What if the new theme also uses.... MINIDOLLS!!! :tongue:

Hey you, don't even say that! :cry_sad:

After 7 months of speculation, that'd be the biggest let down yet

Edited by Robert8

Something like that picture would be awesome! They could use the hot air baloon elements from that Friends set in tan... :wub:

On another topic, do you remember when Elves sets were rumoured and turned out to not be what was expected? What if the new theme also uses.... MINIDOLLS!!! :tongue:

That was awful...... I really had my hopes up last year and I thought that there was going to be an Fantasy Era revival..... :hmpf_bad::sadnew:

This new sub theme is definitely not going to have mini-dolls, because Elves is still kicking (new wave next year) and I don't think Lego could justify having two girl-oriented fantasy themes and zero boy-oriented ones. :wink:

Meanwhile, how many sets do you think we are going to get in the summer wave? Twelve sets are in this wave, so I would expect less for next summer.

Just got caught up reading the last couple of months worth of posts. I am very very disappointed that the new castle line is also the action theme. Obviously, I only have Ninjago and Chima to go off of, but I am truly worried. The word that I had gotten about this theme was large and fantasy/castle in January. The exact type of theme was not indicated to me at all. If history for action themes holds to form we can expect...

-On the good guys side, multiple releases of the same named "hero" minifigs that are too specific to represent rank and file castle army figs. I doubt we will get any types of generic soldiers on the good side. I can only hope that the minifig parts can be changed around easily to turn them into a faction as opposed to one character. :hmpf_bad:

-On the bad guys side, usually there are one or two main villains and their minions. We may possibly get some mass normal troops on the bad guy side. :classic:

-Civilian styled sets have not been a big factor in the action themes. Even the new Ninjago temple set is populated mostly by named characters. This would be devastating to me. New civilian minifigs are the thing I need more than any faction of castle guys. :cry_sad:

-The action themes always get drawn into making a lot of vehicles. I hope steampunk influence is light and these themes do not get vehicle centric.

In general I don't care a lot about set design because I just use the parts to MOC with. However, I do want the sets to be appealing simply so they sell well. Then TLG can make more factions, parts, colors, etc in the future that I can MOC with. For this reason I hope the theme is appealing.

Perhaps I will be surprised by this new theme, but I just drastically lowered my expectations for the next 3 years of LEGO collecting. I just hope the heraldry, colors, prints and any new molds are useful.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of your concerns. I'm cautiously optimistic, but there are a hundred different ways this could go wrong.

As long as the quality of the new Castle theme is up to or above Kingdoms, I'm in. And I hope it's minifigs, not minidolls.

In general I don't care a lot about set design because I just use the parts to MOC with. However, I do want the sets to be appealing simply so they sell well. Then TLG can make more factions, parts, colors, etc in the future that I can MOC with. For this reason I hope the theme is appealing.

Perhaps I will be surprised by this new theme, but I just drastically lowered my expectations for the next 3 years of LEGO collecting. I just hope the heraldry, colors, prints and any new molds are useful.

This is how I feel about *any* castle theme. Give me interesting heraldry and a cheap set to get my army, and the rest is all gravy.

To be fair, LEGO has pressed vehicles in every castle theme too. Ballistas, boats, catapults, wagons- we see those no matter what else goes on. I do agree though, steampunk flying machines and tanks would be wacky- but again, so long as the parts are good, so am I.

This got me thinking... isn't Ninjago kind of historical though? I mean I know it has lots of fantasy elements and lots of action, but at it's core it's based around ninjas which are from history (no matter how crazy they may be). If we DO get another action/adventure theme with a history basis, couldn't we also get a "normal" Castle theme during it's run?

If this is an action/adventure theme with historical influences that includes knights and/or castles, i don't think Lego will release another castle them for the duration of the line in order to avoid cannibalizing sales.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this theme as long as its not Chima. (But i'm a ninjago fan)

Edited by Umbra-Manis

Ninjago is about as historic as galaxy squad. You know, since we've been to space.

