Hey everyone.

Decided to start my first MOC. Can't learn to swim if you don't get into water :laugh: . Only I feel like I am jumping into a shark tank.

I always liked dually pickup trucks with crew cabs. Regular ones have two axles. Some people convert them into three axle 6x6 beasts. Why? Cuz Amurica!

For my build I decided to go with 43.2 wheels and 64.2 tires. Thanks to Sariel's extremely handy scale tool, I was able to use tires to create scaled measurements for the whole truck. I ended up with 64 studs bumper-to-bumper length and 25 stud width. I layed out dimensions on the table, and was amazed how hefty it looks *huh* .

Since I dont have XL motors, I wanted to use two L motors. After laying out the dimensions, I am thinking that two L motors won't be enough and I might need couple XLs.

As for PF features, apart from 6x6 drivetrain, I will only do headlights. I have been thinking about a winch and fifth wheel, but at this point not sure how I will incorportate them. Once I am building, I will definitely consider the options.

Looking forward to your feedback.

To avoid ownership confusions, I only post my own images. I posted two links in above post to give an idea of what I am shooting for.

Can't learn to swim if you don't get into water :laugh: . Only I feel like I am jumping into a shark tank.

??? That doesn't sound like much fun :cry_sad:    Build because you like it and have fun doing it. Not for recognition or accolades. The quality of a build is in the entertainment and enjoyment one receives during the build, not its popularity. Forums and social sites used to share MOCs are wonderful, but have a down-side if one builds solely for secondary gain (popularity, youtube hits, etc...).

The project does sound like a bunch of fun. Excited to hear updates.

I decided to start with rear drivetrain. Been thinking about ways of building it and came up with two methods.

First attempt came out too bulky. Its good for a semi truck, but I need something more compact for pickup. Due to offset location of diffs, wheels with shortest axles had weak mechanical connection to drive trivetrain.

For the second attempt I used offroad hubs to create less bulkier structure. I like it more because it's lighter, more compact, and wheels have strong connection.

Next step is to create a frame to support the drive train.

image3_zpse242e37a.jpg

image1_zps278c19e1.jpg

image4_zps160f28bd.jpg

image5_zpseb2089e8.jpg

image6_zps0c0cc4f4.jpg

The first z20 will slip, because the "frame" is holded by only 2 pins. The pins will go out and you'll have no drive.

After trying to mount drive train, I ran into several geometry issues and clearances between shocks and tie rods. Ended up rebuilding most of it.

Used perpendicular axle/pin pieces on the axles going to differenatials. That elimited some wobble and also provided support for axles that hold shocks.

Connected new drivetrain to a frame and tested geometry. Whole thing feels solid and robust.

The first z20 will slip, because the "frame" is holded by only 2 pins. The pins will go out and you'll have no drive.

Thanks for noticing that. While rebuilding, I strenthtened the locations of the gears to remove wobble and possible slippage.

I suggets you to use 5x7 frame to hold the differential... Also some gearing after differential may be good.

Was actually thinking about 5x7 frame. Unfortunately, that frame would eliminate spaces I needed to install shocks. I might rebuild using those frames if the rear is too unstable.

IMG_2361_zps8adc331e.jpg

IMG_2363_zps9f7b9359.jpg

IMG_2364_zps09fe718a.jpg

IMG_2365_zpsa03e12ff.jpg

IMG_2366_zpsc4c1492b.jpg

Well, he said that he did measurements and that with these wheels the truck should be 25 studs wide. If that is correct, his model is ok.

I believe it looks wider than the actual truck because of all the pieces between the wheels. Actual truck is roughly 2.4m wide. I calculated the scale of lego wheel compared to actual one, and got 1:12.5. Used the scale and width of actual truck in Sariel's converter and got width measurements of 24 studs and 19.2cm. I think once the whole thing is built, it will look fine.

I think it will turn out ok, I think there will be wheel wells on the outer wheels, so roughly the width of the front axle will be 17-19studs, if I am correct .

Looking good it does look a little wide but it still looks fine - depends how you can trick the viewer with cleverly placed bodywork after

perhaps invert the inner rear wheels so they go slightly over the hubs of the portal axles - that could get the wheels slightly closer together

if you're not gearing it down then I don't see why you're using them in the first place but it does look good and its very interesting to see it used that way even the panhard rod

Edited by Rockbrick

I think it will turn out ok, I think there will be wheel wells on the outer wheels, so roughly the width of the front axle will be 17-19studs, if I am correct .

Yup. Going to be 19 studs.

Looking good it does look a little wide but it still looks fine - depends how you can trick the viewer with cleverly placed bodywork after

perhaps invert the inner rear wheels so they go slightly over the hubs of the portal axles - that could get the wheels slightly closer together

if you're not gearing it down then I don't see why you're using them in the first place but it does look good and its very interesting to see it used that way even the panhard rod

Inverting the wheels will make rear narrower than needed. The reason I am using hubs is beacause of the width. This way I can have solid structure to start with, instead of using liftarms to build it. Plus, in the long run if I ever want to convert it to offroader, I can always change out gears as necessary.

Did this MOC can abandonded? :cry_sad: As it looks/looked like something pretty cool.

The owner hasn't been active since January 2015, so....yeah, I guess so.

This is an excellent start and the second setup is so much better then the first one! :thumbup: :thumbup: :classic::wub: You improve rapidly...cool... :laugh:

Like Zblj suggested maybe having some gear reductions after the difs might be smart! Just replace those double 16T gears by 12 and 20...

That's too bad. This MOC looked like it would turn out cool.

I know, I really wanted to see this one.