pirates-indexed.gif 171A

16295552486_fb158255e5_z.jpg

16321206515_34e996599b_z.jpg

16295271926_b3bf6e837c_z.jpg

16135011349_61b3d55c1b_z.jpg

The Ammonite is a whaling ship (its home port being somewhere in 19th century New Bedford). Primarily used to hunt certain types of whales for their valuable oil, this ship's crew has mastered the art of whaling, and their ship is the pride and joy of its company's business.

Since I was fortunate enough to have a three day weekend, I decided to not let it go to waste and buckled down and built.

Also, this is my first MOC post here on Eurobricks, so I hope I posted this in the best theme place possible and did all the post guidelines right. Please let me know if I need to change anything.

More photos can be found on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.c.../127983423@N07/

Happy building and God bless! :-)

-BrickBuilder7622

Wow, very nice build :thumbup:

I was rather curious about that strange hull and no guns at all at the begining, but then read that it's a whailing ship pirate_laugh_new.gif

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

BTW, where the whale? pirate_wink.gif

Wow, very nice build :thumbup:

I was rather curious about that strange hull and no guns at all at the begining, but then read that it's a whailing ship pirate_laugh_new.gif

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

BTW, where the whale? pirate_wink.gif

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it! pirate_classic.gif Unfortunately, I didn't get around to building the whale itself. And, do you know if my formatting of this post is okay with the Eurobricks guidelines, such as posting it in the right place? Thanks again! Edited by BrickBuilder7622

One can never be sure about that pirate_wink.gif Well i'm never sure about mine at least. But to be honest, yeah, i guess it's ok since Your pictures are smaller than a lot of those posted, and so pirate_blush.gif

Excellent ship! I really like the way you made the lanterns on the back, nice use of hats!

Welcome the forums! This actually belongs in the MOC forum, no worries though, I'll move it there.

:jollyroger:

BB7622, I believe that your post format is perfectly fine. I've always wanted to build a whaler. It's nice to see great representation of a nonmilitary vessel. Nice work! All that's missing is the boiler stove.

Welcome! What an interesting note to introduce yourself on. Though this be the "pirates" forum, we appreciate all manner of period sailing ships. After all, if every one were pirates there'd be no booty. I personally like to see some non-men-of-war from time to time. You've got some intriguing elements and parts usage in there. The doors used for the head is an interesting detail and looks very whaler like. In fact her lines are all very whaler like. 

If I may make a suggestion; though the ginger-bread-work on her transom is particularly nice, I'd knock the stern cabin off entirely. It's a bit much for a 19th century vessel.  I'm thinking of something more like Charles W. Morgan my self.

There it is, do with it as you will, she a nice MOC either way.

Thanks for sharing! 

Excellent ship! I really like the way you made the lanterns on the back, nice use of hats!

Welcome the forums! This actually belongs in the MOC forum, no worries though, I'll move it there.

:jollyroger:

Thank you so much! Would you mind sending me a link to the MOC forum? Thanks again!

BB7622, I believe that your post format is perfectly fine. I've always wanted to build a whaler. It's nice to see great representation of a nonmilitary vessel. Nice work! All that's missing is the boiler stove.

Thanks Phred! Yes, I was also going to build a boiler stove, but I found that placing one on the deck of the ship would make it look awkward, so I decided against it. Thanks again!

Welcome! What an interesting note to introduce yourself on. Though this be the "pirates" forum, we appreciate all manner of period sailing ships. After all, if every one were pirates there'd be no booty. I personally like to see some non-men-of-war from time to time. You've got some intriguing elements and parts usage in there. The doors used for the head is an interesting detail and looks very whaler like. In fact her lines are all very whaler like.

If I may make a suggestion; though the ginger-bread-work on her transom is particularly nice, I'd knock the stern cabin off entirely. It's a bit much for a 19th century vessel. I'm thinking of something more like Charles W. Morgan my self.

There it is, do with it as you will, she a nice MOC either way.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! The doors were a on the spot addition; I just thought they'd look nice there. Before I got into building LEGO, I used to build plastic model ships (and planes), the Charles W. Morgan being one of them; that's partially what inspired me. I do agree, realistically speaking there should be hardly any cabin at all, but I sort of used this ship as an experimental build to test some techniques I had been just itching to try out. Thanks for the comment and input!

Nice model - we haven't seen a new ship in a while (so I feel).

And postingwise you're fine. Ships without cannons are perfectly acceptable!

Thanks so much! I don't have too many cannons (only about 8 or 9) so, I suppose maybe another "cannonless" ship will be built, sooner or later. Thanks again! Edited by BrickBuilder7622

I don't have too many cannons (only about 8 or 9) so, I suppose maybe another "cannonless" ship will be built, sooner or later. Thanks again!

You can always build your guns out of bricks.

Thanks so much! I don't have too many cannons (only about 8 or 9) so, I suppose maybe another "cannonless" ship will be built, sooner or later. Thanks again!

