zombies are not gonna happen lol. Has anyone been wondering what the new shield mold from cmf egyptian will be used for? hmmmm

We have been talking about that in the S13 thread since november when we first saw it

We have been talking about that in the S13 thread since november when we first saw it

No shet, i ment talk about things we know not garbage dogy wishlists.

What I would love to see is modular castle builds. Break the obilitory castle down into different parts such as walls, towers, keep, gatehouse etc, would think LEGO would sell them by the truckload. Add in various minifigs and other elements and you would have something that would allow kids to build that really cool castle over time and AFOL's to just go nuts. Could do the same thing with various medieval buildings in a town setting, a similar type thing as the City creator sets, but for Castle. There is so much scope to do more than the poor effort they spun out a few years ago.

Are the CMF molds as durable as other LEGO molds? We see them to limited reuse, but can the new Egyptian Warrior shield really be used for every new shield going forward? I suspect it won't.

Still you could get much more complex coat of arms on them. That would be appreciated.

What's there to really talk about there though? It's a reasonable assumption that they'll use the new shield mold, which is great, but the real news would be what heraldry is printed on it?

What I would love to see is modular castle builds. Break the obilitory castle down into different parts such as walls, towers, keep, gatehouse etc, would think LEGO would sell them by the truckload. Add in various minifigs and other elements and you would have something that would allow kids to build that really cool castle over time and AFOL's to just go nuts. Could do the same thing with various medieval buildings in a town setting, a similar type thing as the City creator sets, but for Castle. There is so much scope to do more than the poor effort they spun out a few years ago.

A lot of us are thinking in this direction. I'm presently working on some MOCs in the lego set style (using more panels than I would prefer) with an eye toward build, play features and brick count that are done with this in mind. Hopefully be posting on that soon.

Are the CMF molds as durable as other LEGO molds? We see them to limited reuse, but can the new Egyptian Warrior shield really be used for every new shield going forward? I suspect it won't.

The highlander long sword started in the CMF and that's made it's way into Middle Earth and 2013 Castle, so I don't see why the new bigger shield wouldn't. As far as completely replacing the original shield design, I can see that going either way. The highlander sword didn't replace the short sword, but on the other hand, we already have the kite/teardrop shield for mounted knights. I would think if a theme is going to use more than one shield design, it's going to be the kite and one infantry type shield. In this case, likely the egyptian mold.

Agreed. While this idea would be AMAZING for us AFOLs, it would probably be lost on younger kids who weren't even alive when the older factions were released. To make it worse it would probably just confuse them. Why do some soldiers have a falcon on their chest, some a wolf, some a dragon, some a lion, etc. when they are all zombies supposed to be together?

While I agree its just a pipe dream, it could simply be a shout-out for AFOLs, with no bearing or consequence on whether it would be lost on younger kids. And I think youre underestimating the kids. :tongue: After all, there is a precedent - the Crusaders had both the lion crest and the crossed axes crest.

zombies are not gonna happen lol. Has anyone been wondering what the new shield mold from cmf egyptian will be used for? hmmmm

I have a hunch the new shield mold might be used for... a shield?

But arent modern Castle sets like that? The square Castles can be configured however you like, with the possible addition of the additional gatehouse sets and whatnot. By contrast, what I would like to see, however unlikely, is a return of castles on raised baseplates. Which are the alternative to the modular style castles. Though I guess the trend is toward greater modularity.

I hate to be the "wet blanket" but I'm pretty sure (based on their previous releases and treatment of the theme) Lego will always see Castle as a "kiddy" theme, and while it's an "Evergreen", it's not one as big as City or Space. And while I would love to see Modular Castles as well (even if it is just to the degree that they did Helm's Deep) I doubt we'll get anything more than panel castles the next time they do a castle line (and assuming Minecraft isn't their secret Castle line).

I would think we are more likely to see that Egyptian shield in an Adventure line before we see it in a Castle line. Personally I would rather see that Roman Tower shield make a return in a Castle line themed around the last days of the Roman Empire in England.

But arent modern Castle sets like that? The square Castles can be configured however you like, with the possible addition of the additional gatehouse sets and whatnot. By contrast, what I would like to see, however unlikely, is a return of castles on raised baseplates. Which are the alternative to the modular style castles. Though I guess the trend is toward greater modularity.

Sort of, but where's the blacksmith or armory that plugs in so you can expand? The hinged wall with small tower that comes with a siege weapon that allows you to change the shape?

Expanding my old castle sets is/was one of the best parts...

LS-KingsExt2.jpg

LC-BlackMonarchExt.jpg

And while I would love to see Modular Castles as well (even if it is just to the degree that they did Helm's Deep) I doubt we'll get anything more than panel castles the next time they do a castle line...

I don't think anyone is expecting anything other than panel castles, and the original castles (panel construction) were also the original modular builds. (see above)

I would think we are more likely to see that Egyptian shield in an Adventure line before we see it in a Castle line.

That seems highly unlikely.

I hate to be the "wet blanket" but I'm pretty sure (based on their previous releases and treatment of the theme) Lego will always see Castle as a "kiddy" theme, and while it's an "Evergreen", it's not one as big as City or Space. .............

Read the thread from the first page :wink:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the combo of :Castle 07-Kingdoms-Castle 13 probably outsold or were on par with the combo of SPIII-AQ-GS.

City is a giant theme, and I think the only theme that has more sales than City is Star Wars. Castle, Space, Pirates, and City used to all be Lego's evergreen themes, but Pirates has turned into a once in a half-decade thing and City has gone way above.

Then what do you expect we discuss as we know nothing yet? It's a shield and that's it

Still you could get much more complex coat of arms on them. That would be appreciated.

