Sign in to follow this  
Kumata

[MOC] Thomas the Tank Engine

16100908529_ddeb8325ea.jpg

A fun little deviation from my usual steam locomotive MOCs. Thomas was my gateway drug into the world of steam railways. The design was actually a lot trickier to figure out than I anticipated, and I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out - but it'll do.

I plan on incorporating this engine into my planned Lego railway layout too. Steam railways here in the UK often have "Thomas days" where one of their usual locos gets painted blue and fitted with a face, as an attraction for children. So this engine will represent that.

Very nice work; certainly one of the better Thomases that I've seen. You almost certainly know what you're doing better than I do, but I was just wondering whether there was a reason that your tank 'overhang' is so comparatively longand, as a result, your smokebox somewhat short?

EDIT: I've had a look at your flickr and pretty much all of your locos really appeal to me. I notice that you have done mostly small locos and they all seem to be unpowered. I'm currently working on a design for a small tank engine with power functions but I'm struggling and having to make compromises with the shape. You mention that you're planning a layout; do you plan on incorporating powered engines into that or will you it just be a stationary display (or would you have powered trucks instead?)

Edited by Srbandrews

Very nice work; certainly one of the better Thomases that I've seen. You almost certainly know what you're doing better than I do, but I was just wondering whether there was a reason that your tank 'overhang' is so comparatively longand, as a result, your smokebox somewhat short?

Thank you! I honestly couldn't pinpoint what felt wrong to me about the design. Will definitely try to reduce the overhang and make it all in better proportion. This will sound so insignificant, but the reason it ended up that way is because Thomas' boiler has 6 red stripes separating 5 blue sections and I wanted to match that.

EDIT:

EDIT: I've had a look at your flickr and pretty much all of your locos really appeal to me. I notice that you have done mostly small locos and they all seem to be unpowered. I'm currently working on a design for a small tank engine with power functions but I'm struggling and having to make compromises with the shape. You mention that you're planning a layout; do you plan on incorporating powered engines into that or will you it just be a stationary display (or would you have powered trucks instead?)

Nah, I won't be having powered locos of any sort - sounds odd, but it just doesn't appeal to me. If I want to play with my layout, I'm happy to push the trains along by hand.

Edited by Kumata

Nah, I won't be having powered locos of any sort - sounds odd, but it just doesn't appeal to me. If I want to play with my layout, I'm happy to push the trains along by hand.

Actually, that gives me some comfort. I don't know why I might feel my unpowered locos need validation on this point, but there it is. There are certain advantages to having an unpowered engine besides not having to find the space: for instance, I don't have much of a track and if I want to 'enjoy' a loco, it's usually by popping it on my coffee table and just looking at it now and then when I'm working, reading or watching television and occasionally maybe sort of running it back and forth across the table like a big kid. It's a bit frustrating that you can't run a powered loco 'unplugged' like that without fear of damaging the motor.

That's a nice build, even some of your simpler tricks have great impact, e.g., the red stripes on the boiler.

On a side note, if the UK is anything like the US, the Thomas locomotives are trucked in rather than one of the host road's locomotives (I think there are two standard gauge and one narrow gauge in the US that go from show to show).

That's a nice build, even some of your simpler tricks have great impact, e.g., the red stripes on the boiler.

On a side note, if the UK is anything like the US, the Thomas locomotives are trucked in rather than one of the host road's locomotives (I think there are two standard gauge and one narrow gauge in the US that go from show to show).

Occasionally you do see blue tank engines that look nothing like Thomas done up with a face for family days.

I dont think that ever happens here. Most heritage railways either decorate one of their existing engines for a brief period, or have a specially decorated 'Thomas' locomotive that only gets used on these special events.

Once I visited a heritage railway where their 'Thomas' was sitting in clear view just outside the engine workshop, possibly in the process of being decorated ready for such an event. The paintwork was all done but it hadn't been fitted with a face, which looked quite eerie to be honest. A child some steps behind me, discovering the engine, exclaimed happily to his mother "look, look mummy it's Thomas!... why hasn't he got a face?" Mum was quick on her feet: "Shh, it's because he's sleeping." :laugh:

Edited by Kumata

That's cool to know, Thomas and the other railway engines are a bit exotic over here in the US, they do not look much like our steam engines, but I remain amazed when looking though the original books how accurate they are to UK steamers. It is also neat to read the stories that clearly have their roots in actual events and to see the progression from "common locomotives" in the early books to an island with a benevolent Fat Controller who refuses to convert his steam locomotives in the later books.

I believe the Thomas's in the US are hollow shells that were never actual steam engines. Reportedly after they were first built, the operator inside could move the eyes independently. A feature that has since been disabled.

Great build. My son's love of Thomas is what justified my meddling venture into trains, and he hoots over the 60052 already - so this is great inspiration!

benevolent Fat Controller who refuses to convert his steam locomotives in the later books.

Surely you're not referring to Mr. Toppom Hat in such disrespectful terms?!?!?!

I dont think that ever happens here. Most heritage railways either decorate one of their existing engines for a brief period, or have a specially decorated 'Thomas' locomotive that only gets used on these special events.

Once I visited a heritage railway where their 'Thomas' was sitting in clear view just outside the engine workshop, possibly in the process of being decorated ready for such an event. The paintwork was all done but it hadn't been fitted with a face, which looked quite eerie to be honest. A child some steps behind me, discovering the engine, exclaimed happily to his mother "look, look mummy it's Thomas!... why hasn't he got a face?" Mum was quick on her feet: "Shh, it's because he's sleeping." :laugh:

I'm reasonably certain it does actually, there are one or two jobbing Thomas stand-ins, and as none of them are mainline certificated, they have to go by road.

Infact I'm reasonably certain at least one of them is officially licensed by the production company behind Thomas (or was back when I still attended these things), Brit Alcroft. These tend to be the events with the 3d faces (one such event happened early in Tornado's existence resulting in Tornado wearing a Thomas face when in post works grey).

2794078118_5045f9bce3_z.jpg?zz=1

It wasn't very convincing...

I believe the Thomas's in the US are hollow shells that were never actual steam engines. Reportedly after they were first built, the operator inside could move the eyes independently. A feature that has since been disabled.

Thomas was based on a London Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR, then later Southern Railway) E4 class, of which sadly there are no survivors. Due to their similar look and numerous survivors, the London Midland and Scottish Railway's (LMS) 3F 'Jinties' tend to be used for Thomas events, all of which remain working locomotives for the purposes of Thomas events.

Edited by Redimus

Surely you're not referring to Mr. Toppom Hat in such disrespectful terms?!?!?!

Oh, no disrespect, I'm just more familiar with the original books. In the first book, the Three Railway Engines, there was "a fat director" on board Henry's train when Henry refused to come out of the tunnel. This character quickly morphed into "the fat director", then in the forward of the third book, James the Red Engine, this character became the fat controller. It was not until after the last book in the original series that he became Sir Toppom Hat.

Oh, no disrespect, I'm just more familiar with the original books. In the first book, the Three Railway Engines, there was "a fat director" on board Henry's train when Henry refused to come out of the tunnel. This character quickly morphed into "the fat director", then in the forward of the third book, James the Red Engine, this character became the fat controller. It was not until after the last book in the original series that he became Sir Toppom Hat.

More specifically pre nationalisation had the Fat Director, all after 1948 had The Fat Controller.

Since we're playing the nitpicking game: it's actually spelled Topham Hatt. :tongue:

Edited by Kumata