Sign in to follow this  
KMOI

Brickshelf NOT dead

I didn't see this posted earlier and I sincerely hope this hasn't been posted, but I was checking out Brickshelf a few minutes ago and I saw some relieving news. Ladies and gentlemen, Brickshelf is here to stay! But with some changes.

Notice: Brickshelf will not be shutting down!

We will be offering "featured" accounts for $5/month shortly.

We have received hundreds of supportive emails in the past few days including many who said they would like to contribute financially but did not know how. This has had us rethink the practicality of charging for enhanced features.We plan to do this without reducing current functionality for free users. Thank you for your enormous show of support. IMPORTANT: do NOT try to download the entire site, it causes major problems, slows things down for normal users and you will be permanently blocked. We will make older folders public again after we see the crawlers go away.

I'm crying manly tears of joy. :'-)

Brilliant!

Now I just have to wonder what these new features are...ability to move folders? Featured folders? I wonder if this whole thing was just a giant publicity stunt...meh

Edited by Starwars4J

I was just about to post this. Glad I checked that if someone else beat me to it. Seems my hesitation to post was my downfall. X-D

What does this mean? Is brickshelf open only to people who pay the $5 fee? Or are these simply special folders? Anyway, glad to see it won't be gone.

My bad! :-$

Anyhoo, I think "Featured" accounts means your creations get shown on the front page or where the current "Recent Folders" page is. It's going to take some getting used to, but I think I'll eventually get used to it. :-D

Will there be free accounts too? i wouldn't like to pay with what i DONT have...
We plan to do this without reducing current functionality for free users.

In other words, yes :-P

Hurray! Thank you, Kevin, thank you, and bless you for finally communicating with the public LEGO community. ;-) It would also appear that the "rumor" posted on bricklink.com was in fact true. Like the person said, it was practically from the horse's mouth. As for the rate of $5 per month, I suppose it's not too unreasonable. To save money, you could always build up your MOC photos till the right month comes along. Overall I am very pleased with this news.

Once again, thank you, Kevin!

It's a freakin' soap opera!

Was it really necessary to go through all this?

All the wasted time, effort, angst?

5$ a month = 60$ a year.

I am not sure how many takers there will be at that cost....

The current brickshelf is not here to stay, in a quote directly from kevin...

Kevin, the owner of brickshelf just made the following announcement:

Hi everyone! I joined here to try to be in touch with the community throughout this process. What I'm doing is moving all of the photos to a new and improved site that I've been working on for a while. I'll try to let you guys know whenever I have more information. Sorry there was not more notice. I was hoping to have this up and running by the end of BrickShelf but I've encountered a few snags. ~ Kevin

This was posted the 18th from Kevin to Peeron.com admins and placed on another site. So the current brickshelf will be closing down...but everyone's files will be placed into a new...and improved brickshelf for all our use *sweet*

The current brickshelf is not here to stay, in a quote directly from kevin...

This was posted the 18th from Kevin to Peeron.com admins and placed on another site. So the current brickshelf will be closing down...but everyone's files will be placed into a new...and improved brickshelf for all our use *sweet*

What site? That sounds suspiciously like the fake Kevin that posted here...

And if you check the front page of brickshelf, it mentions that he was planning on shutting it down, so that kinda contradicts...

...and to think I spent over almost 2 hours last night downloading, resizing, selecting and uploading images for the Ship index. Darn. I could have been building.

Even so, it is good news. Thanks Kevin. *wub* It looks like you do listen after all. :-D

And if you check the front page of brickshelf, it mentions that he was planning on shutting it down, so that kinda contradicts...

Well, fake Kevin or not, its nice to know that Brickshelf will still be up and running. Of course, for $5 per month, there had better be some pretty impressive features. This is actually quite expensive when compared to Flickr or many other host sites out there. While I'm glad that Brickshelf is going to live on, I'm not sure if I want to pay $60 per year for a few extra features when others are using it for free.

Honestly, the paying members better get FAR BETTER treatment if I'm to consider this option.

That's the exact quote the fake Kevin posted here...

...and to think I spent over almost 2 hours last night downloading, resizing, selecting and uploading images ...[snip]

...and crying

:-P

The website is at this technic moc site nicjasno.com

The owner here has been in contact with Peeron who had been consulting kevin on the issue of brickshelf's closure. I dont know if this quote I found is really true, but ill keep an eye out.

Edited by LordGalewind

I wonder if this whole thing was just a giant publicity stunt...meh, probably not.

More precisely a fundraising stunt. That's the impression I get anyway.

Anyway, for 5$ I'm sure I will be getting an account, but really this was not a classy episode in the AFOL world.

Exactly!

As much as I appreciate the FREE sevice they provide, I always backup my images and finds. The loss of convenience of a communal archive would be a shame, just don't be so dependent one hosting site or expect this sort of thing to happen when you sign up in the first place.

As for paying for such a service, you can count me out. Sorry, but I'm already paying an ISP and that's it for me. Plenty of free image hosting alternatives still exist.

This makes me weep tears of joy :'-) (yet again :-D )

Best news since the 2008 set list

Whoohoo!!!Brickshelf has returned

Now we don't need to find a new site to move to *sweet*

Brickshelf is the best and I hope it will remain the best

Piranha

I agree with Gylman, what a giant waste of time! Nothing like stirring up the community and putting them in a panic. I've spent the last few days downloading over 2 Gig worth of folders....

I've spent the last few days downloading over 2 Gig worth of folders....

Me too! My total when I stopped this morning was 2.27 GB.

I agree with Gylman, what a giant waste of time! Nothing like stirring up the community and putting them in a panic. I've spent the last few days downloading over 2 Gig worth of folders....

I hardly see this ordeal as a waste of time. It really goes to show you that we as fans shouldn't take things for granted. Particularly when they are free! Even now it amazes me how people feel that they've been done some injustice when Brickshelf was essentially a free dumping ground for fans everywhere. We didn't pay for it, and when it was threatened many of us were actually angry at Kevin for doing what he had every right to do. Now that we've got it back, people are still annoyed because they were inconvenienced. Honestly, if those folders were that important to you, you should have them backed up anyways.

In a way, I'd almost be happier if everybody was forced to pay a minimum user's fee. I don't like the idea of a minority of fans paying for the rest of us.

We didn't pay for it, and when it was threatened many of us were actually angry at Kevin for doing what he had every right to do. Now that we've got it back, people are still annoyed because they were inconvenienced. Honestly, if those folders were that important to you, you should have them backed up anyways.

Sure, he had every right to do what he did, but how inconvenient would have been to communicate with the community in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of people (myself included) were miffed about more than anything else (unless they hadn't backed up their stuff :-P). All of this support just goes to show that if Kevin had had a good "talk" with the LEGO community he would've still received a whole lot o' support.

In a way, I'd almost be happier if everybody was forced to pay a minimum user's fee. I don't like the idea of a minority of fans paying for the rest of us.

I like this. An easy start up fee of five bucks would probably generate a lot of funding during the conception of "brickshelf.com 2.0". I also agree with others that $5 per month is too much. Something like $20-30 a year would probably generate more revenue in the end as well as attract more users from switching to other sites like flickr if the special features are good enough.

this whole ordeal was really unnecessary, wasn't it... honestly, im tired of reading about BS news... everywhere on the board it's BS this, BS that :-|

im ready to say "the hell with it" and not use BS because of it... now, im not complaining to, or about, the operators of BS. and i also stress that i haven't done any complaining throughout this whole mess. so it's nothing against them or the site, and never has been for me.

however, all that said, there comes a time, when enough is enough.

i guess what im trying to put into words is that im emotionally exhausted over all this... and it's not over yet... it seems everyday there is another twist and turn :-| there have been quite a few heated discussions internally and externally (from EB.) there have been imposter after imposter (some im guilty of falling for and seem to be reoccuring even in this thread.) then there is all the discussion of which new site to migrate too.

and to think, sean kenney and many others stepped up, and tried to overcome this just like everyone else... they spent a lot of time trying to solve this puzzle too, lets not forget. i feel bad for all these people who bought domain names, and started investing in alternatives to BS... im wiling to give them a shot. basically because im emotionally exhausted from anything that includes with the word "BrickShelf."

again, nothing against the BS operators, this feeling is just an unexpected by-product of the hoopla.

its kinda like paris hilton, enough is enough... while i have nothing against her as a person, im just tired of hearing about her... lets move on to something else in both cases.

- BM

Sure, he had every right to do what he did, but how inconvenient would have been to communicate with the community in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of people (myself included) were miffed about more than anything else (unless they hadn't backed up their stuff :-P). All of this support just goes to show that if Kevin had had a good "talk" with the LEGO community he would've still received a whole lot o' support.

So true.

While at least this ordeal reminded everyone how important brickshelf is and that it shouldn't be taken for granted, it could have been handled 'way' better.

Regardless- Viva la brickshelf!!