I like the little AC one from the previous page too. Are you still going to do the advent calendar build in the bag, Splat?

Hi AussieJimbo, I'm glad you like my AC bag build :sweet:

It is now December, so I have started to send each days 7958 Star Wars Advent Calendar 2011 pieces to my brother, one day at a time (I live in Melbourne, but my brother is in Sydney). As Australia Post doesn't work on weekends, I won't have enough days before Christmas to send all the little bags of pieces, so I will send everything except the minifigures (which I will give to him on Christmas Day), and I have changed the order around a little bit to accommodate this. I set him the challenge as follows (remembering that I'm not sending him the instructions with the pieces):

If you build something easily recognisable using 90% of the pieces, you get 10 points.

You can get bonus points if you:

• Use 100% of the pieces: +1 point

• Match the official Lego model (without cheating): +2 points

• Build the model without opening the bag: +3 points

• Build the model while blind-folded: +4 points

• Build the model one handed: +5 points

A maximum of 25 points are available each day.

The instructions for the official Lego model will be sent to you tomorrow.

As you can see, I've thrown in a few twists to the classic bag building technique :grin:

My brother isn't an AFOL, but we grew up playing with Lego together, and I know he still likes to play with it when he can. I'm not sure if he is going to send me updates, but when I see him at Christmas I'll see what he has come up with. Hopefully he will have a bit of fun with this.

The only problem is that the packaging and stamps are costing just as much as the Lego set did :wacko:

Hi AussieJimbo, I'm glad you like my AC bag build :sweet:

It is now December, so I have started to send each days 7958 Star Wars Advent Calendar 2011 pieces to my brother, one day at a time (I live in Melbourne, but my brother is in Sydney). As Australia Post doesn't work on weekends, I won't have enough days before Christmas to send all the little bags of pieces, so I will send everything except the minifigures (which I will give to him on Christmas Day), and I have changed the order around a little bit to accommodate this. I set him the challenge as follows (remembering that I'm not sending him the instructions with the pieces)

If you build something easily recognisable using 90% of the pieces, you get 10 points.

You can get bonus points if you:

• Use 100% of the pieces: +1 point

• Match the official Lego model (without cheating): +2 points

• Build the model without opening the bag: +3 points

• Build the model while blind-folded: +4 points

• Build the model one handed: +5 points

A maximum of 25 points are available each day.

The instructions for the official Lego model will be sent to you tomorrow.

As you can see, I've thrown in a few twists to the classic bag building technique :grin:

My brother isn't an AFOL, but we grew up playing with Lego together, and I know he still likes to play with it when he can. I'm not sure if he is going to send me updates, but when I see him at Christmas I'll see what he has come up with. Hopefully he will have a bit of fun with this.

The only problem is that the packaging and stamps are costing just as much as the Lego set did :wacko:

Wow. How did you manage to open the alien head bag without ripping the other? Nice work.

Wow. How did you manage to open the alien head bag without ripping the other? Nice work.

That was probably the hardest part, and took about 50% of the whole build time. Through the outer bag, I held onto one side of the smaller inner bag with the alien head in it, then using my other hand I tried to push/squeeze the alien head to the other side of the small bag, until it ripped through the inner bag. Another thing that made this difficult is that the inner bag is made of that stretchy plastic, so it didn't just tear open, I had to spend a lot of time to get it to stretch open.

As hard as that was, it still pales in comparison to actually applying stickers to a bag build.

That was probably the hardest part, and took about 50% of the whole build time. Through the outer bag, I held onto one side of the smaller inner bag with the alien head in it, then using my other hand I tried to push/squeeze the alien head to the other side of the small bag, until it ripped through the inner bag. Another thing that made this difficult is that the inner bag is made of that stretchy plastic, so it didn't just tear open, I had to spend a lot of time to get it to stretch open.

The C-section method is easier than the natural way. Take a pointy piece to start a hole and then work on stretching it either by squeezing the head or bunching up the outer bag, grab both sides of the inner bag and pull. I've done this set 3 times now in my car on slow days. Still can't bring myself to open any of the bags.

