Sign in to follow this  
KMOI

Brickshelf NOT dead

[snip]

its kinda like paris hilton, enough is enough...

[snip]

Ahhh, the perfect analogy.

Thanks BM for putting into words exactly what I'm feeling...with your whole post not just the Paris Hilton comment. Well, let's just hope it's finally over. I'm just glad we weren't any of those jackasses going around calling people vultures, huh?

:-P

Thank you Lord Baby Jesus.

For a while I was scared I was going to have no inspiration! (except for the fine folks at Eurobricks).

Now I have no fear.

I don't have a problem with BS news, I wanna see where it goes.

IMHO all the ruckus the last week created was good cos it showed the community what it actually has in BS. It sure did that for me. It even made me post here although I have other things on my mind. But since LEGO is my biggest hobby it affected me.

I won't judge the fee before I see what the "premium features" will be. Fortunately $60 (about EUR 47) a year is something I can afford easily. I know for some people it's more than it is to me but we don't know yet what those 60 bucks will offer. If it's not worth it I won't pay it, either. I can afford it, but I don't want to throw it out the window.

What I'd like to see, though, is a pic size restriction (dimensions and file size) for non-paying users. That should keep away those blurry 3000x2000 Bionuckle pics. I could live with that, too, if I decided not to pay for premium features.

We'll see...

Paris is a very nice city. I didn't stay at the Hilton, though, so I can't say anything about it...

That should keep away those blurry 3000x2000 Bionuckle pics. ...

Amen, brother!

And don't worry about the Paris Hilton, you didn't miss much. You don't want to sleep there, anyway. God only knows what you might catch. That hotel is no big deal, but for some reason every time it sneezes the American Paparazzi are all over it! :-/

This is fantastic news, even if i have spent the last 2 evenings going through my BS stuff and uploading it to MAJ :-D .

What I'd like to see, though, is a pic size restriction (dimensions and file size) for non-paying users. That should keep away those blurry 3000x2000 Bionuckle pics. I could live with that, too, if I decided not to pay for premium features.

I have always been a contributing member to BS so paying for the sevice sounds fine to me! A picture size limit sounds like the perfect idea to me too! Again this is such good news for the lego community :-P .

Paris is a very nice city. I didn't stay at the Hilton, though, so I can't say anything about it...
nice... that's exactly what im talking about....

or is it not talking about ;-)

- BM

That isn't what bothers me. I am more annoyed when I see an intesting thumbnail, click on it, find that it is 3000x2000, wait patiently, and then find that the photo is too blurry to pick any details anyway. Grrr. >:-(

I do agree though that they should ban BMPs and images over 1024x768 for non-paying users. This would substatially reduce costs... and frustration!

this whole ordeal was really unnecessary, wasn't it... honestly, im tired of reading about BS news... everywhere on the board it's BS this, BS that :-|

im ready to say "the hell with it" and not use BS because of it... now, im not complaining to, or about, the operators of BS. and i also stress that i haven't done any complaining throughout this whole mess. so it's nothing against them or the site, and never has been for me.

however, all that said, there comes a time, when enough is enough.

i guess what im trying to put into words is that im emotionally exhausted over all this... and it's not over yet... it seems everyday there is another twist and turn :-| there have been quite a few heated discussions internally and externally (from EB.) there have been imposter after imposter (some im guilty of falling for and seem to be reoccuring even in this thread.) then there is all the discussion of which new site to migrate too.

and to think, sean kenney and many others stepped up, and tried to overcome this just like everyone else... they spent a lot of time trying to solve this puzzle too, lets not forget. i feel bad for all these people who bought domain names, and started investing in alternatives to BS... im wiling to give them a shot. basically because im emotionally exhausted from anything that includes with the word "BrickShelf."

again, nothing against the BS operators, this feeling is just an unexpected by-product of the hoopla.

its kinda like paris hilton, enough is enough... while i have nothing against her as a person, im just tired of hearing about her... lets move on to something else in both cases.

- BM

I agree, I haven't contributed anything to the Lego world all week... this has just made me feel like waiting it out in my purpose built bunker... X-D

God Bless,

Nathan

Kev's message is very revealing. It also suggests that if many BS users were simply to migrate to Maj, that site too would have been in jeoprady! I'm still a bit concerned about the price. At $60, I'm not sure that Kev is going to find alot of support from users. I mean, from his message it doesn't sound like that $60 is buying very much.

Edited by blueandwhite

So we are going to try something new and see if it works.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't quite work for me. Sounds like, "send me some cash and we'll see what happens down the road." Well, in the real world, the one where you charge for a service, you provide it or you face the consequences. It's all well and good to offer something for free and then shut it down. No one paid, no one loses. But when you cross the line into taking payment for this service, you just entered a whole new world, one where "see if it works" doesn't work at all.