I think, they wouldn't produce a new shield mould if they are not going to reuse it. I bet we'll see it again.

A lot of the new moulds of the CMF line have been reused at some point in other themes, like the S11 Yeti head, the S6 Highland Battler's sword, S8 Santa's headpiece, S4 Hazmat Guy's headpiece, ...

The Egyptian shield seems tailor-made for Castle, especially since it bears the newer handle favored by almost all modern shields (Boromor, Eomer, the kite shield). I expect it's the replacement for the classic Castle shield in much the way the newer short sword is a replacement for the classic version.

I like the idea of a more modular Castle theme, with different structures rather than just the typical "Castle/Gatehouse/Carriage" assortments. Components more like the old days in the '80s would be nice, a section of wall perhaps with a fold, maybe a tower distinct from the ones used in the large castle to add variety, a Guarded Inn or Blacksmith kinda build attached to a section of wall, maybe a stable or merchant's store to help expand it from just a castle fortress to a walled town...

I'm going to go to the Lego store sometime in the next week to take advantage of the double VIP points. I'm also going to see if the store manager I talked to in January is there so I can check to see if he has seen anything new.

Anybody have any questions that they would like me to ask him? :classic:

I'm going to go to the Lego store sometime in the next week to take advantage of the double VIP points. I'm also going to see if the store manager I talked to in January is there so I can check to see if he has seen anything new.

Could you ask him when should we expect the official announcement?

Will do, I'm curious about that myself. Getting a little bored waiting for info (If you couldn't tell) :wink: . I've been waiting 3 years for some good sets, and now that we know there will finally be new sets, time seems to slow down. :hmpf_bad:

Sure, ask him if the current Pirates theme is a one-wave thing.

Just picked up a crocodile tribe pack set. I'm hoping the new Castle includes nice battle packs like chima has

Even better if they aren't named characters

Castle 2013's Forest Ambush was almost that, but like some SW battle packs had 2 of each faction...I'm still tempted to get 1 or 2 more, just for fodder. But yeah, some nice battle packs with fairly generic characters that can be mixed around easily... I'd go for that!

I'd love a hardcore Fantasy theme - think Game of Thrones, Malazan book of the Fallen and LotR combined, but that is highly unlikely... :sad:

My wishlist:

Ambush at the bridge

• 2 figs, an elf with sword and an orc/troll
  • 100pcs
  • Arched bridge, with 'collapsing function', some foliage
  • 10$

Treetop outpost

• Elven outpost
  • Two elfs, an orc/troll and a knight
  • Large central tree, with a catapult and a falling branch
  • ram for the bad guys
  • 210pcs/24$

Mage battle

• 16x16 diorama type scene
  • Two mage's (hooded, with cloaks, not pointy hat wizards), an orc and two knights
  • Diorama has scorched earth, burnt trees, etc.
  • 'Firebolt' shooter (new spring loaders) concealed in a broken-down wall
  • 480pcs/55$

Knight castle

• Smaller than usual castle
  • 2 elves, a bad guy mage and three knights
  • you get the drift...

'The Bestiary'

• Bad guy fort
  • cage's with various creatures
  • big dragon
  • brick-built griffon
  • Recolored eagle for ravens
  • 3 orcs, two bad guy mages, two knights, an elf and a handler

And finally a MMV type set.

Castle 2013's Forest Ambush was almost that, but like some SW battle packs had 2 of each faction...I'm still tempted to get 1 or 2 more, just for fodder. But yeah, some nice battle packs with fairly generic characters that can be mixed around easily... I'd go for that!

Lego also released army builder blister packs for their 2013 Castle line. Of course they were not near as good of deal as the Forest Ambush set seeing as they had almost half as many pieces, no dog, and were $3 more, but they did allow you to get only one faction if that's all you wanted, and some fully armored knights which is always nice I guess.

Lego also released army builder blister packs for their 2013 Castle line. Of course they were not near as good of deal as the Forest Ambush set seeing as they had almost half as many pieces, no dog, and were $3 more, but they did allow you to get only one faction if that's all you wanted, and some fully armored knights which is always nice I guess.

The drawback of those blister packs ( the Castle Knights are still available on Lego Shop here in Europe) is the cost nearly as much as a licensed battle pack but they don't have the "vehicle-equivalent" of them. So they are quite expensive for what you get.

However, like you said, they give us four Minfigures from the same faction, which is a very good thing :classic:

I nabbed a Dwarf Battle Pack years ago, after they'd retired, for about $20 since I was desperate to get some dwarves to populate the Dwarven Mine I never did buy (oops). A few years later and I've assembled over 40 dwarves after my humble beginnings of a BP and a Mine Defender... but that was when the BPs had five figures. That was the biggest disappointment with the 2013 sets; cheaper to BL extras from the often-discounted Forest Ambush or piecemeal, possibly--usually the soldier/knight torsos from 2013 are fairly cheap, as are the helmets and legs. The new short swords are fairly cheap as well since so many sets with them have extras.

BPs, more SW-style/Forest Ambush-style, with 4 figures and different siege weapons or carts/wagons could be fun! This faction gets a catapult, that faction gets a ballista (tho they'd probably get a catapult in a larger set, too, with the opposing faction's gatehouse/tower/prison). Maybe a civilian set of a merchant and his nonaligned guards or some peasants taking crops/livestock to market.

Forest Ambush is a great little set, I hope they have some similarly good sets in the next line. Most of the non-minifig parts are fairly useful, and its always good to get more leaves. I just wish the dog was a goat. :laugh: I may be somewhat biased though since I paid between $5.50 and $8 for each of mine, never the full $12. Sets definitely seem better when you get them cheap.