Im starting small. I am bag building my Starwars Advent Calender. Albeit I started a little late. I started with day 4 and now on day 5

20111204151207.jpg

slave1l.jpg

Im starting small. I am bag building my Starwars Advent Calender. Albeit I started a little late. I started with day 4 and now on day 5

20111204151207.jpg

slave1l.jpg

Nice, I started bag building my advent calendar but got frustrated and opened them. I only have Gunray still built in the bag for safe keeping, but he wasent hard at all.

I saw this a while back but, since I am not opening anymore new Lego sets, I have't been able to try this. However, I just received my single 7937 Taxi Cab in the mail and decided to give it a go. It was more difficult than I expected, especially extracting each piece, individually, from the small inner bag and attaching the cheese slopes! I don't know how some of you built your larger vehicles...default_huh.gif Anyway, by the end of IRT Deadliest Roads, I finished it... If I could only apply the stickers default_classic.gif

7937_taxi_bag_build_2.jpg

7937_taxi_bag_build_1.jpg

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

I finnaly gave it ago and didn't give up in frustration. I bag built the day 12 SW advent callander T47 speeder. It was not hard at all but just wanted to do it. I have bag built all my minifis so far from the callandar as they are doubles for me and will keep them sealed. Gunray is sad as he cant sit on his chair :sing: .

Hi,

To see how 'hard' this is:

If somebody can give me a reasonably small model in technic or SYSTEM i will put it in a bag and try and build it.

perhaps I should film it as I build it.

Edited by SNIPE

Maybe this'll add a bit of interest to the bag building idea: A set that a lot of you probably haven't managed to get your hands on yet :)

bagbuild7.jpg

bagbuild8.jpg

bagbuild9.jpg

bagbuild10.jpg

I quite like this set - I don't care much for the ATV, but the pickup truck is nice, especially the colour.

I also got 4436, the patrol car, but that came in two separate bags, so no bag build there.

Oh, and I built 7938 the other day - and discovered that opportunities arise everywhere :)

bagbuild11.jpg

bagbuild12.jpg

Nice set of bag builds, L@go.

The train platform and signal is cool.

I like the pickup from the new forest police set too.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I keep reading this thread and have been determined to try it at some point so when my wife got me a 'stocking' stocking filler I thought I'd give it a go

This is the set

IMGP0640.jpg

RESULT!!

IMGP0641.jpg

It was a bit fiddly getting the inner bag open but not actually as difficult as I thought it would be.

D

Came across this recently and wanted to give it a try :tongue:

6597679911_aea7ebea81_z.jpg

Both trees from 7188 King's Carriage Ambush and the cab from 4643 Power Boat Transporter.

I couldn't finish the two tree leaf parts extending outwards on the bigger tree because there just isn't enough space in the bag.

I love this! The absolute best way to keep a set dust free. :tongue: I can't wait to get the Mini Modulars and build them in the bag.

Great job to all who've been bag building. :thumbup:

hahaha I was also waiting for someone to do it.

Much appreciated it - now *I* don't have to do it. :laugh:

I was a bit surprised, when I first heard of the bagbuilding. It never crossed my mind to think about it or even try it. But then I tried it with two city impulse sets and I found it to be interesting enough to try with a slightly bigger set. The only problem is I hardly ever get a set with just 1 bag per 1 model. So I tried the new 4431 Ambulance. First bag went ok, while the second one broke half way through the building process and that's where I stopped with bagbuilding and finished off the model. The second bag was also trickier as it was supposed to be based on the contents of the first bag, and since it was not, it was hard to keep the bricks together in the first building steps.

bagbuilding_03.jpg

I think I just beat LEGO.

I have no intention of building the other four like this. My brain hurts.

wow that is good, is that an orange brick separator in there?

Do most impulse sets have all the pieces in one bag? I want to try bag building something, but I don't want to go to the store and buy a set to find out half is in one bag and half is in another, or there is a loose plate.

Since Tesco has recently updated their Lego stock I thought I'd try it out with a couple of the Creator Pods.

It was relatively simple, build time around 15 minutes each. The hardest part was making sure all of the cheese blocks in 6910 were facing the right direction since they're very hard to hold onto through the bag.

DSC_0120.JPG