Hi folks.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to fly pretty much anywhere in the world for a relatively cheap price (compensation for being seriously delayed on my most recent international flight). I am planning to travel to North America this summer for one of the large conventions that they do so well. I'm particularly keen to take part in a large GBC, having just coordinated one here in Australia.

My question is, which convention has the biggest/best GBC setup? I've been told that Brickworld in Chicago is the one to beat - would that be a fair assessment? Is there anything else I should be considering when deciding which one to go to?

To the mods: I wasn't sure whether this should go in the Events forum, or even the generic GBC discussion topic in this forum. Please move/merge as appropriate.

Thanks.

Owen.

Edited by Captainowie

Check out Brickfair Virginia, there is always an impressive GBC there (first week of August) im not sure if its the biggest but its at one of the biggest shows of the year.

I think Chicago always has a record number of attendees/participants. The main reason for this is that Chicago is 'centrally' located, and within relatively easy reach from all corners of the US/Canada. Also, there are 4 Lego Stores in the Chicago area (downtown, NorthBrook, Schaumburg, Orland Park). I've been to the last 3-4 BrickWorld events and was quite pleased. Now, besides Chicago (fairly large city, a lot to see), there is not much else around.

PS. I might be a bit biased as I do live in Chicago.

Edited by DrJB

Brickfair in DC usually has a pretty large GBC setup. IIRC, they were shooting for a record at the last event. I was at Brickworld in 2012, and I don't really recall how large their GBC was, or even if they had one. BrickCon in Seattle (one of my favorite events) usually has a GBC as well, though not as large as the one at Brickfair.

I think Chicago always has a record number of attendees/participants. The main reason for this is that Chicago is 'centrally' located, and within relatively easy reach from all corners of the US/Canada. Also, there are 4 Lego Stores in the Chicago area (downtown, NorthBrook, Schaumburg, Orland Park). I've been to the last 3-4 BrickWorld events and was quite pleased. Now, besides Chicago (fairly large city, a lot to see), there is not much else around.

PS. I might be a bit biased as I do live in Chicago.

Agree with Chicago. Last year the GBC was massive

I think Chicago is the one to go to. Will you be bringing your GBC modules with you? I believe Tom Atkinson coordinates the GBC display.

Thanks folks, it seems like Chicago it is.

I intend to bring _some_ modules with me. I find I can pack half a dozen or so into my suitcase. How do I get in touch with this Tom Atkinson chap - is he a member here?

Tom is not a member here on Eurobricks. I do have his contact info, but honestly I don't feel comfortable sharing it here. If you want to send a message to me at john<dot>brost<at>gmail<dot>com, I'll be happy to pass his e-mail to you. I know he'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. I know he's trying to do something special for the 2015 GBC at Brickworld since it is the 10th anniversary of the GBC.

In addition, I encourage you to take a look at the Brickworld sub-forum under Events here on Eurobricks. There is usually some good information there. Also be sure to go ahead and register on the Brickworld website (www.brickworld.us) for the convention. Doing so before March allows you some cool benefits. Brickworld doesn't allow registration on-site, so be sure to pre-register.

I look forward to meeting you at Brickworld!

John

Edited by JBrost

Tom is not a member here on Eurobricks. I do have his contact info, but honestly I don't feel comfortable sharing it here. If you want to send a message to me at john<dot>brost<at>gmail<dot>com, I'll be happy to pass his e-mail to you. I know he'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. I know he's trying to do something special for the 2015 GBC at Brickworld since it is the 10th anniversary of the GBC.

In addition, I encourage you to take a look at the Brickworld sub-forum under Events here on Eurobricks. There is usually some good information there. Also be sure to go ahead and register on the Brickworld website (www.brickworld.us) for the convention. Doing so before March allows you some cool benefits. Brickworld doesn't allow registration on-site, so be sure to pre-register.

I look forward to meeting you at Brickworld!

John

do u have any GBC instructions or cad files?

Hello,

For the past 6 years I have attended and displayed GBC at BrickFair Virginia (outside of Washington DC), and can say it's a nice event. Last year we had over 10,000 public visitors. This years event is from July 29 - August 2, 2015 (Public show Aug 1-2). One of the GBC coordinators is Tom Atkinson, I have his contact information if you need it. He does several GBC events each year to include Brickworld Chicago last year. We'd enjoy you joining us at BrickFair too.

Ciao,

Scott

Edited by Technic Fan

Very smooth, specially like the complete redesign of the Philo loader! And I love the "regulator" mechanism at the end. Can I copy that?

Very smooth, specially like the complete redesign of the Philo loader! And I love the "regulator" mechanism at the end. Can I copy that?

Thanks! That red one was the first module I ever built, about 3 years ago now. I think it needs a bit of a redesign - I feel it can be made to fit entirely on one baseplate with a better geometry.

Copy away. It might be easier once you've seen it 'in the flesh' - there are a couple of critical half-stud offsets that aren't obvious from the video.

Owen.

I took the kids to Brickfair in Virginia a few years ago and hey had a very large GBC on display.