I think we can certainly use different colors in castles without the fantasy element. Of course, I think 2013 was a fantasy wave since there was an evil wizard and a dragon.

A tan / dark tan castle would be great. I think the heraldry should avoid both lions and dragons so they can come across as a new faction instead of a reboot. It has been a long time since we have a stag or a wolf. That would also help feed Games of Thrones MOCs without acquiring such an adult content license.

While more humans can be welcome, I also would like other races. Granted I missed out on the first Fantasy Era and I don't have a ton of interest in most of those figures, if this newer version becomes Fantasy Era also, I'd hope for some nice mixes of characters, human, elf, dwarf, orc, etc.

I am surprised LEGO doesn't do more actual castles in other colors than light bley. They do towers for the bad guys in black, but never a full on castle like they did back in the day. It doesn't even have to be a bad guy castle, although I'm sure they like to keep it clear for kids who the good and bad are.

To me it seems like Lego is going more character and story based in their themes (Ninjago, Chima, Ultra Agents) and of course licensed themes are mostly like that. Based on that (and the rumor that a game and show are supposedly planned to go with this line) I'm sticking to my theory from back in April...(paraphrased below)

"The new Castle will have characters (but hopefully not Power Ranger Knights), it will have playsets (which most of the Ninjago and Chima buildings were pretty good for their theme) and it will have vehicles (although these may take on a more steampunk or World of Warcraft look instead of a modern or futuristic look)."

I think it would be nice if Lego did updated versions of the old factions for the characters. So the "Rogue" would have the Wolfpack or Forrestman logo and Knights (good and bad) could each have one each of some of the old factions like Black Falcons, Dragon Masters, Fright Knights, etc. I do think it would be funny if the first wave was humans (or a mix of human, elf and dwarf characters) against Snake People using repainted Ninjago Snake People parts. Then the next wave could be humans against Skeletons.

To me it seems like Lego is going more character and story based in their themes (Ninjago, Chima, Ultra Agents) and of course licensed themes are mostly like that. Based on that (and the rumor that a game and show are supposedly planned to go with this line) I'm sticking to my theory from back in April...(paraphrased below)

"The new Castle will have characters (but hopefully not Power Ranger Knights), it will have playsets (which most of the Ninjago and Chima buildings were pretty good for their theme) and it will have vehicles (although these may take on a more steampunk or World of Warcraft look instead of a modern or futuristic look)."

I really like that idea! Hopefully the vehicles will be more like siege engines, war chariots, and battle wheels than Ninjago and Chima.

I actually wouldn't mind that. Chima did it pretty good, especially with that elephant vehicle thing. World of Warcraft is very popular so I could see them doing something eerily similar to it. I would just hope for Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, Elves, and Humans to complete a nice fantasy theme.

I think we can certainly use different colors in castles without the fantasy element. Of course, I think 2013 was a fantasy wave since there was an evil wizard and a dragon.

A tan / dark tan castle would be great. I think the heraldry should avoid both lions and dragons so they can come across as a new faction instead of a reboot. It has been a long time since we have a stag or a wolf. That would also help feed Games of Thrones MOCs without acquiring such an adult content license.

Yes, a tan castle would be great!

I'd like eagles/falcons for the good ones

I would just like nicer castles. Some chariots would be nice, so would wagons and coaches...... Siege equipment like catapults. Hopefully in 2016 something nice comes out of the castle line. I would even like some village elements.

I can definitely see TLG using elves as a faction if indeed it will be fantasy based.

I would like a little more realism in terms of set designs. Fully built castles would be welcome and I also agree some village elements. Say a town or inn where the Knights have to defend it. There are a multitude of ideas they could do. I would like to see a fully formed castle line this time round. (Even the return of pirates was rather light in set designs.) Similar to what they did for Chima and Ninjjago for the amount of sets and ideas used.

I'm dying of anticipation to find out what TLG has in mind and what it will look like.

I'm dying of anticipation to find out what TLG has in mind and what it will look like.

I know what you mean. We cannot get new information soon enough. But on the other hand I'm trying not to get too excited so if if the new line turns out to be kind of weak like the pirate release I won't be too disappointed (I'm a bit scared that Lego will never see the Castle theme as a serious theme and only release kiddie/Junior like sets like last time). Regardless of what they release I'll probably get at least some of it, but I'm sure we would all love a theme we can be excited about and buy all the set of it.

For me everything that comes closes to the kingdoms line would be perfect. The medieval market ( although not official kingdoms line, but still resembles it much more than the castle line) and the mill raid where excellent sets, for which I had to pay to much to get it after coming out of the dark ages.

I Love the realism that line had, just like the first ninja line which was composed of excellent builds.

