Kumata

[MOC] Saddle Tank steam locomotive + updated truck

16099444038_a08684efbd.jpg

Yet another Lego 'Saddle Tank' locomotive of my own design, an 0-6-0 based on the locomotive 'Portbury' that still operates as a tourist attraction at Bristol harbour. I live in Bristol so, as a child, I had a number of rides on Portbury and it was probably an influence in my extensive love of steam railways.

I've also updated the design for my GWR-style coal truck. It now has doors that can be lowered for disposal of its load! Sadly though, try as I might I couldn't get them exactly level with the rest of the truck's walls. But I'm happy enough with how it turned out.

Absolutely love this engine! I really like this shape of ST loco and even though it shouldn't be so difficult to reproduce, I've seen relatively few lego renditions that really capture the right shape and proportions. Great work.

Edited by Srbandrews

I like this. Would be interested to know if it's possible to make a version in grey to match Portbury's colour better.

It's quite a good likeness despite the limited amount of detail you can fit in to such a small model.

I've shared this on a Facebook group about M-Shed with links to here and your Flickr page. Hope you don't mind, but I felt it was relevant enough to Bristol Harbour Railway for them to see.

You should try to get a picture of the model with the real thing if you get an opportunity.

I like this. Would be interested to know if it's possible to make a version in grey to match Portbury's colour better.

I would say that Portbury is more of an off-white than grey. There is a milky white colour that matches almost perfectly (not sure of the colour's official name but it was introduced in the 2006 BIONICLE Thok set) but there are too few pieces available in that colour for it to be possible, sadly.

I've shared this on a Facebook group about M-Shed with links to here and your Flickr page. Hope you don't mind, but I felt it was relevant enough to Bristol Harbour Railway for them to see.

Thanks! I don't mind my stuff being shared at all, it'd be interesting to see what they think of it. :sweet:

You should try to get a picture of the model with the real thing if you get an opportunity.

Good idea. Might have to wait until later in the year though, when the sun is prone to actually coming out.

Edited by Kumata

Thanks! I don't mind my stuff being shared at all, it'd be interesting to see what they think of it. :sweet:

So far it's had 9 'likes' and one person said "That is really awesome! :) "

Good idea. Might have to wait until later in the year though, when the sun is prone to actually coming out.

Definitely a good idea to wait until better weather.

Thanks to this discussion, I've just had an idea for a model to build now. Don't know when I'll get round to it though...

I guess it's too small to power with PF (or even 9v)?

It's too small to fit a power functions motor, yes. I'm not really sure about 9v though as I don't know how that system works.

It's too small to fit a power functions motor, yes. I'm not really sure about 9v though as I don't know how that system works.

The regular 9V technic motor? It has a fixed axle and is slightly bulkier than the PF M motor. You would need an adapter cable, too.

The regular 9V technic motor? It has a fixed axle and is slightly bulkier than the PF M motor. You would need an adapter cable, too.

If that motor piece is a similar size to the power functions one, then no. I did make a larger saddle tank engine, it miiight be possible to squeeze a motor into that build with some modification.

9V requires the metal rails and black and yellow speed transformer, but it means the train itself only requires the motor unit (similar to PF motor unit with wheels) and the model doesn't need to carry IR sensor and battery pack too. There's a useful guide on ebay with more detail here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Lego-R-9-Volt-Trains-A-Brief-and-Basic-Overview-/10000000001680080/g.html.

Only real downsides are that it's no longer in production (PF has replaced it) so parts (esp straight track) can be pricey.

Hope that makes sense!

9V requires the metal rails and black and yellow speed transformer, but it means the train itself only requires the motor unit (similar to PF motor unit with wheels) and the model doesn't need to carry IR sensor and battery pack too. There's a useful guide on ebay with more detail here: http://www.ebay.co.u...1680080/g.html.

That link doesn't work, but I get what you mean. It should be possible to incorporate a 9v motor into a design of this size, then! The wheelbase/boiler comprises a solid chunk where it might be hidden.