LOTS of themes could be argued as being historical by some stretch of the imagination. But yeah, I do kinda agree with your assessment of Ninjago.

This got me thinking... isn't Ninjago kind of historical though? I mean I know it has lots of fantasy elements and lots of action, but at it's core it's based around ninjas which are from history (no matter how crazy they may be). If we DO get another action/adventure theme with a history basis, couldn't we also get a "normal" Castle theme during it's run?

It depends on how they approach the theme:

Ninja (1998) -> Castle subtheme

Ninjago (2011) -> Action/Adventure theme

Ninjago is about as historic as galaxy squad. You know, since we've been to space.

Yup, and that's kind of my point. We haven't heard much in terms of concrete details other than it is a "historic theme", it will have a slight steam punk influence, and it's going to be heavily action/adventure oriented. I mean do we even know if it has proper knights at this point?

It depends on how they approach the theme:

Ninja (1998) -> Castle subtheme

Ninjago (2011) -> Action/Adventure theme

The Castle subtheme was amazing though :)

I just had thought what this theme could be. Its said to be steam punk historical with vehicles. this sounds reminiscent of the Adventurers and Pharaoh's quest theme. Kind of a 1920's steam punk vibe with vehicles. Named Characters. I don't know just a thought. I really do want another fantasy castle though

Edited by cullmancreations

Its said to be steam punk historical with vehicles.

There must be another thread where all the rumors are generating. Because this is not what the theme is rumored to be, according to this thread...

From what I've heard very recently there is no steampunk involved. And no, I don't have any other details.

From what I've heard very recently there is no steampunk involved. And no, I don't have any other details.

I think people took the Chima vehicles and thought it was steampunk or something. It'll be more like Chima, I bet.

I think people took the Chima vehicles and thought it was steampunk or something. It'll be more like Chima, I bet.

I'm willing to accept a lot of different things, but even I would cry if this is going to be Castle+Chima Vehicles... wait how can anybody think those are Steampunk?

I really didn't like Chima at first, once I built Eris Eagle Interceptor I got the whole thinking with the theme and actually quite like some sets from the theme...that said if we get a castle theme that has Jets and Tanks instead of dragons and siege towers then I will be quite disappointed.

I am trying to keep expectations low...it's just difficult with all the not knowing!

As long as the quality of the new Castle theme is up to or above Kingdoms, I'm in. And I hope it's minifigs, not minidolls.

Oh god don't say that what if you just cursed it, seriously though I don't understand why LEGO ever makes those, I don't know any numbers but I can't imagine them doing well as opposed to actual Minifigs, I also agree with Dale in that I want more historical civilian Minifigs.

there will probably be lots of vehicles I guess - and I dont like the idea...

Chariots/Carriages/Boats (and I'm personally open to the idea of Airships) different kinds of Siege Engines, there could be lots of potentially interesting 'vehicles'.

The general vibe I'm getting from the thread is that this is a very slippery slope and they could very easily make something really interesting or something really terrible and that uncertainty is the only thing that's certain for now. :cry_sad:

Edited by Isundir

The problem is that majority of classic LEGO fans really want something in the way of Forestmen, Bandits, Dragon Knights, and Dungeon Knights..... You know classic Castle stuff 1992 mixed with Kingdoms level of design and quality with battle packs.

Now just imagine getting a new Black Knight's Castle....... D2C set, 1800 pieces or something with new design and stuff, but with that classic vibe.

That would be a true Castle theme.

That sounds like an F'ing nightmare.

The problem is that majority of classic LEGO fans really want something in the way of Forestmen, Bandits, Dragon Knights, and Dungeon Knights..... You know classic Castle stuff 1992 mixed with Kingdoms level of design and quality with battle packs.

Now just imagine getting a new Black Knight's Castle....... D2C set, 1800 pieces or something with new design and stuff, but with that classic vibe.

That would be a true Castle theme.

Agreed on all points except that I don't need 1800 part sets. Those $200ish sets are barriers for kids and we would do well to temper our wish lists with some level of reality.