eurotrash

MOD: 7-wide version of 60057 Camper Van

7-wide Camper

I managed to grab a discounted 60057 recently and having checked out Rufus's review http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=89850 I agree with some of the comments that the rear is too plain, and there's something wrong with the wheel arches (they lowered the rear one by one plate to accommodate the opening side. Furthermore as a 6-wide it just looked too narrow so over the last couple of days I started ripping it to pieces and making it a full 7-wide. I began my modding the rear.

16169834040_102344b443_c.jpg

I added the bumpers, the ladder, the spare tire, the rear window onto the 7-wide frame.

16356318102_b134458d73_c.jpg

Then to the side I fixed the wheel arch problem (by removing them completely from the rear), added an opening door, and a rolled up awning to the roofline.

I left the front of the vehicle as the original set and now we're ready for adventure in the great outdoors!

15734759474_2cb3d33c83_c.jpg

Comments, criticism and ridicule most welcome!

Edit: Antp asked in one of the comments about changing the windows to 2x2's. Here's that image

15763576773_b6f108dbbe_c.jpg

Edited by eurotrash

Nicely done

Even if that was like that on the original, the Windows seem a little big though, for a camper. Maybe something 2-brick-hight rather than 3-brick-high?

Edited by antp

Wow! A ton better than the original. I just picked one up a discounted one as well. I'm working on a food truck, also expanding the base. Nice.

Nicely done

Even if that was like that on the original, the Windows seem a little big though, for a camper. Maybe something 2-brick-hight rather than 3-brick-high?

You're right! I'll try some 2-brick high ones tonight and see how they look.

Nice updates. I am curious about how you used the increased space inside. Any fun changes there?

My approach for building 7-wides basically involves 1x2 jumper plates on the main longitudinal 2x plate and building up from there. I was a bit limited in LBG plates so the interior is a hodgepodge of cross beams and strengthening bits. To be honest it's pretty ugly.

Wow! A ton better than the original. I just picked one up a discounted one as well. I'm working on a food truck, also expanding the base. Nice.

Thanks, the Camper is a great base to use for building your own vehicle on top - just don't forget to post pictures and share the results with us.

Thanks for all the comments!

Nicely done

How about this then?

15763576773_b6f108dbbe_c.jpg

These 2x2's are just suspended from the white plate above them. They are not attached to the plate (tile) below.

very nice, i like the change in windows as well, but smoked would look nicer like you had.

on the drivers side right in front of the inverted slope wheel there's a 1x1 brick space (could be longer brick set perpendicular) but that would be a good place for a 1x1 headlight brick with a 1x1 tile on it like a small access panel for hook ups.

also, i love the front cab steps, but not sure about the white, grey might look better.

great mod!

Great improvement of the original thing, the offset between cab and body makes it much more realistic. Maybe I would have widened the alcove to 7 studs, too (by using some curved slopes), but that's a minor aspect. Great job! :thumbup:

How about this then?

Indeed, that gives a more realistic window size. As said by droomangroup it would look better with trans-black rather than trans-clear, but I suppose you do not have enough of these small windows in that color?

here's a idea for you too, for the awning on my RV build i used those technic ski poles, then used the technic connectors to make the roll. turned out great. i also used small 1x1 clips above the windows for the smaller window awnings my RV had...

VGZHhZt.jpg

here's a idea for you too, for the awning on my RV build i used those technic ski poles, then used the technic connectors to make the roll. turned out great. i also used small 1x1 clips above the windows for the smaller window awnings my RV had...

<Imaged snipped>

Thanks droomangroup Wow! That looks so much better than the version I'd used before (for my Harry Potter Knight Bus sourced 7-wide Caravan)

14399756835_9e032096d4_c.jpg

Here's a link to that thread. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96636

I'm going to have to order some of the those ski-poles.

:) sweet, yeah i had the same type of rolls you have on some campervans i did, but when i did the big RV, i was like, there as to be a way to do this with some technics bits.

brick on!

Thanks droomangroup Wow! That looks so much better than the version I'd used before (for my Harry Potter Knight Bus sourced 7-wide Caravan)

Oh man, I want to make one of those. Not in purple, though.

I also picked up one of the 60057 Camper Van sets and took inspiration here to widen the van. I thought it needed a slide out though. It seems like all the new campers have these.

More shots here: https://www.flickr.c...57650910983486/

Here's your picture posted.

16614140052_8b968f3392_z.jpg

That's a good looking modification! 7-wide is definitely the way to go.