Mangetsu

[MOC] UT-AT - Unstable Terrain Artillery Transport

Hello, I have finaly built my first moc. The Unstable Terrain Artillery Transport as seen in Ep III, on Mygeeto, used by the 21st Nova Corps, aka the Galactic Marines, led by marshal commander Bacara and Ki-Adi-Mundi.

The vehicle

Name : Unstable Terrain Artillery Transport, called Trident

Type : repulsorcraft, designed for floatting/levitation on unstable terrain such as bridges

Crew : 26

Length : 23.8 meters

Armament : 1x Artillery turbolaser turret, 2x Medium laser cannon,4x Anti-infantry laser turrets

Motion : 16x repulsorlift skis

13960373557_754fdca00b_z.jpg

The moc

Parts : ~3200

Dimensions (in stud) : 75x28

Minifigs : 26 seats (1 for Bacara, 1 for the pilot, 1 for Ki-Adi-Mundi, 7 for gunners, 4 for sergents, 12 for troopers (Galactic Marines))

Features :

- the cockpit can be removed

- the turbolaser turret can go up and down (thanks to a worm screw)

- the 4 laser turrets have 360° rotation + up and down a few degrees

- there are 6 trapdoors for playability, and 2 (at the back) as real entrance with ladders.

- the 16 repulsorlift skis have shock absorbers

- stickers on the cockpit

Little story

July 2013 : First ideas, - the UT-AT appears during the order 66, with emotionally strong scenes; - it was uncommon and very little known; - Mygeeto is one of my favourite planets (Battlefront II :wub: )...

January 2014 - May 2014 : designing on LDD. After that, I abandonned the idea of building it with real bricks (too expensive..)

January 2015 : no Christmas present received.., I decided to offer me a present, building my moc.

Major issues

LDD :

I was used to designing on LDD, but I had no experience in creating a huge solid structure/chassis. Moc builders on Brickpirate gave me some advice.

Moreover, there is very little information available about the UT-AT. I imagined the interior and tried to give the proper shape to the exterior according to the very few available pictures.

Parts :

7 BL orders and 1 PaB, very difficult to handle it. After building the moc, there were 200 spare parts left ...

Building :

Well, LDD is cool, but does not reflect the reality of physics... Two main issues : the overall weight and the center of gravity which is roughly at the center of the vehicle between the third and fourth line of "repulsorlift skis" thus making the UT-AT incline forward very much. The solution was using springs with different stiffness. I replaced the first 2 springs by (custom) very very hard spring to hold the weight. I put 2 lego spring on each of the 4 next shock absorbers in order to increase the stifness a little. The last 10 shock absorbers keep their spring. Therefore : balance is re-established!

For the cockpit : I tried decals, but I am not very good at it. After a few attempts, I moved on to printable clear stickers.

Pictures

16354710691_9ff31a1228_c.jpg

16170243529_778d0e29e8_c.jpg

16355588202_b9670bcd2c_c.jpg

16330497206_91e1b3d014_c.jpg

16170264269_3e4691e6db_c.jpg

16168869348_9d217904c3_c.jpg

16602931402_4dfd59019c.jpg

More pictures on my flickr.

I have spent a lot of time in my first moc, I hope you like it.

Edited by Mangetsu

Fantastic! Looks brilliant.

I've always wished for LEGO to make this a set and include Commander Bacara with the Galactic Marines.

Can't wait to see your progress with the minifigs!

Great job! This thing is massive, and a perfect representation of the craft. The complex angle plates in the front look perfect, and capture the ships angles to a tee. The guns also look great, especially the thin connection. Is there an interior? I imagine there's a lot of technic superstructure.

Absolut! Really good work and looks so authentic to the original!

Well done!

markus

Well, Wow! great MOC, didn't expect this. I always thought this was a strange vehicle, but you've recreated it very nicely, I can't see any flaws! :thumbup:

Good job ;)

I am not a big fan of the vehicle, but you did an impressive job regarding the angles. You captured them very nicely.

I think you could do something better for the windscreen. Using felt pen is kind of meh. :/

With some SNOT, I am pretty sure you could achieve the grey line. As for the red lines, I am not sure they are absolutely necessary.

It is really impressive, especially with it besides the other 2 vehicles as a size comparison, and it being your first MOC!!

Lovely!

Thank you for your comments! Much appreciated :)

I don't even remember seeing this in Ep 3, but it looks massive. Nice work

It appears during the order 66, seconds before Bacara executed Ki-Adi-Mundi :

13959420419_eb1f74c303_n.jpg

13959451588_4d700fef96_n.jpg

Is there an interior? I imagine there's a lot of technic superstructure.

Actually, I designed it as a lego playset. So I tried to make the interior as large as possible in order to put 26 minifigs and there is room for 2 small speeders at the back. Here the result with minifigs :

16177509909_6a0ef93832_c.jpgUT-AT 022 by Mangetsu16, on Flickr

16337769626_bab5a90ee9_c.jpgUT-AT 026 by Mangetsu16, on Flickr

Good job ;)

I am not a big fan of the vehicle, but you did an impressive job regarding the angles. You captured them very nicely.

I think you could do something better for the windscreen. Using felt pen is kind of meh. :/

With so SNOT, I am pretty sure you could achieve the grey line. As for the red lines, I am not sure they are absolutely necessary.

Thank you and you are are absolutely right, I don't know why I've been focusing so much on the red lines. Maybe because I love the dark red cockpit of the AT-TE.. I will try SNOTs for the grey.

This is the best UT-AT out there! I am positive. Other people have tried, but you have got all the angles and edges spot on, I have yet to see someone else do that. Everything I would have done to make this Tank, you have done and more! The detail on this is great, especially that repulsorlift/feet, I find that to be the most piece consuming aspect. I like the interior detail, especially the command post area. Is there anyway you can show more pictures of the interior? or taken apart more?

This is an absolutely incredible, creation, well done. You've captured the essence of it very well. Now I've got some inspiration to try and finish my own version of an obscure Star Wars vehicle. (at-ap)

This is a great moc, and really accurate model of the ut-at! The only thing I don't like, because of my purist side, is the stickered canopy(the colors don't match). I don't like stickered windows even on official sets.

When I first noticed the LDD files on Flickr I immediately fell in love with this model, and directly stop with my own Ldraw design of this model - sinmply couldn't have done it myself.

Hope you're willing to open-source the digital model for rebuilding, as I would definitely want to build this model. I already have the galactic marines & Bacara to go along with it :-)

Edited by HJR-Holland

You know I already incredibly liked the digital model, but seeing the physical one makes it even better. It's interesting to read the structural wizardry you had to apply. And it resulted in a beautiful model. It recreates the intricate shape perfectly, and looking at all of your pictures on Flickr, I'm amazed by the fact that the model looks incredible from every single angle. Good job! I especially like the dead-on shot. I'm absolutely flabbergasted at how you managed to build such a great shape and keep room for an interior and play features. So some insight in what keeps it all together would be nice.

Apart from the shape, I like all of the details you included. The spine is the absolute highlight for me, with all of those grills and ridges, and the nice cannon. It's incredible how you managed to add little details and colors (a brave thing to do!) to the surface of the tank to make it look very interesting and varied. I think there might be some improvements possible though. A single little detail would be the 'pocket' at the side (towards the backside of the model), that you portrayed with three 4x1 bows. To give a more accurate depiction, maybe you could do something with 1x3 Technic (half)beams and rubber bands, or with minifig backpacks. To give a more varied texture to your model, you could also try to depict some of the 'flaps' on it (like the ones at the side near the Republican logo). A piece like this one might be good there, although I'm not too sure whether the contrast between the studs and a smooth surface will work well. And maybe you could use black Hero Factory fists to mimic the ridges at the side of the main cannon. And to get rid of the stickers, you could try replacing them with a construction of tilted dark red 1xn tiles. You could leave out the transparent pieces if they're in your way. More on the cockpit, it would be nice to have those details where the cockpit meats the hull of the vehicle at the side. There are some interesting ridges there, maybe you could achieve them with flex tubes or bricks with grooves. It might be difficult because the cockpit is built upright. Maybe you could try to build the cockpit as a whole at an angle, but you might loose some of its play value then.

