Tommy Styrvoky

[WIP] ISU-152 Self propelled gun with autoloader

Well this is the start of a conversion from my TC6 IS-2, to a Heavy self propelled gun that mounts a 152mm howitzer in a casemate on the hull of the vehicle. Its purpose was to obliterate concrete fortifications and other armored vehicles too...

ISU-152_in_technical_museum_in_Togliatti.JPG

A video of the firing mechanism of the autoloader in action.

16117716338_872548866a_c.jpgLego ISU-152 Autoloader by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16305255985_cdef2b2c2e_c.jpgLego ISU-152 Autoloader by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16304394012_6ce12604cb_c.jpgLego ISU-152 Autoloader by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

here the mechanism for the selector, it changes the rack and pinion from reloading to a neutral for firing.

16117709478_9e65566855_c.jpgLego ISU-152 Autoloader by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

16305248135_3a346efbc8_c.jpgLego ISU-152 Autoloader by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Hopefully I will be able to mount this on the hull of the IS-2 tomorrow, I have to remove all of the innards of it.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The clutch ring not slipping out under high torque (potential energy of rubber bands)? Seems unreal as it always slips out for me. Must be robust build in here that prevents this situation.

The clutch ring not slipping out under high torque (potential energy of rubber bands)? Seems unreal as it always slips out for me. Must be robust build in here that prevents this situation.

I'm not using a ridged technic connector for the technic driving ring, it is using a newer smooth variant. I Think the high torque is preventing it from loosing all of its purchase on the clutch gear. The ridged connector snaps the ring out of gear, when it begins to move under torque.

So the smooth variant may work better in high torque applications, though it has no rigid rings for the selector to snap into.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I tink that is difficult To have more than 0,5kg pulling torque and with this torque my tracked scorpion works well and the gears don't slip ;)

Some more progress, I have mounted the gun to the chassis and it has elevation/ depression, though I am unable to have side to side traverse, as the autoloader would hit the back wall. This isn't much of a problem, as the real vehicle didn't have much room to traverse the gun too.

16128269469_1221be98c0_c.jpgLego ISU-152 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I'm not using a ridged technic connector for the technic driving ring, it is using a newer smooth variant. I Think the high torque is preventing it from loosing all of its purchase on the clutch gear. The ridged connector snaps the ring out of gear, when it begins to move under torque.

So the smooth variant may work better in high torque applications, though it has no rigid rings for the selector to snap into.

So you are telling that the smooth connector 59443 (yellow) you use prevents the clutch ring from slipping out from the clutch gear under high torque? And the ribbed (flanged) connector 6538 (blue) slips out easily? That could be very useful.

nyMQ3vm.jpg

Edited by sonar

So you are telling that the smooth connector 59443 (yellow) you use prevents the clutch ring from slipping out from the clutch gear under high torque? And the ribbed (flanged) connector 6538 (blue) slips out easily? That could be very useful.

sure it happens, but obviously you need more torque to move it ;)

nyMQ3vm.jpg

I think so, but I found out that the addition of another rubber band causes it to disengage. I'm not 100% sure, but the smooth ring works better in this application, as there is little friction to change between firing and reloading.

16322769895_76b166b9d3_c.jpgLego ISU-152 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

More progress on the complex shape of the casemate, the rear sides of it aren't parallel, they have a small slope to them as they meet up with the engine deck.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky