davidmull

New to trains from technic

Hi I'm a technic head at heart but starting to show some interest in these trains too,my question is where would I find a list of all popular sets etc and what are the most popular sets in the last few years.

Also is there a new set released every year etc like technic flagship models?

Welcome to trains. I'm a Technic guys turned to trains recently. Sets are not released every year like Technic flagships or sets. There are two streams of trains. There are CITY train sets which are geared towards kids. They come complete with tracks and Power Functions ready to run out of the box. There is the Creator Expert series which are more adult oriented with more details. They don't come with tracks or PFs.

You can query Bricksets for the list of trains. Currenty CITY trains are 60051 passenger train and 60052 cargo train. There isn't a Creator Expert currently. 10233 Horizon Express has been discontinued. You might be able still find one here or there in retail stores or on BrickLink/Ebay.

Welcome to trains.

The best set currently on sale is the cargo train 60052. Lots of parts and enough track to be interesting.

My humble suggestion for you is that, once you get the hang of it, get some extra parts and use your technic expertise to build a new locomotive with motor and gears that you probably already have.

It's worth noting that there are very occasionally 'train' sets that are part of neither line, for instance there was an ok train released with the Toy Story line (not really my thing, but some people liked it, and it had rare red wheels), and there was also the Lone Ranger Constitution Train, which was actually my introduction into Lego trains. I didn't even watch the Lone Ranger movie, but I thought that set was pretty ace. The Constitution was discontinued last year but can still be picked up for a decent price from bricklink or ebay.

Edited by Srbandrews

Welcome to a lifetime of Lego train addiction ;)

I agree with @dr_spock - the 60052 Cargo Train is probably your best bet for a starter set as it contains everything you'll need to get up and running, and is more interesting to build than the repetitive 60051 passenger train.

Dr_spock has it spot on re: set releases too.

I'd say buy the old ones first. They get more expensive day by day. It also gives you the possibility of getting your money back - they'll be easier to sell and for more than the currently available ones (fair enough, they cost more). Of course you'll need tracks and other gear for the set up, but I think it's worth it. Buying the new CITY models as an intro to trains is just burning money in my opinion. Of course, people have different opinions.

Hey David, welcome to one of the more addictive themes in Lego ;-)

As mentioned above, Lego unfortunately don't release many train sets these days. Every 3 or 4 years there's 3 City train sets; a passenger train, a freight train and a station. Sometimes there are extra's like a maintenance truck or a level crossing.

Buying advice would depend on what your intention is; if it's collecting then yes, get your hands on Emerald Night, Maersk and Horizon Express before the price goes up further. If you want to start MOC'ing your own trains then get the current freight train because it's a great starter pack of train parts; wheels, couplers, motor and track. After that Bricklink and eBay are your friend.

To answer your first question of a list of popular train sets head over to Brickset. I've created a custom query that shows you the most owned train sets. Not the definitive answer the best I could come up with.

http://brickset.com/sets/query-2088

Catching up get:

Horizon express 10233 immediately just discontinued and $ rising

Emerald night 10194

Maersk 10219

Maybe Sante Fe 10020 but super $$$

Current offerings:

New Creator this year fingers crossed save money and buy 2

Buy track on ebay/bricklink straight track is always in need

Blue cargo out now is nice entry train with track and PF included

Always buy the current station offering even if you don't like it, that

goes for all accessories train-wise

Welcome to trains! The more people buying them hopefully the

more offerings we will see from Lego.

Edited by Heavy2600

I won't tell about witch train are good or not to buy but about the place you need if you want de decent track layout. Take care, Lego trains need *some* space.

Try to find a "super set" witch is a train, a station, 2 points and some additional tracks.

You will find train sets on Brickset :

All City Trains : http://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Trains

Pervious gen (World City) : http://brickset.com/sets/subtheme-Trains/theme-World-City

Older ones (Trains) : http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Trains

I have a friend just expanding into trains and recommended he acquire the following:

-1x Horizon Express 10023, while the prices are still reasonable (call Lego direct, they may still have some left)

-1x Blue Cargo Train 60052 (great set to start with track, PFs, and train bits)

-1x Switching Track 7895 set

-2-3x 7499 Straight and Flexible Track sets

1x 8870 PF lights

The above will get you one of the AFOL trains (10233) and be able to motorize it (from the PFs in 60052) and then with the track from 60052 and the additional other track you can get a good start on a layout.

Edited by eliminator

I have a friend just expanding into trains and recommended he acquire the following:

-1x Horizon Express 10023, while the prices are still reasonable (call Lego direct, they may still have some left)

If you go that route, I'd suggest 2x the Horizon Express, it looks a little awkward with the locomotive on just one end.

isn't the Horizon Express a replica of the French TGV ?

TGV inspired the design of the Horizon Express. HE doesn't have the TGV lettering on the side of the engine like the real TGV. :wink:

TGV inspired the design of the Horizon Express. HE doesn't have the TGV lettering on the side of the engine like the real TGV. :wink:

If you want to be nitpicky, then yea, it's not a replica, but it's close enough that for most all intents and purposes, it is a replica.

If you want to be nitpicky, then yea, it's not a replica, but it's close enough that for most all intents and purposes, it is a replica.

I'm sure any similarity to any train living or dead was purely coincidental. (grin) In other words, not close enough to require a license.

"This [set] is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination, or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual [trains], living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental."

:sarcasm:

License = higher costs for you and me. Our friends over in the Technics forum know and complain they paid extra for the Mercedes logo on the 8110 Unimog set. :classic:

Bit of an update since I started collecting. Iv bought the following.

And still sealed.

Horizon express.

Maersk.

Iv also bought more parts to build 2 more tankers from 7939.

52BF851B-BF1E-47AA-A51C-5215FE252772.jpg

All I want now is the emerald night and I'll have the top 3 :)

Edited by davidmull

I can source an emerald night misb for €350 is that too expensive.

Any reason why it's so expensive!