Blondie-Wan

The LEGO Movie snubbed for Oscars

The Oscar nominations were just announced, and the only category in which The LEGO Movie was nominated was Best Original Song, for you-know-what by Shawn Patterson. Honestly, I though it would likely win Best Animated Movie, and be nominated in other categories.

I haven't paid much attention to the Oscars in years, but this was still a disappointment.

The Oscars are meaningless. Who makes these decisions? According to this page, it's white men over 50. The whole things really stupid to me. If they really wanted this to mean anything, they would allow many people from different demographics to vote.

This is just silly. A film with a whopping 96% Tomatometer (probably among the highest scores achieved last year) isn't worthy of a nomination? Cut me a break :hmpf_bad:

I was upset to see this but not surprised really. The Oscars rarely, if ever, actually reward the movies that the most people see and enjoy.

Besides the technical Oscars, Star Wars never won a Best Picture Oscar (although the first one was nominated but lost......to Annie Hall).

So, (one of) THE defining, most loved, most popular, groundbreaking movie(s) of all time lost to......a Woody Allen pic?

But wait! It gets better!

Sir Alfred Hitchcock. Without any doubt one of the best directors ever. A legend, a genius. Nominated 5 times for Best Director.....but never won.

Sure, the Academy gave him the Thalberg Award in 1983, but thats just an 'We f***** up and forgot you.....so here's an award!'.

Over the years there have been really, really, REALLY awful Oscar winners......

How to Train a Dragon Part 2 got a nomination....LEGO movie didn't.

1645445-blurb_facepalm2_20090622.jpg

The Oscars are meaningless. Who makes these decisions? According to this page, it's white men over 50. The whole things really stupid to me. If they really wanted this to mean anything, they would allow many people from different demographics to vote.

This is correct. I remember reading an article somewhere about how majority of the deciders don't watch all of the animated movies, or any at all.

Screw the Oscars. TLM has to be part of the Archives.

But at the same time, the white gramps over 50 think TLM is the longest advertisement for a toy for kids over 3 in the history of man, and should never be nominated with that reason in mind. Yeah. I think I've just seen the line of thinking the gramps had.

Easy to see they have matured very well, indeed. I'd rather have James May do the nominations.

Edited by XAxles

But at the same time, the white gramps over 50 think TLM is the longest advertisement for a toy for kids over 3 in the history of man, and should never be nominated with that reason in mind. Yeah. I think I've just seen the line of thinking the gramps had.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. That's how the Oscars are, they let commercial appeal blind them to the artistry of a movie. TLM should have gotten far more nominations, but unfortunately the people in charge can't overlook the fact that it's a toy.

Actually that pretty much describes the movie right there. All that's missing is it should say "longest advertisement with a plot that screams "The 90's are calling, they want their cheesy plot twist back" for a toy for kids over 3.

This news is indeed disappointing- I was a thousand percent sure it would get nominated AND win. I'm just wondering if the live-action sequence disqualified it for not being 100% animated. I don't know if that's a rule or guideline or whatever, and I can't think of any winning film that had live action in it.

This news is indeed disappointing- I was a thousand percent sure it would get nominated AND win. I'm just wondering if the live-action sequence disqualified it for not being 100% animated. I don't know if that's a rule or guideline or whatever, and I can't think of any winning film that had live action in it.

There is indeed a rule about that, but it's simply that to qualify for the Best Animated award, a movie has to be at least 75% animated, or no more than 25% live action. The LEGO Movie easily qualified.

I'd also have liked to have seen it nominated for production design and original screenplay, actually.

Frankly I could care less about the oscars. There are scores of great actors and movies that have never gotten nominations. It's mostly a popularity contest for Hollywood. Studios spend a great deal of money for advertisement every year that is aimed directly at the Academy. Mainly because winning is great for further promoting a film. I've never watched a movie that seemed better because it had win an award nor a movie that seemed worse because it hadn't. Citizen Kane a movie many believe to be the best movie ever made was viewed an utter disaster when it was released and whose film was almost destroyed because of it. Makes what a small group of people think less important as it's ultimately about one enjoys.

