Aren't we getting too far?

List for sets and we haven't even confirmed castle for 2016?

I reckon there's a lot of hype but... isn't this a bit too much?

Not any worse than the people keeping LOTR alive lol

anyone seen this? hmmm.. it gives me hope but tons of questions..

https://flic.kr/p/qQAGEC

Edited by Durins Bane

Shady Port - $89.99 - 1 Dwarf, 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Archer, 2 Lizardmen, 1 Drow Wizard, 1 Drow, 1 Goblin

The build for this set would include a smallish boat and then a dock. Think similar to the two Hobbit Lake-town sets combined. It would be somewhat modular and have 3-4 small buildings with dock that could be hooked together in different formations. Boat would have flickfire missiles and one building would be a tower with catapult launcher for play feature. Prison with exploding wall, and dock that explodes would be included.

That's the best idea for a successor to MMV that I've yet read; my only criticism being that as described it would be a repeat of the Lake-town sets. There is also prior form in the Imperial Trading Post from the original Pirate line. My suspicion would be that the $89 price bracket is optimistic and yet that corresponds to the sum of the two Laketown sets, but if I look at something like 70728 Battle For Ninjago City it's a $120 set but significantly more imposing than the handful of building fronts that the Laketown Sets provide.

The most important thing for any TLG play set (and everything bar the UCS models is a play set) is that it has a story line that can be acted out by the children that build it. A shady port has plenty of options for play and play-features in terms of hidden passages and smuggling (few AFOLs appreciated the play features in the Modular Detectives Office but those things do appeal to children).

Some comments questions regarding proposed/fantasized minifigs and creatures, races and/or factions.

Wave 1- 4 Factions: Lions+Elves vs Goblins+Vipers.

Wave 2-1 Faction: Dwarves.

Wave 3-1 Faction: Lizard People.

Vipers & Lizard people?!? Really? :sceptic: As in (or somewhat like) the reptilians from Ninjago from two waves/years ago? Or the new snake minifigs from NInjago from 2015?! I hope not! Then you might as well start collecting all those Ninjago sets with those type of figures in it. No need to wait for a new castle theme for that. I do like some of those Ninjago villain minifigs, but no way is that what I will be hoping for when TLG releases a new Castle theme.

Wave 1

Elf Accessory Set – $14.99 - 2 Elven Swordsmen, 2 Elven Archers, 1 Elven Magician

Drow Accessory Set - $14.99 - 5 Drow

Forest Lookout - $11.99 - 1 Human Footman, 1 Human Archer, 1 Orc,1 Goblin, 1 Dire Wolf (similar to the dog mold but slightly larger(?) and more feral looking)

Elven Ambush - $29.99 - 1 Elven Swordsman, 1 Elven Archer, 2 Drow, 1 Black Horse

Mine Raid - $39.99 - 2 Dwarves, 1 Orc, 2 Goblins

Orc Outpost - $69.99 - 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Archer, 1 Dwarf, 1 Orc King, 1 Orc, 2 Goblins, 1 Large Red(or Black) Dragon

King's Fortress - $99.99 - 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Footman, 1 Human Archer, 1 Elf Archer, 1 King, 2 Orcs, 1 Drow, 1 Armored Horse

Wave 2

Human Accessory Set - $14.99 - 1 Human Knight, 2 Human Footsoldiers, 2 Human Archers

Orc Accessory Set - $14.99 - 3 Orcs, 2 Goblins, 1 Dire Wolf

Treasure Hide Away - $9.99 - 1 Elven Archer, 2 Lizardmen

Troll Bridge - $24.99 - 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Footman, 1 Goblin, 1 Troll

Farm Attack - $34.99 - 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Peasant, 2 Orcs, 1 Dire Wolf, 2 Chickens, 1 Cow (?)

