similar colours, so maybe the 5 knights have a different uniform with the same colour pattern, or even a very similar uniform and then changing the weapons and hairs/headgear. That could be possible and would be WAY better.

Really though, what is the point you are attempting to make, other than to paint me in a bad light?

I'm not trying to paint you in a bad light. I defended you early on and said I believe that you really got the info from a manager rather than making it up like SOME people :hmpf_bad:

I was simply responding to the comment that the manager wasn't too far off. I disagree with that. This theme doesn't sound anything like what was originally reported. Of course we still have yet to see any pictures so who knows.

Of course we still have yet to see any pictures so who knows.

Agreed. I will gladly resume discussing this point after the pictures come out, but this time with less novels and more facts from both of us. :grin:

@Deathleech - I'll have to respectfully disagree with a lot of your assessment. I'm eager to see pics, to see what we can actually expect.

Deathleech, I think you are taking this too far. It's not that important. Can we move on from this? I mean I agree with you mostly but I don't understand why you feel the need to beat BrickJagger into submission. You've stated these points time and again and it feels like you won't stop until he says "You are right, I was wrong" and stops making his own claims. This is the big problem with forum flame wars.

No, me too :cry_happy:

---

They used color codes for KK2 theme because that theme was aimed to kids, so that way it was easier for them to identify the characters, which we are not random knights

About KK2, I love Vladek. And love his Scorpion crest (Scorpio is my zodiac sign :wub: )

Lord_Vladek.jpg

I love villains so I have high expectations about Jestro :classic:

While I'm not that big a Castle fan (I'm more into City and Town stuff), I saw the prototypes for KK2, and I think it would be great if Nexo Knights were like them.

No, me too :cry_happy:

---

They used color codes for KK2 theme because that theme was aimed to kids, so that way it was easier for them to identify the characters, which we are not random knights

About KK2, I love Vladek. And love his Scorpion crest (Scorpio is my zodiac sign :wub: )

I love villains so I have high expectations about Jestro :classic:

Vladek was awesome! The ultimate dark lord of the medieval Lego world!

If Nexo Knights end up being different colours I hope they follow Vladek's(With cape seen above) style of colour where he had one main neutral colour(Black) with another vibrant colour(Red) rather than the good guys in KK2 who were just the one colour (Blue, Green, Purple, etc.)

I have high hopes for Jestro too, seems like he could be a DC comics Joker type of villain, someone who loves chaos and thinks it's hilarious.

I just hope Jestro is human and not an armored cyborg. I really want a decent multi-use dark jester! Please, LEGO, don't screw him up!

I won't expect jellybeans. But I do think each hero will have a color, since they're unique characters rather than nameless soldiers. And if they do turn out to be jellybeans, I bet their outfits will become more subtle over time. Look at Ninjago. The current Deepstone outfits have color-coded arms and masks, but the rest is uniform.