Edited by Darth Punk

A lot of people won't even watch it because they think it's purely an advertisement for LEGO. I saw a lot of reviews that started off mentioning that and knocking it down for it. A lot of people went into it with that mindset. It's sad really, if you know LEGO's history and past themes you can tell it has so much more than that to it. Not to mention a lot of what's in the movie isn't even available as sets (aside from the LEGO Movie theme.)

It is also a film that challenges a lot of the rules in a colourful and appealing manner. Because everyone knows that Conform, Consume, Obey is the best way of life!

Oscars aren't Oscars anymore, none of last decade winners would stand a chance in the 90s or 80s and none of them will be watched within 10 or 20 years from their premiere. There's simply no magic in them, nothing to praise them for after yars. Well, most of them at least.

But staying close to this topic.

Is it really worth an Oscar? As much as shitty movies are given Oscars every year i've always thought anyway that academy awards should be reserved only to those of the movie that bring something into the cinema, higly universal, with great story, art and so and so...

Even to a point where they simply should NOT be given to ANY movie if none of them really deserve it.

I mean, it's not some kind of competition, like winning a race. These are supposed to mean something.

So why on earth would You like Lego Movie to win it and stay in the books?

I admit, i watched it, enjoyed it, there were some funny and original moments... but beside that... there's really nothing special about it.

Nothing that would allow it to stand in one group with animation classic. Like all of the disney cartoon movies that every new generation watches over and over again.

And then it's this ridiculous song nomination!

For what??

That song might be funny and fitting within a movie, but it doesn't change the fact that it's terrible, idiotic, nothing to praise really. I understand the premise of that song, but it doesn't allow a song to be that terrible and badly written!

Even pastiche song can be masterpiece, goddammit!

The Oscars is still a thing?

I enjoyed the LEGO movie, but it isn't the best thing since sliced bread. But what really is? Sliced bread is the best...err, what was I talking about?

And then it's this ridiculous song nomination!

For what??

That song might be funny and fitting within a movie, but it doesn't change the fact that it's terrible, idiotic, nothing to praise really. I understand the premise of that song, but it doesn't allow a song to be that terrible and badly written!

Even pastiche song can be masterpiece, goddammit!

What's wrong with Everything is Awesome?

It's no I Work Alone or Nothing's Gonna Stop Us, but other than the line about how allergies are awesome*, it's a perfectly great song.

It even emphasizes the lesson that The LEGO Movie itself somewhat mis-taught - the fact that all styles of building are 'awesome'. Sure, some people may glue their bricks, and some of us may not support that - but like nnenn himself taught(by example), it's about having fun, whatever style you build in, whatever way you build in.

*They AREN'T.

It even emphasizes the lesson that The LEGO Movie itself somewhat mis-taught

Exactly! But as i said before, it doesn't change the fact that both music and lyrics should be better, whatever the song is about and whatever the reason behind it's sound.

This one, comparing to others, is just a crap. Crap that You can sign and laugh at, but still nothing to remember.

Perhaps it didn't count as an animated film as some of it was live-action? Either way, not being nominated for anything else is completely ridiculous

If normal people don't fall asleep 15 minutes in then a movie is clearly not Oscar worthy.

Perhaps it didn't count as an animated film as some of it was live-action? Either way, not being nominated for anything else is completely ridiculous

Wall-E had live-action, and it got an Oscar

As said earlier, it only has to be 75% animated, and can be 25% live-action.

As said earlier, it only has to be 75% animated, and can be 25% live-action.

Wall-E had live-action, and it got an Oscar

I see, then there really is no excuse...

It is also a film that challenges a lot of the rules in a colourful and appealing manner. Because everyone knows that Conform, Consume, Obey is the best way of life!

Big brother is your friend!

As sad as this may seem, this has to be the wisest thing I've ever seen written on this forum.