Bricksan

[MOC] WW2 Naval HQ Modular Building

It's been a year in the making. I decided I wasn't happy with my old orange/blue Coast Guard building (See here)and decided to build a new building with a Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) here in the UK. So I picked a dark blue colour scheme. The first two floors was based on the building being an RNLI building but when I came back to it the idea then evolved to become a World War 2 themed Naval HQ.scheme.

This is themed of the fire station modular.

16131354618_b1fb9cdb40.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16132712709_5b4299a12d.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318902555_e553a08ed1.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318900725_2ed7e308b1.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318896495_e13f53c4e7.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318894405_0cfc2f579d.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

The ground floor was not altered but the interior of the 1st floor was removed and was replaced with the desks with phones for taking calls from spies and from allied information and then I also added two large free standing recording units for sending messages etc. In the middle of the room was a large map with 1x1 cheese slopes representing different units both in the sea and on land.

I then added a 3rd floor which was the recreation room, complete with kitchen, seating area and bunk beds for sleeping. I even added a gramophone/record player as well. Plus the ladder leads up to the light house. The outside of this floor was different so it was a complete repeat of the floor below.

16318022822_7aae9bec9d.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

The roof was a big job because I decided to add a power function light house to the top, this meant finding space for the battery box and other elements. This was a case of trial and error but finally got a configuration I was happy with and also allowed me access to switch the light brick on and off. The power box sits under the roof and the rest of the PF are housed in the actual light house.

16318865215_13de81693a.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318011512_de45da35ed.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

15699005653_a2cb4ff453.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318885595_8f95444046.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

With the vehicles I based both of them on the ones from the Indiana Jones theme, just changing certain parts and the colours to look like full blown military vehicles. Also the minifigures all have the classic face like official sets. I am really pleased with how this came out and it now has a place in my modular city.

15698969733_92da045b70.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

16318862665_60aba99a39.jpgWW2 Naval HQ Modular Building by Mohican Runner, on Flickr

Full article: http://brickfanatics...ular-project-4/

More photos: https://www.flickr.c...57648051661023/

Interesting modular.......the vehicle are really COOL, but computers that size were around for say 1960's......perhaps they were visited by Doctor Who ? :laugh:

Brick On 'Bricksan' ! :grin:

Yes they were --> http://en.wikipedia....lossus_computer is just one example :-) The ones I used are just the same concept

Yes, the British and Americans did have monster computers that took entire rooms.......not two 60's style units.......where are the valves by the thousands ?

Sorry I'm picky when it comes to the history of electronics.

Although a lot of credits go to the designer of the 10197 Fire Brigade modular set, this is a really fine modular! The colors look great and match very well! I like the lighthouse-idea and i think you did a good job on that! I would definitely allow this building to have a place next to my own modulars!!

Great color scheme and like your attention to the detail esp. in the map/communication room. I think you need a seagull someplace on the build.

This is quite good Richard, well done. I really liked your war map idea and the record player. Cool use of the anchor too on the roof top.

Really nice build that fits in great with the official Lego modulars. Also, so many modular MOCs suffer from what I call 'flat face'. Your has detail and texture that make it interesting.

Interesting idea. I was wondering what a dark blue Modular may look like.

the design of the building is interesting. Obviously, it is Fire Brigade through and through, but it is an interesting concept.

I really like the interior. I don't know too much about life back when this would have been built, but this seems really neat.

I'm not in love with some of the exterior features, but it definitely sets it apart from other MOD/MOCs.

I love the little record player, I may have to use that.

From the Haunted House set, I believe.

I did my Green Grocer in Dark Blue, and it came out great. This may be the only other building I've run across in Dark Blue, and it really works here also. Great build.

The only problem I have is the Blue bay doors in contrast with the Dark Blue. The Dark Blue is a powerful, royal, regal kind of color which usually is complimented by other shades of blue, but because this other shade, here, is separate from it, it seems to clash. My own opinion; I think the doors, and thus the building, would look much better with gray or silver doors perhaps, or a white ones if not. But I'm not savvy on these kinds of doors so I'm unaware as to what's available - which of course, may be why you chose these. Because of availability.

Still, very nice.

It's a nice building though I agree with the others that it's quite close to FB. Anyhow what interests me most is the working lighthouse which is really amazing. Could you please tell something about that?

Wow! What an upgrade! I like the old one a lot due to its modern look and its depth, but this one is just as beautiful, and makes up for the depth with its height!

Is that a custom sticker for the computer/recording units? If it's from a set, which one? I'd love to pick up a few of those on bricklink

From the Haunted House set, I believe.

I did my Green Grocer in Dark Blue, and it came out great. This may be the only other building I've run across in Dark Blue, and it really works here also. Great build.

The only problem I have is the Blue bay doors in contrast with the Dark Blue. The Dark Blue is a powerful, royal, regal kind of color which usually is complimented by other shades of blue, but because this other shade, here, is separate from it, it seems to clash. My own opinion; I think the doors, and thus the building, would look much better with gray or silver doors perhaps, or a white ones if not. But I'm not savvy on these kinds of doors so I'm unaware as to what's available - which of course, may be why you chose these. Because of availability.

Still, very nice.

You are limited to blue, white, red, black and trans colours. Hence the blue being best option IMO

It's a nice building though I agree with the others that it's quite close to FB. Anyhow what interests me most is the working lighthouse which is really amazing. Could you please tell something about that?

What would you like to know about it and will tell you?

Wow! What an upgrade! I like the old one a lot due to its modern look and its depth, but this one is just as beautiful, and makes up for the depth with its height!

Is that a custom sticker for the computer/recording units? If it's from a set, which one? I'd love to pick up a few of those on bricklink

Nope its a printed piece from Citizen Bricks, while maybe not 19040's I still felt the fitted with the general feel of the building.

What would you like to know about it and will tell you?

Thanks, I'm mostly interested in the way you switch the light on and off.