I know, but I don't think it very likely of Lego. They don't seem big on bringing back past factions

But the last castle sets used lions again which were used before... I'm not that knowledgeable but it seemed it was pretty much a rehash of a prior idea...

But the last castle sets used lions again which were used before... I'm not that knowledgeable but it seemed it was pretty much a rehash of a prior idea...

They re-use the same animal a lot (lion), but that's about it. I don't think it is meant to be the same faction as the color sceheme is usually pretty different? The last lions color scheme was blue and silver as opposed to red and white or red and blue like previous factions:

crusader_and_falcon_castle_mini_figures.png

852921-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

850888-1.jpg?201402140204

Edited by Deathleech

They re-use the same animal a lot (lion), but that's about it.

"That's about it" entails quite a bit, actually. Have Lion Knights/Crusaders (whatever you want to call them) been the exact same faction every time? Maybe not technically, considering the different colors, different settings, etc... However, they represent the same thing EVERY time they've been used. They are the token heroic knight, good guy faction, with a lion crest. The next time they show up in Lego Castle, chances are they are going to be the exact same thing, with a different coat of paint.

When I said Lego doesn't seem big on bringing back past factions, I meant the exact same color scheme, crest, etc. I never said they didn't re-use ideas or animals. Just because they consistently re-use the lion, doesn't mean it's the same faction as prior years though. Lego often uses the lion on the good guys because it's usually seen as a noble and powerful creature. It's very regal. Dragons on the other hand are often representative of the bad guys. People were wanting specific factions brought back like the Black Falcons and Crusaders, not another lion faction or what have you.

If you look at the color schemes and even the lion itself they aren't very similar from one faction to another. One year you have a lion head with a crown on blue and silver shields, the one before that was a full bodied golden lion on a red and white checkered shield, and years before that was a full bodied blue or gold lion with a crown on a gold or blue shield with a red border. None of these look ANYTHING alike other than featuring a lion. Therefore I don't think they are meant to be the same faction. If they were, why not just update the lion a bit but leave the shape and color scheme the same like the did with the Black Falcon:

3846px9.jpg?0

3846pb31.jpg?1

As opposed to the following which look NOTHING alike except for featuring a lion:

2586px19.jpg

2586pb006.jpg

Edited by Deathleech

Of course, that's inevitable. Half the people in this thread want a return to the fantasy theme while the others want a more classic castle theme or faction (like Forestmen, Black Falcons, etc.). Lego can't make everyone happy.

And nothing of the two will happen, be sure.

With both LOTR/Hobbit and Chima done I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next Castle line does have more of a fantasy element to it to sort of fill the gap. Equally they could do something similar to the last line where there was one set with fantasy elements and the others were pretty standard 'historical' style - ideally I'd like to see more than one fantasy based one though. With How to Train Your Dragon having been so successful I should think that some element of mythology would be used, and with the abundance of new elf/goblin eared parts introduced from LOTR, Elves and CMFs there's certainly a lot of scope for interesting mini figures.

When I said Lego doesn't seem big on bringing back past factions, I meant the exact same color scheme, crest, etc. I never said they didn't re-use ideas or animals. Just because they consistently re-use the lion, doesn't mean it's the same faction as prior years though.

I know what you meant. Your point of view has merit, and so does mine.

They may or may not be the exact same faction...but even if they aren't, they have basically been the exact same thing every time, with a fresh coat of paint. Due to the lack of official lore, perspective has a lot to do with it.

Of course they will have updated crests/colors....that's part of reinvention of a product. A product will usually sell better if it feels like its "updated" or "new". That's why Lego has taken the same tried and true elements and tweaked them over and over throughout their Castle history.

Even companies go through reinvention from time to time, but that doesn't mean they aren't the same company as before...despite their new logo/colors, etc...

I am aware of that and I agree, but I was addressing people wanting specific factions brought back. I don't think there have been many (if any) people in this thread saying "hey the new 2016 Castle theme should have lions as the crest again, just with new colors!" In fact it seems to be quite the opposite with people NOT wanting the lion re-used no matter if it has a different symbol and colors.

What they are asking for is Forestmen, Black Falcons, etc. brought back. They want the same or very similar color scheme and icon used to past versions. I don't think most people who want the Black Falcons brought back want a different symbol like a falcon head with a crown and a totally different color scheme like purple and yellow. They want the old falcon with black, gray, and blue, just slightly updated if anything.

While I would love the Black Falcons back with a few updates like Kingdom Joust did, I mostly want new factions that would not look out of place along side Kingdoms. The detailed classic coat of arms is perfect. So give us others the would fit in with them such as stags and wolves.

You could even have color on the minifigs if done right. This last season of Vikings had soldiers with yellow coats which the armor was attached to. Common soldiers wouldn't have coats of arms on their chests and belt buckles though.

I was wondering if there could be a chance they use all those historical new molds(roman, spartan, egyptian etc) and release a theme using them.

and with the abundance of new elf/goblin eared parts introduced from LOTR, Elves and CMFs there's certainly a lot of scope for interesting mini figures.

And there is another Castle themed CMF on his way: The S14 Gargoyle

11391107_389097091277142_2123022225692193957_n.jpg?oh=7894d237ab110e0f58b537941c1c15bd&oe=562FCBAB

Niiice. I like that new mold a lot.

One question: How is Lego going to make the torso so that the Gargoyle can crouch? A new leg piece?

Niiice. I like that new mold a lot.

One question: How is Lego going to make the torso so that the Gargoyle can crouch? A new leg piece?

My guess is they won't bother with it crouching.

I hope it doesn't look too scary. I tend to stay away from scaring looking minifigs - reason why I didn't buy the haunted house. I prefer cute + mean looking :laugh: which gives an overall positive vibe even in bad guy factions.

And there is another Castle themed CMF on his way: The S14 Gargoyle

If they cast that in silver it could even be used as a fairly convincing Fantasy helmet despite the ears - you know in the shaped helmets to look intimidating style that fantasy authors often use.

About the faction repeat, I saw the 2013 Lions as a version of the Royal Knights (blue instead of red, which I liked).

Hopefully any future elves will have a heraldry akin to the CMF Elf.

I was wondering if there could be a chance they use all those historical new molds(roman, spartan, egyptian etc) and release a theme using them.

There was a computer game several years ago that was a real time strategy game pitting Vikings against Egyptians against Greeks. Besides just the armies you could also "build" some of their Mythological characters. I don't remember the name of the game but it would be interesting to see a Lego theme like that.

The ears make him look like a perverted elf.

Because his horny? :grin:

There was a computer game several years ago that was a real time strategy game pitting Vikings against Egyptians against Greeks. Besides just the armies you could also "build" some of their Mythological characters. I don't remember the name of the game but it would be interesting to see a Lego theme like that.

Age of Mythology? I harbor some faint hope that LEGO will do an ancient mythology theme some day as that is the only way I see us getting several ancient cultures at once. There is also a faint chance for a licensed theme for a movie along the lines of Wrath of the Titans or Hercules, but I think these tend to skew too old demographics wise.

If they cast that in silver it could even be used as a fairly convincing Fantasy helmet despite the ears - you know in the shaped helmets to look intimidating style that fantasy authors often use.

Or even a satyr. Make the cap brown and the horns a lighter tan, put it on a brown colored minifig head and it would be a fairly convincing satyr I would think.

Or even a satyr. Make the cap brown and the horns a lighter tan, put it on a brown colored minifig head and it would be a fairly convincing satyr I would think.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reuse that headpiece for a satyr minifigure in the CMF theme

Thanks for the history lesson Deathleech.

I really wish the sets would work together more to build something bigger. We often get a small set that connects to the a bigger one, like in current pirates sets, but I really wish they would have more sets and continue a line over 2-3 years and if you bought them all you could assemble something epic.

Edited by Naijel