Elf Encampment - $59.99 - 1 Elven Magician, 1 Elven Swordsman, 1 Elven Archers, 1 Centaur, 2 Drow

Shady Port - $89.99 - 1 Dwarf, 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Archer, 2 Lizardmen, 1 Drow Wizard, 1 Drow, 1 Goblin

Wave 3

Dwarf Accessory Set – $14.99 - 5 Dwarves

Lizardman Accessory Set - $14.99 - 5 Lizardmen

Goblin Engineer - $19.99 - 1 Elven Archer, 1 Centaur, 1 Goblin, 1 Armored Brown Horse

Gryphon Peak - $49.99 - 2 Dwarves, 3 Lizardmen, 1 large molded Gryphon

Orc War Machine - $69.99 - 3 Dwarves, 2 Orcs, 1 Goblin, 1 Lizardman, 2 Trolls

Market Village Assault - $99.99 - 1 Human Knight, 1 Human Footsoldier, 1 Elven Swordsmen, 1 Human Peasant, 1 Dwarf, 2 Drow, 1 Lizardman, 1 Orc, 2 Chickens, 1 Dire Wolf

Do you mean Griffin? Where U wrote Gryphon? Griffin: a legendary creature with the head, talons, and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion. If TLG can design one that looks good, with plenty of articulation points, like the dragons (Smaug; Red/Black dragon from 2013 Castle; Green/Gold dragon from 2008 Castle set: Troll warship; etc.) then yes why not. Though a warg size deer, elk or moose (just like the those white/grey and brown ones from the Hobbit) would be just as, or even be nicer.

Again; Lizard men?! really? :look:

Dark Elves or Drows as you refer to them could be interesting. But what colour to choose for them? Fluorescent white so they will glow green in the dark maybe? Black does not work so well on minifigs I think. Remember the Fantasy Era black skeleton warriors? Their face prints looked really dull, and did not stand out. Goblins are usually green, trolls green, tawny, or grey. The humans and elves will all have classic yellow heads :classic: and the dwarfs too.

I definitely would love more civilian style medieval/fantasy humans in the mix. And also more female minifigs. Some peasants, some craftsmen, merchants, princes, princesses, as well as kids. I feel that if TLG will put more individual characters with hairpieces and hats in the mix, whom you can dress up as combatants with extra armour pieces (body armour/harnass), and helmets and shields and swords, axes etc. You don't have to have so many sets containing so many identical minifig torso elements. Unless you want to build a huge army.

If the theme is going to be around for three years (and yes all of this is pure conjecture and wishful thinking) then I hope TLG will not flood (like Ninjago or Chima) the market with too many sets every year. People need to get the chance to save up and buy and collect them all too, if they are of course desirable sets. Five to seven sets tops in one year will be enough. Not counting polybags (which are never or hardly ever available in my country any way), battle packs, or an advent calender. And otherwise I hope that TLG will keep a wave in production for a little longer if they think inundating the market all at once with many sets is a good thing.

Also I hope the heraldry will be as beautiful as that of the 2010 Kingdoms and 2007 Castle line, or that of the classic castle sets from 1984 until mid 1990's. But definitely NOT like last theme from 2013; well at least with regard to those crown/lion knights, or that King Leo's sigil from 2000 and that other royal knights Lion emblem. I hope TLG will be inspired by actual historic medieval heraldry and coat of arms designs for the sigils of the various houses to which the knights, elves, goblins/trolls belong.

On a last note Lego is after all a construction toy; I hope all the sets will be interesting to build no matter what size, and contain a good assortment of bricks for MOC'ing too.

Edited by Eru Magnus Valar

Do you mean Griffin? Where U wrote Gryphon? Griffin: a legendary creature with the head, talon..

that was asinine , it is indeed spelled that way too...

Edited by Durins Bane

that was asinine , it is indeed spelled that way too...

No need to be so caustic, I was just wondering if he meant what I thought he could mean with it.

After all, with all the fantasy novels, games, series etcetera around, some mythical creatures become completely different things, or are just totally dissimilar creatures who are nonetheless referred to using similar sounding/written names. E.g.: Wargs in Tolkien's world are giant wolfs, but in George R.R. Martin's books; Wargs are people with the ability to enter the minds of animals and perceive the world through their senses and even control their actions. And a Manticore for instance in these same ASOIAF books is also a completely different looking creature, not at all resembling how in Persian mythology this creature is depicted.

Not at all...these are wish lists for what people would like to see in the next Castle line. People aren't saying "this is how its going to happen". Wish lists are simply people expressing what they'd like to see, or think would be fun ideas....why put a limit on that?

I would say much better since we know castle will return as it's just a matter of when. With middle earth sinking into the great sea I see this thread a much more constructive outlet.

If we are going the way of Fantasy, I would rather have a more limited amount of factions. Perhaps humans and either dwarves or elves. I think that goblins / orcs make sense for the evil faction.

