I was told back in September by some people... in the know... that 2016 will be an awesome year for a person like me who is a fan of epic fantasy. I wasn't able to squeeze more information out of them, what with NDAs and all, but this rumor coincides with what I was told.

Could always have a goblin raid on peasant villagers! If a theme takes about 18 months to design and produce then perhaps the new castle line is what we all wish for and will last longer than a year. Lego usually likes to keep storylines simplistic hence the whole evil wizard vs Knights characterizations. Perhaps a little more complexity in terms of a story may yield better results than 2013?

Edited by Wodanis

I was told back in September by some people... in the know... that 2016 will be an awesome year for a person like me who is a fan of epic fantasy. I wasn't able to squeeze more information out of them, what with NDAs and all, but this rumor coincides with what I was told.

Sounds very interesting, and very promising. :sweet: This new info further solidifies what I was told as a true statement. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe, just maybe, this could be a Ninjago-size theme.....we can dream, rights? :grin:

It's funny, here in the Castle "I wants" people are sick of humans v humans and want humans v something else, whereas in the Space "I wants" it's the opposite. 20 years since humans were last the bad guys. But here we are all sick of evil wizards and good knights v bad knights, haha.

With Chima ending up this year it would be great if TLG's next big marketing splash was some kind of castle/fantasy setting. That would mean a long term plan and a big variety of sets/minifigs.

While more civilian sets would be nice, they tend not to be big sellers. Mill Village Raid hung around for a long time at retail for example. My sons get much more fun from putting minifigs into prisons than they do pretending to herd pigs, for instance.

Edited by TeufelHund

With Chima ending up this year it would be great if TLG's next big marketing splash was some kind of castle/fantasy setting. That would mean a long term plan and a big variety of sets/minifigs.

In that case, it may also probably be very childish, like jelly bean knights but 10 years sillier. Those minifigs would be very unique, the sets extremely colourful, and there would be umpteen new moulds wasted. I think I'd prefer Castle to take a back seat and be a "normal" theme. Castle AFOLs like grey, brown, black & green structures & environment, not orange, purple, trans light blue, lime etc. Have you seen this year's Ninjago sets? Too much colour for me. Great for kids though.

I second that! That's what got me involved with the castle themes. Classic Forestmen, falcon and lions oh my!

OHHH YEAAA...These are my Best Castle Themes Ever! Glad i am having them

My sons get much more fun from putting minifigs into prisons than they do pretending to herd pigs, for instance.

:laugh: :laugh:

Well, as long as we can use the sets for MOD/MOC for "normal medieval times". Everybody could be very happy. Oh and I want blond girls! LEGO must be the only toys with so few blond long hair for women.

Ooh, A corroborating rumor! Good to hear.

But now Artanis´s suggestion/warning of a KK2-style theme makes me worried all over again...

What I would like to see is a cross between real life medieval and fantasy.......a touch of Merlin and toss in Robin Hood.

Do you guys think that the Medieval Market Street on Lego Ideas has a chance? It's a pretty big set, probably bigger than MMV if made, but it has over 9300 supporters. Maybe it can come at the same time the new fantasy sets come so that fans of traditional and fantasy Castle fans have something to be happy about?

Just a thought, but we could be in store for a great year for Castle next year if that happens. :excited::moar:

Do you guys think that the Medieval Market Street on Lego Ideas has a chance? It's a pretty big set, probably bigger than MMV if made, but it has over 9300 supporters. Maybe it can come at the same time the new fantasy sets come so that fans of traditional and fantasy Castle fans have something to be happy about?

Just a thought, but we could be in store for a great year for Castle next year if that happens. :excited::moar:

It won't pass the review. It's way too big.

It won't be made as is, but I think there is a chance it would be modified into a sort of medieval modular. Perhaps like the helicarrier it won't get approved but a set along similar lines will be made at a smaller scale.

we need to get over lotr

But we wants it, precious.

We needs it! *gollum* *gollum*

Edited by Artanis I

It won't pass the review. It's way too big.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that the only two projects to hit 10k this review period are the Discworld and the Science Adventures set. The first on, IMHO, seems to obscure and possibly to religious to become a set. The owner of the Science Adventures project already has a set on the shelves, and I read a while back that Lego is less likely to pick two projects from the same person to become sets.

Other projects close to 10k are the Frozen Palace and the Douglas DC-3, and Brickisauria. The Frozen Palace has no chance because a set of the same name just came out. The Jurassic Park sets are coming out soon, and that would make Brickisauria impossible since it would be based on an existing theme. That leaves the DC-3 and the Market Street, since no other projects are gaining support fast enough and probably won't make it this review period.

Both sets are very large, the Market Street is a little bigger, but the DC-3 is easily 1000 pieces. The Market Street's main draw is the fact that there are no Castle or Hobbit themed sets out this year (there are a whole bunch of planes available though) so Lego would be more inclined to make a medieval set because it would have no competition on the shelves. In addition, just like this review period, Lego could make them both.

Vorkosigan also brings up a good point: the MS can be scaled down. Remove the terrain under the feet of the mini figures, and you're looking at a $130 set. This isn't too far from the largest set in most themes. Lego has already shown that they will give Space (Benny's SSS) and Pirates (Sea Cow) a large treat to show them they still care about the fans, so why not the Castle fans? :wink:

It's funny, here in the Castle "I wants" people are sick of humans v humans and want humans v something else, whereas in the Space "I wants" it's the opposite. 20 years since humans were last the bad guys. But here we are all sick of evil wizards and good knights v bad knights, haha.

Eh, I'm not sick of humans v something else in Space, I just want a more varied group of aliens, like an alien empire (or empires) with a few species in their own gear, not just naked bug-people. Or something like a return of Blacktron or a Space Pirates group with a varied membership of humans and non-humans!

But yes, here, definitely a bit tired of humans v humans... 'swhy I love that Shadowmere exists in GoH, using the 2013 Dragon faction gear with orcs, vampires, and all sorts of other types of Nocturnus denizens. :sweet:

Eh, I'm not sick of humans v something else in Space, I just want a more varied group of aliens, like an alien empire (or empires) with a few species in their own gear, not just naked bug-people. Or something like a return of Blacktron or a Space Pirates group with a varied membership of humans and non-humans!

But yes, here, definitely a bit tired of humans v humans... 'swhy I love that Shadowmere exists in GoH, using the 2013 Dragon faction gear with orcs, vampires, and all sorts of other types of Nocturnus denizens. :sweet:

Yeah we all want Blacktron to reappear, because they were cool, and cool bad guys are what's been missing for a long time. Space Police 3 (5-6 years ago) had cool bad guy piratey aliens, but some humans would be nice, instead of the humans being good all the time. Quote Dark Helmet "good... is dumb".

GoH was fun for a bit but I couldn't keep up with it, I dont even know what Shadowmere is. But all those mostly red & black human & non-human Nocturnus armies were fun back in the first year.

I think the last cool bad guys in the Space theme were the UFO ones: Alpha Draconis and his minions. Those were menacing and imposing as heck :wub:

As for Castle 2016, if we are actually getting a Fantasy Era-alike theme, it surely won't be humans vs humans... That'd waste the "fantasy" element of the theme.

so Lego would be more inclined to make a medieval set because it would have no competition on the shelves. In addition, just like this review period, Lego could make them both.

Or they could choose to make nothing. They choose how many winners there are at a review, it could be none, it could be one, it could be more.

Ultimately even if MMS doesn't get made it does remind TLG that there is an appetite out there for Medieval Village Sets; they already know this at heart because the MMV was in production for about 4 years (someone will probably correct me on the exact time period) which is a long time period even by the standards of in-store exclusives. The 2014 castle range was never going to get a UCS set as it was squarely aimed at the younger market segment whilst LOTR was occupying the older market segment and providing UCS/in-store exclusive sets. If we get Castle 2016 there won't be the internal competition with another range which should allow it to use more mature building techniques and there would be space for UCS/in-store exclusives.

Although as AFOLs we might have been frustrated at the juniorisation of the recent Castle range, one could argue that TLG releasing the Castle range at the same time as LOTR shows their commitment to the historic genre. It was a brave move since one range could have been eating away at sales of the other.

We're more likely to see a village set as an exclusive as it is niche market (xFOLS) rather than their core market of children. However I don't see how another village would differ from the MMV, after the castle itself the first things that everyone typically thinks of in a Medieval are a Tavern and a Blacksmith. As xFOLs we probably want more variance but it's likely that we would get more of the same; it's a similar argument/reasoning as to why City is always Firestations, Police Stations and Hospitals.

Edited by The_Cook

I think that ideas set is too big, too much like the one from 2009 and it just looks like a great moc not a set.

I think that ideas set is too big, too much like the one from 2009 and it just looks like a great moc not a set.

Do you mean the 120K pieces set? I agree: it is impossible for it to become an actual set. A wonderful MOC, for sure but it's impossible for Lego to make. Just think at the possible retail price: insane :classic:

EDIT:

Typo corrected.

Edited by BrickSev