You know actual ships the size of your whaler had only four or so cannon that are smaller than the official Lego ones. I've a ship in the works that size that's going to have 2 6-pounders and a 9-pounder on a swivel. I like to think of the official cannons as 18-24 pounders

Oh this is a fun conversation... *evil grin*

Though the external appearance of the pre-fab Lego guns (on land they are cannons but once afloat they are guns) is convincingly detailed and easily satisfying their bore size is quite a bit over sized for historical use. Since we've already set the vessel in question in the 19th century and since there is so much data on that time frame lets run with that assumption for this argument as well. 

At that time the largest guns afloat were only found on the lower decks of the largest ships of the line. Some fired as big as a 42lb round shot (cannon ball) but most were no larger than 36s. A 42lb iron shot measures just shy of 7" in diameter (6.68). Hold a ruler up to your chest and measure 7". Then hold a 3062b up to a mini-fig's chest and note the difference. It's a little bit bigger to the figure no doubt, but considering the strange proportions of mini-figs its a reasonable comparison. By bore size, Lego guns can't be less than the largest guns of the day, 42lb-ers.

QED, unless your building a ship of the line, you really don't need pre-fab Lego guns. Arn't i just an annoying little know-it-all?

There are myriad designs out there for brick built guns which are often a lot more scale appropriate, even if less visually impacting. I've assembled several batteries of varying sizes using different, common, bricks. The most useful, has to be the a fore mentioned 3062b since they can be two different sizes by turning them one way or the other.

An interesting bit of data/reference

http://www.arc.id.au/Cannonballs.html

I believe that at one point an attempt at a brick-built gun index was started but there were so many different designs it became pointless and confusing.

Lego guns (on land they are cannons but once afloat they are guns)

That is interesting. In German it is the same term (kanone) be it land- or ship-based.

I would have never assumed that the English language would choose a more complex approach pirate_laugh2.gif

I would love to continue this conversation, but I don't want to take the conversation in this topic away from BB7622's MOC.

Kurigan, you could open up another topic about gun sizes or resurrect and old one. This topic has been discussed before:

Admiral Bejaune had topic back in 2008.

Or you could drop a response in the Index of Cannons Discussion.

Some nut eons ago also wanted to talk about this too.

Very nice boat... I mean ship ;)

Thanks! pirate_laugh_new.gif

I like your model, although I usually prefer ships with cannons pirate_laugh2.gif

Thanks; I usually prefer ones with cannons as well, but I do like to switch things up; makes it interesting! Thanks so much! pirate_satisfied.gif

Nice work overall. I find this scheme to be quite pleasing.

Why, thank you! pir_laugh2.gif

Though the external appearance of the pre-fab Lego guns (on land they are cannons but once afloat they are guns) is convincingly detailed and easily satisfying their bore size is quite a bit over sized for historical use. Since we've already set the vessel in question in the 19th century and since there is so much data on that time frame lets run with that assumption for this argument as well.

At that time the largest guns afloat were only found on the lower decks of the largest ships of the line. Some fired as big as a 42lb round shot (cannon ball) but most were no larger than 36s. A 42lb iron shot measures just shy of 7" in diameter (6.68). Hold a ruler up to your chest and measure 7". Then hold a 3062b up to a mini-fig's chest and note the difference. It's a little bit bigger to the figure no doubt, but considering the strange proportions of mini-figs its a reasonable comparison. By bore size, Lego guns can't be less than the largest guns of the day, 42lb-ers.

QED, unless your building a ship of the line, you really don't need pre-fab Lego guns. Arn't i just an annoying little know-it-all?

There are myriad designs out there for brick built guns which are often a lot more scale appropriate, even if less visually impacting. I've assembled several batteries of varying sizes using different, common, bricks. The most useful, has to be the a fore mentioned 3062b since they can be two different sizes by turning them one way or the other.

An interesting bit of data/reference

http://www.arc.id.au/Cannonballs.html

I believe that at one point an attempt at a brick-built gun index was started but there were so many different designs it became pointless and confusing.

Whoa, you certainly do seem to be quite the expert on guns and cannons. Very nicely presented; and quite the interesting lesson, I wasn't bored at all. Thanks! pirate_classic.gif

You can always build your guns out of bricks.

True. I actually did do that with this MOC (see link below) that I built in April 2014. pirate_classic.gif

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/386842

Edited by BrickBuilder7622

I would love to continue this conversation, but I don't want to take the conversation in this topic away from BB7622's MOC.

Kurigan, you could open up another topic about gun sizes or resurrect and old one. This topic has been discussed before:

Admiral Bejaune had topic back in 2008.

Or you could drop a response in the Index of Cannons Discussion.

Some nut eons ago also wanted to talk about this too.

Oh that's okay; feel free to discuss cannons here if you would like to. I am very interested in hearing more tips you guys had for me and I appreciate them greatly. pirate_classic.gifpir_laugh2.gif Edited by BrickBuilder7622