Pirates this year is using Blue Coats that fit well with the CMF Revolution Soldier. I think that the CMF goblin would likely fit well with Fantasy 2016.

I would be very frustrated if skeletons come back as a faction. I never bought a Fantasy set but I still have enough skeletons to challenge any of my other groups (except Romans).

People are hoping for a new fantasy castle line aimed at older kids than the last castle line, maybe with elves and dwarves as well as men. Sound like anything we have seen recently? I hate to tell you this but licences help sell sets so why would that revisit this so soon after LOTR and Hobbit?

That is the rumor we are all discussing. If it was up to a list of AFOL wishes, Fantasy might win out but I would rather have a return of Forestmen, Black Falcons, and Lion Knights (from the same era).

Chima will be gone by 2016 but there will still be Ninjago for the younger kiddies. I would rather not have a junior line for Castle.

Even though those "forecasts" may be, or may look, unrealistic they can't harm :wink:

They are just hoping, making speculations and have some fun during the process so all is fine :classic:

Hi guys, I'm technically new but I've been reading content from this site for several years.

Recently we learned that there will be no Castle sets in 2015. Knowing this, I went to my local Lego store and tracked down the store manager. I asked him if he knew if there were any Castle related products coming out that he knew of, and, to my surprise, he did. He said that Lego had sent him a memo recently that said they were working on a new Castle line due out late 2015- Mid 2016 at the latest.

When I asked him what kind of Castle theme it would be, he said "It's a lot like the Castle theme from a few years ago, the one with the Dwarves and Trolls." I believe that this is referring to the 2007-2009 Castle line. He also said that the current Castle line will receive no further products and should be off the shelves soon.

I am not sure if this is true, but it sounded like it was and the man seemed to know what was going on at Lego.

If this is true....... :excited: :excited:

Please discuss.

The problem is this is not a wish list topic this is a I have info topic and there is no way it should have made 9 pages. Wish list topic is fine, reliable sauce topic is fine this is nether.

Sorry :sceptic:

Edited by SMC

Although all those wish-lists sound really cool (I would definitely get them all) they remind me to much to the Hobbit/LotR theme. Due to the fact that we already got elves, dwarves, orcs,... in that theme I doubt we will get such factions once more in the next Castle line....

Nope but that looks to me like a small preview of what to expect. Humans in purple armour!

That's the best idea for a successor to MMV that I've yet read; my only criticism being that as described it would be a repeat of the Lake-town sets. There is also prior form in the Imperial Trading Post from the original Pirate line. My suspicion would be that the $89 price bracket is optimistic and yet that corresponds to the sum of the two Laketown sets, but if I look at something like 70728 Battle For Ninjago City it's a $120 set but significantly more imposing than the handful of building fronts that the Laketown Sets provide.

It would definitely be similar to the Lake-town sets, but not exactly the same. I imagine it looking much more dark and run down than Lake-town and with less snow. A place you would never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I don't think it being released so close to the Lake-town sets would be an issue. Remember it's going to be at minimum a year and a half between the last LT set and when this set would even hit shelves. If the Hobbit wave came out mid-2014, and the new Castle theme is supposed to be released late 2015 or 2016, and this is a set from wave two, that's realistically a 2-3 year gap. I heard Lego was trying to steer away from the high priced retail sets and focus more on the smaller ones so that's why I tried to keep this (and all the rest) of my dream sets under the $100 price tag.

Do you mean Griffin? Where U wrote Gryphon?

It's the same thing, just a common alternative spelling.

Dark Elves or Drows as you refer to them could be interesting. But what colour to choose for them? Fluorescent white so they will glow green in the dark maybe? Black does not work so well on minifigs I think. Remember the Fantasy Era black skeleton warriors? Their face prints looked really dull, and did not stand out. Goblins are usually green, trolls green, tawny, or grey. The humans and elves will all have classic yellow heads :classic: and the dwarfs too.

I was thinking a dark gray with red eyes and white hair to make them stand out. A light purple or white skin color could work too though. For the Lizardmen they could be blue or red to make them look different enough from the green Orcs and Goblins. Maybe something similar to the GW Lizardmen maybe...

Edited by Deathleech

And I just hope for a normal castle line without all these fantasy things. Fantasy line, Chima, ninjago, lotr...We have all seen it before.

Whats wrong with two or three factions fighting eachother. Let the kids decide who the evil faction is..

I would be very frustrated if skeletons come back as a faction. I never bought a Fantasy set but I still have enough skeletons to challenge any of my other groups (except Romans).

I hate the skeletons figs (as well as the Battle Droids from Star Wars). That's a main reason I didn't bother including them as a race in my wish list. I could go for some zombies or Dracular type faction, but please no skeletons...

People are hoping for a new fantasy castle line aimed at older kids than the last castle line, maybe with elves and dwarves as well as men. Sound like anything we have seen recently? I hate to tell you this but licences help sell sets so why would that revisit this so soon after LOTR and Hobbit?

Because an original IP allows Lego to focus on other things? Lego can make more vehicles and sets that better fit their building set model. Lego couldn't make certain vehicles or locations if they were never shown in the LotR movies. Instead they had to focus on huge organic environments or structures, neither of which are really a strong suit for sets with price limits and square bricks. Lego also wouldn't have a license dictating what they can and cannot put in their sets (army builders, certain characters per set).

I don't see an issue with a fantasy themed castle line coming out after LotR. The last Hobbit set was released mid-2014. The new Castle theme most likely won't have it's first release until early 2016 at the soonest. That's a year and a half lapse. Plus they released a Castle theme right in the middle of the LotR and Hobbit waves so I dunno why a new Fantasy Castle theme would be any less likely than a "standard" Castle theme with just knights? It's been about the same length of time since we will have gotten either. The excuse that a "fantasy" theme was just done doesn't hold much water when the 2013 Castle line was as basic knights vs knights as you can get.

The problem is this is not a wish list topic this is a I have info topic and there is no way it should have made 9 pages. Wish list topic is fine, reliable sauce topic is fine this is nether.

Sorry :sceptic:

Other than a possible source leaking very vague info, and a cut out, there wouldn't really be anything else to talk about in this thread other than wish lists. I see no issue with people having wish lists or expressing what they hope the next Castle theme will have...

I'm with 'de Gothia' on this matter. I'd prefer sticking with more true to historical medieval life but with detailed "LotR-Hobbit" style builds. A wizard or witch wouldn't be out of the question, but I'd rather LEGO stick with humans v. humans.

Other than a possible source leaking very vague info, and a cut out, there wouldn't really be anything else to talk about in this thread other than wish lists. I see no issue with people having wish lists or expressing what they hope the next Castle theme will have...

Well, all these endless wishlists made me stop reading everything middle Earth related. It'd be a shame if the same happened again.

Although all those wish-lists sound really cool (I would definitely get them all) they remind me to much to the Hobbit/LotR theme. Due to the fact that we already got elves, dwarves, orcs,... in that theme I doubt we will get such factions once more in the next Castle line....

We probably will, in fact. Lotr and Hobbit have no power over the Castle theme because they are gone. As Deathleech mentioned, Lego now has more freedom to do what they want with their Castle line starting next year. An example would be a model for some Elves (E.x. : a prison wagon) that was never in the Hobbit films. Once again, Lotr and the Hobbit no longer dictate what Lego has to do with the Castle line, and Lego likes that.

Well, all these endless wishlists made me stop reading everything middle Earth related. It'd be a shame if the same happened again.

Oh, BTW, have you checked out Hobbit 2014 recently? Total chaos.

That's from a traveling museum exhibit that's been around at least a couple of years. I don't think there's any chance of seeing that design in real life.

Edit: looks like it's at least 5 years old...

http://www.baylor.edu/mayborn/index.php?id=73513

I do like the tower heraldry though.

Edited by SirBlake

That's from a traveling museum exhibit that's been around at least a couple of years. I don't think there's any chance of seeing that design in real life.

Edit: looks like it's at least 5 years old...

http://www.baylor.ed...ex.php?id=73513

I do like the tower heraldry though.

Maybe the knight pictured is based off of some preliminary designs that Lego will release next year? Unlikely, but purple and black is a really enticing and new color scheme for the good guys.

Maybe the knight pictured is based off of some preliminary designs that Lego will release next year? Unlikely, but purple and black is a really enticing and new color scheme for the good guys.

I'd be fine with that, but it seems unlikely to me.

I'd be fine with that, but it seems unlikely to me.

Yeah, I'd expect another Lion, because Lego thinks that good guys are only Lions and bad guys are only Dragons.................................. but this time we'll have something other than Dragon Knights as enemies. That's something to look forward to! :wink: