Sign in to follow this  
davidmull

Newbie question on trains.

I would stick with Lego's own track at first. I don't think the ME track is cheaper than Lego, and is really intended for the more hardcore Lego train enthusiast. I've no doubt their products are good, and I've no doubt that in time davidmull may well come to dececide he wants/needs the extra options offered by ME's tracks, but right now, all it does is confuse the issue when he's trying to just get started.

I've been grabbing quite a few Lego train sets over the last couple of years (although my time has been spent on other themes, so I'm no expert.) My experience of the flexitrack is that it's useful to 'cheat' corners, adjust lengths and generally manage to connect awkward tracks that have been fudged to fit around this, that and the other. Used as tools, they're invaluable, but they're no replacement for curved track - they're a different tool altogether. I've found that, over a couple of years of grabbing bigger train sets cheap, I've gathered enough curves to create complex track layouts without having to resort to bricklink, and without having to overuse flexis in their place. As for flexis being noisy, I find it kind of cool but that's just me enjoying a bit of 'clicketty clack' at certain points in the circuit.

It's not too bad if it's one or two, if you end up having to use a lot in a row (one of my early layouts I ran out of straights and needed a couple of long straight sidings for the Yellow Freight set's container crane), it gets really loud, and worse still, sounds a lot like a derailed train.

ME Models track is an "aftermarket" producer of track that adds larger radii curves and different sizes of straight track.

I'm a bit of a purist so that's out for me.

Don't completely discount them. Some of the geometry of the standard Lego track is... Well it's bloody awful (looking at you points...)... It's fine if you stick to standard Lego designs, and don't modify them at all, which is why I recommended to you to start with just the standard stuff, but if ME ever do better points with metal topped (or just plain metal) rails, I'll bite their hands off!

ME large radii tracks are good if you have the space for them. If you're tight for space in your home, then standard LEGO curves would have to do.

I think so. Amazon.co.uk has it for 94gbp, so €91 is a cheap buy - assuming you have use for it. But even just for the track and Power Functions parts it is a fair deal.

Just seen 60051 high speed train on sale for €91 good price??

In December I ordered 60051 from Amazon UK for £61 (being Canadian I don't pay VAT) but it got damaged in shipping and never arrived. Keep watching the prices, it'll come down more. I also ordered 60052 for £80 at the same time.

I too ordered a train from Amazon UK in December, it arrived, but the packaging and Lego box were destroyed. Fortunately the shrink wrap that was applied at some point held everything together so nothing was missing.

I am a "newby" to trains as well. I started with the 10233 and had a lot of fun adding a second set and making it "power functioned". I have a very small layout and looking to improve it...I already supported the idea from "citizen" (see above) and I am looking for a new lego steam engine set in the future, once is supper expensive to get discontinued ones....

I think so. Amazon.co.uk has it for 94gbp, so €91 is a cheap buy - assuming you have use for it. But even just for the track and Power Functions parts it is a fair deal.

It was originally €131 then came down to €112 and now it's €91. Don't think u will beat that

In December I ordered 60051 from Amazon UK for £61 (being Canadian I don't pay VAT) but it got damaged in shipping and never arrived. Keep watching the prices, it'll come down more. I also ordered 60052 for £80 at the same time.

It's very cheap for here works out at £67. Normal price here is £99. I won't beat that. Also amazon u have shipping costs to here.

David, just FYI, Parcel Motel is a great service if you are buying from the likes of Amazon. Basically, you get it shipped to their UK depot, thus availing of Amazons free shipping. Parcel Motel then bring it to your nominated motel location (there is probably one at your local Topaz station). The motel is essentially a set of lockers. When your package is delivered you will get a text with your locker number and pin. You can then collect when it suits you. So no waiting around for the courier. I forget the exact charge but its very reasonable.

Check out www.parcelmotel.com

The only issue I have found with this is if you buy multiple items from Amazon and they ship separately then you will be charged per package.

I think the ME straight track comes out cheaper per stud than what you can get lego straight track for either direct from lego or from bricklink... but certainly check prices. As long as you don't have long cars (more than 32 studs) the lego curves via bricklink are probably cheapest option and it is the tightest curve for small places. However, another neat thing with the ME tracks is that you can get rails in dark gray and ties in another color. If I did not have a bunch of lego track already I'd be interested in that feature. The ME track does require assembly and is not as durable as the one piece lego track but as long as you are not planning on tearing up your layout every few days it should be fine (the lego track is designed to withstand even the toughest of children).