Whatever the sort of line it whil be, I hope they do a lot of different sets, compared to chima and star wars, most castle & pirate lines get so few sets.. :cry_happy:

I know what you mean. We cannot get new information soon enough. But on the other hand I'm trying not to get too excited so if if the new line turns out to be kind of weak like the pirate release I won't be too disappointed (I'm a bit scared that Lego will never see the Castle theme as a serious theme and only release kiddie/Junior like sets like last time). Regardless of what they release I'll probably get at least some of it, but I'm sure we would all love a theme we can be excited about and buy all the set of it.

According to some members here, the wave is supposed to be pretty big, so you don't have to worry about it being like pirates size-wise. However, it looks like it'll be Chima's replacement, and that could influence set design in a bad way.

I don't believe it will be an ADULT-oriented theme.

So I expect lame weapons, lame vehicles, etc.

Nevertheless, I expect nice minifigures and useful parts so I'll buy sets for the pieces, not for the way they are intended to come out.

I don't believe it will be an ADULT-oriented theme.

I don't believe any Castle theme has ever really been "adult-oriented", but that hasn't stopped many of them from being quite popular with adults and children alike.

I don't believe any Castle theme has ever really been "adult-oriented", but that hasn't stopped many of them from being quite popular with adults and children alike.

Ok, let's say it again: recently we had themes with dark colors, very detailed... and childish themes with bright colors and little detail.

The first ones were what I was inetnding as ADULT

Isn't LEGO a toy marketed towards children? Has LEGO ever released a set specifically for adults with an age of 18+ ?

I personally never thought about it so I don't know.

Isn't LEGO a toy marketed towards children? Has LEGO ever released a set specifically for adults with an age of 18+ ?

I personally never thought about it so I don't know.

Well I thought sets 16+ are meant for adults.... since they have no ending age

Ok, let's say it again: recently we had themes with dark colors, very detailed... and childish themes with bright colors and little detail.

The first ones were what I was inetnding as ADULT

And despite all the differences in design choices, they are ALL still aimed at children. Some Castle themes have been more enjoyed by adults than others, but that doesn't change the fact they are still designed for kids. Even Lord of the Rings, as your example of "adult" design, is design intended for children. Adults like to complain about certain themes more than others...but at their core, adults aren't the intended audience for any Castle theme (or LotR).

From a

Well I thought sets 16+ are meant for adults.... since they have no ending age

From a quick search, I see the Modulars are 16+ and the Death Star (10188) is 12+. My son and his friend built the Death Star when they were 7-yo. I see the age on the box more as a suggestion. Regardless of what the next castle sets are, I'm sure they will find their way into my house.

Don't most of us on here see the sets as parts packs most of the time, while sets like The Kingdoms Joust and Medieval Market village are pretty much perfectly designed straight out the box? This is just my opinion and I am not a good builder yet that is why I have this view.

And despite all the differences in design choices, they are ALL still aimed at children. Some Castle themes have been more enjoyed by adults than others, but that doesn't change the fact they are still designed for kids. Even Lord of the Rings, as your example of "adult" design, is design intended for children. Adults like to complain about certain themes more than others...but at their core, adults aren't the intended audience for any Castle theme (or LotR).

Adults may not be the main audience, but Lego still tries to cater to them and throw them a bone when they can. The Council of Elrond set is a perfect example. That wasn't really a hit amongst kids (or so we assume seeing the deep discounts it received), but according to this thread it was the hands down the favorite wave two set amongst AFOLs (and was fifth overall). Adults really wanted a Rivendell set and they got one. I don't think kids were really clamoring for Rivendell or Arwen. Similarly we got the Mouth of Sauron in the Black Gates set. That character was only from the extended editions of the film and most find him pretty scary for younger kids.

Speaking of which, the age for the LotR movies is PG-13 which is a suggested age of 13+. I think it's pretty safe to say some lines, like the LotR, are definitely designed for children but have adults in mind as well. They have things that are specifically made to appeal to adults in their sets. As others have said, the big D2C sets like Orthanc are also geared more towards adults. Is a kid really going to go into a store and buy an elaborate $200 tower? I think not. Most will buy the $30 or 50 dollar X-wing with lots of minifigures and play features and leave the more model-esque $200+ X-wing to the adults.

LOTR is not Castle, the target audiences were different. Castle is generally aimed at 8-9 year olds, LOTR was aimed at 11-12 year olds + AFOLs.

LOTR is not Castle, the target audiences were different. Castle is generally aimed at 8-9 year olds, LOTR was aimed at 11-12 year olds + AFOLs.

I agree Castle is aimed more at kids than say other themes like LotR or Star Wars (and the UCS), but Castle still has some adult oriented sets as well. Medieval Market Village and Kingdoms Joust are two good examples. Both were ages 12+ and $100+ sets. That's not to say they were made exclusively for adults, they just seemed to be geared more towards them than a regular set, and more for slightly older kids.

^ Those two sets are great examples, more of the same please.

Things are getting off topic in this thread. I've seen this image before but it leads me to think that the new castle line would use this design of heraldry and uniform. Purple with a tower. Seems odd to create something like this for an event but not have it in the brick?

post-55694-0-64703800-1431992272_thumb.jpg