Of course I still love this model. It just gets me inspired to suggest some more details. So keep building incredible stuff!

O, I'm not sure if a MOC ever made it twice, but once again, your awesome creation got

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

This is a great moc, and really accurate model of the ut-at! The only thing I don't like, because of my purist side, is the stickered canopy(the colors don't match). I don't like stickered windows even on official sets.

Thank you. Actually, I don't like it either :laugh: .

Now I've got some inspiration to try and finish my own version of an obscure Star Wars vehicle. (at-ap)

Glad it helped you :)

The detail on this is great, especially that repulsorlift/feet, I find that to be the most piece consuming aspect. I like the interior detail, especially the command post area. Is there anyway you can show more pictures of the interior? or taken apart more?

Well, I tried a lot of different possibilities for the skies. It is part consuming very much but I'm quite satified with the result (it didn't fall into pieces as I'd though it would..)

I'll take more pictures of the interior tomorrow.

When I first noticed the LDD files on Flickr I immediately fell in love with this model, and directly stop with my own Ldraw design of this model - sinmply couldn't have done it myself.

Hope you're willing to open-source the digital model for rebuilding, as I would definitely want to build this model. I already have the galactic marines & Bacara to go along with it :-)

To be honest, I rather not share the LLD file because it's my first moc, I have spent so much time on it and I'm kind of attached to it. Maybe later.

You know I already incredibly liked the digital model, but seeing the physical one makes it even better. It's interesting to read the structural wizardry you had to apply. And it resulted in a beautiful model. It recreates the intricate shape perfectly, and looking at all of your pictures on Flickr, I'm amazed by the fact that the model looks incredible from every single angle. Good job! I especially like the dead-on shot. I'm absolutely flabbergasted at how you managed to build such a great shape and keep room for an interior and play features. So some insight in what keeps it all together would be nice.

Apart from the shape, I like all of the details you included. The spine is the absolute highlight for me, with all of those grills and ridges, and the nice cannon. It's incredible how you managed to add little details and colors (a brave thing to do!) to the surface of the tank to make it look very interesting and varied. I think there might be some improvements possible though. A single little detail would be the 'pocket' at the side (towards the backside of the model), that you portrayed with three 4x1 bows. To give a more accurate depiction, maybe you could do something with 1x3 Technic (half)beams and rubber bands, or with minifig backpacks. To give a more varied texture to your model, you could also try to depict some of the 'flaps' on it (like the ones at the side near the Republican logo). A piece like this one might be good there, although I'm not too sure whether the contrast between the studs and a smooth surface will work well. And maybe you could use black Hero Factory fists to mimic the ridges at the side of the main cannon. And to get rid of the stickers, you could try replacing them with a construction of tilted dark red 1xn tiles. You could leave out the transparent pieces if they're in your way. More on the cockpit, it would be nice to have those details where the cockpit meats the hull of the vehicle at the side. There are some interesting ridges there, maybe you could achieve them with flex tubes or bricks with grooves. It might be difficult because the cockpit is built upright. Maybe you could try to build the cockpit as a whole at an angle, but you might loose some of its play value then.

Of course I still love this model. It just gets me inspired to suggest some more details. So keep building incredible stuff!

Thank you for your interest in my boring stories :laugh: . I like your ideas and suggestions, especially about the "flaps" you mentionned. I don't think my work deserves so many superlatives since there are a lot ot things that can be improved. And I think I won't change anything for now because my UT-AT reflects my beginning in the world of moc builders (hard to translate my idea, the French would say "mes débuts" which is more precise^^). Maybe later, when I have some time..

O, I'm not sure if a MOC ever made it twice, but once again, your awesome creation got

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Wow, thank you, I'm honored, twice :)

Edited by Mangetsu

That's the best lego UT-AT i've seen!

And those galactic marines look great!

Hello ! Tell me, i really love your work on this model, and respect that in 2015 you won't give access to your instructions, 

I've try to make one, with your basis on photos.. Etc.. But i dont get it. 

I want to now if you're ready to sell the instructions maybe ? 

Thank you ! 

And amazing work