Basically, for those of you who decide to pay, make sure you get a proper agreement in return. This isn't donation territory anymore, this just turned into a full fledged business. Without knowing how payments will be accepted (a payment made every month, yearly in advance, etc) it's hard to say exactly how it should go, but be sure you get the exact amount of service time you pay for. I've seen sites pull things that were remarkably similar to this in the past, and they rarely turn out well.

I'm not saying whether this is something being pulled of simply a problem that got out of handm but a lot of people start things for free on the net with the idea that they'll either pay for themselves with ad banners and subscriptions, or become very profitable later when a company wants to buy them. See the news for stories of massive successes at this. What they don't mention are the failures and the sites that take in money only to disappear.

I'm not at all convinced this is well thought out. Based on the track record of the past few days, it doesn't seem to be at all. This problem didn't suddenly start, shutting down to "send the message" smacks of a stunt to convince people that they'd do just about anything to get it back (like pay $60 a year) and the lack of communication is simply unprofessional. Based on the clear lack of planning involved in the process so far, don't be surprised if the complications outweigh the profit quickly and it dries up again.

Bottom line, back up your stuff, grab the things that inspire you, hope for the best, and have an alternate plan ... just in case.

That said, I appreciate the site and the effort that has been put into it through the years. Most of all, I appreciate the work of the LEGO community that it has showcased, and wherever we all end up in the future, let's just make sure we end up there together. That's the really important message in all of this. Seeing how the various forums have come together to attempt to backup the many years of work was an inspiration (and should have been predicted by Kevin, another problem he didn't seem to foresee and another reason I have doubts about anything in the future).

Meh, no point getting too stressed about the notion that we will have to pay $60 annually. Just pay a few months and think of it as a "donation". If he asked for 20$ I would pay without hesitation.So, I'll pay 4 months. I doubt I want or need the special services anyway.

In effect he is letting us choose how much we pay, since he is not saying he will cut us off if we don't pay. So, you can make a donation of any amount you like from 5$ to 60$.

See how it goes from there.

MOCpages and flickr are not a substitute for BS. I looked at them in the last few days as all this unfolded, and was totally unimpressed. BS is a very efficient interface, and with very minor upgrades would be excellent. Who needs all the commenting, slideshows, etc etc. They are just a waste of bandwidth and loading time.

The only thing I resent is the poor communication and uncertainty. All of this brouhaha could, should, have been avoided.

It also suggests that if many BS users were simply to migrate to Maj, that site too would have been in jeoprady!

Perhaps, but perhaps not. It is possible that he can get better Adsense money due to the larger target audience.

All of this brouhaha could, should, have been avoided.

I *wub* that word and now I wish I'd used it.

Instead, I'll just say that this has certainly created a ruckus! I didn't really need to say that, but I like that word too, though not as much as brouhaha. Haha, ha, haha. I think I should go to bed now, it's been a weird week.

;-)

For quite a bit less than $60/year, you can register your own domain and post as many pictures as you want. My domain hosting service gives me 100 gigs of space for about $30 / year. AND, I don't have to go through any kind of "moderation" process to post my stuff.

Nothing against Brickshelf or Kevin ... but why would you pay that much money just to put pictures online? I dunno. I've never used Brickshelf, so maybe there's something here that I'm missing.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. It is possible that he can get better Adsense money due to the larger target audience.

Actually, according to Kevin, Maj only receives about 10% of the traffic that Brickshelf does. If we BSers were to migrate over there, we would account for the majority of that traffic, essentially turning into another Brickshelf (with a few random images interdespersed).

And the very first post I see is

Thanks for posting and your concern! God Bless, Nathan

I wonder who that is X-D

As for Kevin's statement, his comments on it being a stunt, and commentary on impersonation has me wondering if he's been browsing this forum (or was directed to it), or if this means that same "Kevin" has been posting on many other forums...though I've yet to see it.

In either case, I have great respect for how he handled it. He admitted that he should have gone about it differently, and talked about how he wouldn't be able to sleep at night with all the lost content and whatnot. Much more respect there.

Edited by Starwars4J

Nothing against Brickshelf or Kevin ... but why would you pay that much money just to put pictures online? I dunno. I've never used Brickshelf, so maybe there's something here that I'm missing.

It's not only about what I can get for the money.

I'd pay some money to keep BS intact as a place where the community has a central repository that has most or all of their work so that we can search it, and view it easily without having to look at 4 different places, any one of which may change at any time.

Not 60$ annually.

Brickshelf shpuld be the way it always was.

At Kevin's expense :-P .

Seriously, I can understand his desire to generate some revenue. Honestly, why should he foot the bill?