I ordered a second Servo Motor for another MOC i'm doing, and I wondered what you could do with 2 Servo Motors on one vehicle. I had this spark of an idea and remembered the runner vehicles in Borderlands 2 having a pivoting front wheel setup to turn. For those who don't know what the vehicle looks like, here is a shot. The wheels pivot from the 'drum' looking cylinder towards the front onwards. uVrefRc.jpg

I worked out a little housing for the wheels, and tested the pivoting. It's enough movement; around 45 degrees either way, as I added a stop to prevent the wheels from going completely horizontal.

[http://i.imgur.com/Le1CwuU.jpg"]] [http://i.imgur.com/1xxyohL.jpg"]] [http://i.imgur.com/WcrKCxJ.jpg] [http://i.imgur.com/mTLlfU7.jpg] [http://i.imgur.com/a7H1Yk7.jpg]

I'm a little stuck for how to hold the rear wheel. I know how to connect the front and read wheel together; an angle 3 connector seems to be the right fit, but I'm still not sure how i'd go about bracing the rear wheels. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm experimenting with portal hubs mounted horizontally at the moment. They need to be seperate from the main body so I'm assuming some bevel gears will be necessary.

Will be updated once I work out a basis for the rear wheels.

Edited by derpydragon

Very Nicely done. Did not know of the borderlands games, but just checked and many slick vehicles there, if MOCked properly would certainly qualify for cusoo.

Edited by DrJB

Got the angle to how I wanted it with the front wheels. Sure isn't purty but the mechanics and strength of it is ok at the moment. I suppose once the skeleton is down pat I can pretty it up more.

[http://i.imgur.com/t4xTHwB.jpg]

Also found a potential solution to the central pivot that the 2 sides of the main chassis turn on. Hub + wheel + hub = mounting points ahoy and a smooth turn.

I suggest you to use M-motors. Servo will turn 90 degrees too quick, so your car won't be able to steer during a long turn. You must either gear servo down so car can make full 360 while servo turns (this will be either slow turning or lots of gears) or you can just use M-motors. I did the same mistake when I built mine.

Perhaps. Thing is. I don't have 2 M-Motors at the moment, so the only pair of motors I could use to get the same output on is the servos. If I got my hands on the PF Speed Control remote, I could use that for a slower steering too, or whatever speed I suppose.

Nice! Looking forward to the outcome.

About your pictures. Would it be possible to embed them in the post, using a max resolution of 800 pixels? You cal always use Bricksafe or Flickr. These services can resize images on the fly.

Good luck with it! i was interested on working on one of these for my first fiction-inspired MOC but never thought of how to do the steering, well i still call dibs on the Dune Hopper from Jak 3.

Nice! Looking forward to the outcome.

About your pictures. Would it be possible to embed them in the post, using a max resolution of 800 pixels? You cal always use Bricksafe or Flickr. These services can resize images on the fly.

Sure, I'm signing up for Bricksafe as we speak.

I am absolutely stumped. I don't know whether it's lack of technical knowledge and experience, or lack of parts, or both, but I cannot find a way to make the rear wheels work. I've even tried chain driven, CHAIN DRIVEN rear axles, to be able to get the thin form factor of the back. It works, but it looks like utter garbage, which now that I think of it, so does the rest of this monstrosity. Here's all I've got so far. Convince me with your wise ways Eurobrick, how do I finish this thing.

800x600.jpg

Build it in LDD and some of us might take a look at it. I can already see a couple of possibilities, but I can't confirm them before I have a better understanding of your build...

-ED-

This looks awesome so far. Have been pondering a moc of these cars but my skills are mostly for replicating other peoples work atm :)

I've been 'thinking' about such wheels (in the original post) and really, can they steer the vehicle by just tilting? Pivoting the tires will change the camber and while it may cause 'small' steering, not sure it'll be very effective. On motorcycles, one steers by leaning on either side, and the mechanism that does the steering is the fact that the bike's CG (center of mass) causes a moment that tries to tilt the bike. To prevent the bike from falling, the bike has to follow a curve so that the centrifugal force counters the moment that's trying to tip the bike. In the above vehicle, when the two tires tilt, they do not affect the position of the vehicle's CG ... or am I missing an important point?

Probably. Borderlands doesn't pride itself on realism. This is just how the wheels work in-game. any idea with the current set up how proper steering could be achieved? or may I need to opt for some Batmobile Tumbler-esque steering?

Build it in LDD and some of us might take a look at it. I can already see a couple of possibilities, but I can't confirm them before I have a better understanding of your build...

-ED-

Here you are. Dropbox'ed the lxf for ya. I couldn't seem to find how to flip parts of the model, unless you can't and I'm just a looney. https://www.dropbox....runner.lxf?dl=0

The rear wheel floating behind the built body is, to scale, where it should be when this is complete.

Edited by derpydragon

You have at least two options to transmit power from the motor to the tire.

1. Somehow with gears or a chain, directly from the motor to the axle of the tire/wheel

2. By friction, where the motor spins a small tire, and that tire rubs against and spins the larger tire.

I can mock up some LDD if needed.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture from the rear? I have an idea that should fit, but I'm not sure it will look the part. Would be nice to see before I go through the trouble of mocing it up... Nice start however.

Have you ever used the train remote? It is very slow in activating a servo. Almost hopeless to steer with. If you don't have it already I suggest you spend the money towards a Sbrick in stead. The Sbrick will give you many more opportunities, and may even solve the problem with only wanting 50% movement on the servo. When it comes out of alpha we are supposed to be able to program it to some extent...

-ED-

I did find a video on the youtube showing a guy with a working abit slow as dirt runner moving with accurate steering you could think of it kinda like the front end of a motorcycle but with a lot more caster but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Did some web searching and the first image looks very realistic, but it's not.

http://romagfx.devia...lands-206879904

I was hoping it was from a die-cast model and that'll it'll look good displayed. I was wrong :(

PS: Some of the renders on that site rival with those from BlakBird

Edited by DrJB

I rigged up a bit of a cockpit just to make the two halves seem a little more whole, and boy am I disappointed. The angles I have the front wheels on were made by some precarious lift-arm placement. They aren't strong enough to hold the weight so the whole chassis wants to buckle under it's own weight. Really sucks. I was trying to be a little optimistic but I think this is one for the graveyard. Darsedz gave me an LDD file to test and some pieces are on their way, so that idea may be the last resort, otherwise, it's off to the sorting drawers. =/

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

don't give up yet, this looks like such a neat MOC. if it were easy it would not be fun. Wait a bit and gather more ideas from other EB members.

Edited by DrJB