usfighting

[MOC] UCS X-Wing Red 5

This is my Ultimate Collectors Series X-Wing Starfighter Red 5. It is 78cm x 54cm (or 99 studs x 68 studs) making it about 1/16 scale. It has functioning wings and an opening cockpit. All dimensions are based on the Fine Molds plans which seem to be accepted as accurate to the original movie props.

I have had this on the go for over 2 years but finally completed it recently, each component has been through many iterations and refinements and I think I could have gone on forever but I decided to call time on it.

I first built the model with standard lego parts for both wings and lasers and they held up fine but I think that they will bend/droop a little over time. As I wanted the model on permanent display I elected to rebuild incorporating some aluminium elements which I recently found on Bricklink.

It uses 4 x 31 hole aluminium lift arms, 1 in each wing, plus 4 x 19 stud long aluminium axles in the lasers. This will esnsure it always stays looking nice and straight which to me was more important than purity for the finished model (and the components are identical to lego pieces, just aluminium which I feel is just about acceptable!). I painted the grey wheels on the lasers as there are no white ones available.

There are plenty of custom made stickers including many in an attempt to make it look damaged and worn. The markings were based on the amazing eFX Inc. static model from a few years back.

I hope you like it, all comments are very welcome. More images on my Flickr;

https://www.flickr.c.../129756902@N08/

Thanks

16309041845_8477f9ef4e_c.jpg

AMAZING work!!!

Wow, your version from the UCS X-Wing is in all details absolut perfect.

Looks so authentic and better as the original Lego set.

Well done!

markus

Thanks for the comments!

Piece count is something like 3,500 I think, I don't pay much attention on pieces I am afraid. The stand is quite simple, a black sloped plinth which I kept as small as possible. The model was designed with attachment points that slot into the plinth, I will try and get a photo of it on the stand uploaded for you.

Instructions...Well I have never used any lego digital design tools so I wouldn't be able to do it that way. Perhaps I could do a component breakdown though, am more than happy to share the design if the interest is there. It is actually not all that complicated internally apart from perhaps the wing mechanism.

AMAZING! I especially love how you managed to accurately capture the nose and the angled front part. PLEASE do us a favour and create an instruction for this masterpiece!

I can only second what the others have said. This is without a doubt the best x-wing I have ever seen made from lego bricks. I honestly never thought it would be possible to get the dimensions that perfect but you succeeded where numerous others have not. Congratulations! :classic:

Did you color certain bricks or make custom stickers?

I want instructions for this beast so badly. It's perfect.

Thanks for the comments! Like I said above, I can't make instructions (and honestly not my thing to get into diigtal designing). I could try and do a detailed companent breakdown with photos to show how it is constructed, or perhaps work with someone to produce proper ones?

joebiwankenobi, it is completely littered in custom stickers, they took a lot of time but without them it would probably just look like a big white blob :classic:

The only painted elements were the wheels on the lasers that I painted white from grey.

cheers

Hi UsFighting,

Awesome moc looks better then the official usc model!

Do you have any pictures of the wing mechanism becuase i am currently building a t70 x wing and the mechanism i am using isnt strong enough thanks!

Hot damn! I would pay you $$$ for that X-Wing. It just looks that GOOD!

I also saw some pics of your Mustang plane. Doesn't even look like it's built from Lego anymore. Your skills are god-tier!

Jeezum crow! Where was I in January?? Thanks to Joe7218 for resurrecting this thread.

Hey there crash_cramer! Where do I begin? Well, your photostream contains three of the most astounding LEGO models I have ever seen. When I was a kid, I raced the Hot Shot and the Boomerang (1/10th scale Tamiya r/c electric for those not familiar). In fact, a couple years ago, I was struck with nostalgia and picked up both r/c cars brand new when they produced the re-issues. But to see an EXACT replica of the Hot Shot in LEGO is nothing short of astounding!! The block tires even fit on the LEGO rims - ha! Just amazing - speechless.

And to your X-wing. Like others have said, there are very few LEGO models that properly capture all the planes and angles of the X-wing fuselage, but your version excels at it. Now please pardon me while I navigate back to the photos and grow increasingly jealous. Incredible achievement!

I'm pretty sure that this is the X-Wing I saw at the Great Western Brick Show in Swindon. If so: it's even more impressive when it's sat right in front of you, folks! It's huge, the details on the droid strip are amazing, and the custom stickers really "sell" the model.

Just came across this amazing build, and decided to research these aluminum technic pieces. They could have so many uses in the large-scale builds I'm wanting to attempt.

So I came across this article. Essentially, this was a niche subset of parts that were manufactured privately by a BrickLink shop owner. So they are not officially licensed LEGO parts, if that matters.

Regardless, this is an amazing build, with remarkable attention to detail and geometry. Very well done!

Edited by phaelon