PKW

[TC6] Motorstorm Pacific Truck - Molotov Baikal

hi to all! this will be my entry for the TC6! I hope I success to build it as I want and I don't fail to build this MOC, it is a truck took from the videogame Motorstorm:pacific rift, I want to test my ability with my first scaled MOC and also, as I love to do, putting some strange and complex functions into a small creation :3 those are the four function that I've planned:

-1 buggy motor for drive (4x4 with two differential)

-1 M motor fot 2 speed gearbox

-1 servo motor for fron wheel steering

and....

-1 L/XL motor for boost function, with overcharge system (it is reallly difficult to build into that creation)

the points where I'm focused are:

-make a reliable chassis with 4 link suspension similar to the molotov baikal one (the "real" type of suspension is impossible to build due to the start from a videogame, it doesn't respect all the physics rules ahahah)

- make a llimited-lifetime boost function (automatic slow recharge) like the game, with a brake function if it is overloaded (in motorstorm cars explode but I can't replicate that :'( )

-finish this moc D: i'm not an expert builder but I love if someone could restart this project after my try

those are some pics of the molotov baikal, i have to built it in yellow and with gray wheels but i hope to make some stickers for the black and red painting

MSPR_Pikywiky_10.jpg

MSPR_Pikywiky_11.jpg

MSPR_Pikywiky_12.jpg

MSPR_Pikywiky_13.jpg

photo took with the in-game photo mode

this is my first try for the chassis, unfortunately I don't have 4 9m uniball link but it looks more similar to the molotov baikal system

i've made some improvements and also tested the gearbox that works quite well, i'm only worried about the boost system and the truck cockpit

C76AF5E1-558D-40DD-9FBA-C8556FA03902.jpg

suggestions, impressions and critics are welcome!

Nice progress so far.

what is that boost function with L motor?

One correction: it cant be 4x4 if it has non-lockable differentials.

Right now, it is awd :)

Looks like a good start

sorry to be off topic, but wow we have seen a lot of different mocs from you in a short amount of time. Nicely done

Nice progress so far.

No, it's still 4x4.

1421278623[/url]' post='2107120']

Looks like a good start

sorry to be off topic, but wow we have seen a lot of different mocs from you in a short amount of time. Nicely done

tracked scorpion Was an old building and Also quite simple for me To build, that photo Was taken when I dismounted the battlebot some days ago

1421278174[/url]' post='2107115']

Nice progress so far.

if i'm Not mistaking My truck doesn't have lockable dofferential, however thank you To have taught me a new thing, i don't know that difference

in The game Boost upgrade speed an acceleration forse a limited time in you use It while is overloading your veichle Will explode :3 due To The lack of Power in The 2nd gear, gearing up and connecting a L motor To The buggy one is possibile to increase speed and acceleration, but I also want To limit Its lifetime with a mechanism that I'm still perfecting in My mind :3

Edited by PKW

The truck looks great, but am i only one who thinks that those wheels are too small?

Interesting truck! I'm very curious about what this boost function will be and how it will work.

And I agree with pint14, I'd use some more impressive wheels for this type of vehicle, like Unimog or balloon tires.

The truck looks great, but am i only one who thinks that those wheels are too small?

yes you're Right wheels are 1 stud smaller than what they have To be for a perfect proportion with The length but when The aesthetics Will be finished They won't look Small

Interesting truck! I'm very curious about what this boost function will be and how it will work.

And I agree with pint14, I'd use some more impressive wheels for this type of vehicle, like Unimog or balloon tires.

I think you know how much is bigger an unimog wheel than those one, and is impossibile for me to make an huge building due to piece limit but also for power limit

I'll make the boost function after finishing the bodywork, it has to fit inside ;)

Edited by PKW

news from the chassis :3 I've made a better gearbox (but sure not the last version)

5B9E5E19-AD60-4BEB-905F-101E67C7D866.jpg

a better steering axle, it has some play but during the drive it works really well and with a plausible steering range

70682DC1-C143-4F86-AAD5-FADE162E88DD.jpg

BE4B91F0-C22B-4E18-BB2F-99193095F87C.jpg

also the first item of aesthetics, this could be useful to decide if I have to make a shorter chassis

993838C8-E0B1-4462-B09D-3E90C9D219AC.jpg

and this is a view of the complete chassis

7754C324-D6A2-4CD5-ABF4-E7ECCEF8DD49.jpg

Nice MOC! What other 2 functions do you think you will combine in that?

there are written ;') boost function and 2 speed gearbox

if i'm Not mistaking My truck doesn't have lockable dofferential, however thank you To have taught me a new thing, i don't know that difference

If you say it does not have (you did not put option to lock diffs), then it is regular awd. 4x4 means simply that all four wheels have same speed and same torque (all three diffs are locked)

I like your idea for a boost! :)

If you say it does not have (you did not put option to lock diffs), then it is regular awd. 4x4 means simply that all four wheels have same speed and same torque (all three diffs are locked)

I like your idea for a boost! :)

ok, i've simply used 4x4 as a it means 4 wheels on the floor and 4 wheel drive as 8x8x4 means 8 wheel on the floor, four 8 drive and 4 wheel steering so I think this veichle is an AWD ATV :3

my idea is to connect 1 or 2 L motors geared 1:4.8 (a little bit faster than the faster output of the RC motor) that are also connected to an high reduced winch that move a brake approaching it to the gears, if you activate the turbo you will activate the winch but when you stop the turbo motors a rubberband get the brake slowly far from the gears, it can do that because winch is connected to motors via moving gear (gears not put in a fixed liftarms but in a rotating one pointed on the principal gear axle and they move to the other gear only when the principal is running and move them) if you continue to use turbo the car will autobrake :3 hope i'm explained well but is really difficult for me to explain this mechanism in english :(

2C10D792-EE60-4D5F-9A02-3831DB326BBE.jpg

i completed the cage for the cockpit, but I'm worried about one thing, although I'm quite optimistic To acheive to build a great bodywork, I'm not dure if my boost function will work, testing this MOC I've seen that the gearbox works well but also that the power used by it make (for example) impossible to shift down the gear when it is not moving, I don't have the lego original system for gearboxes and I need To move To shift gear but in the second gear the buggy motor, combied with the gearbox motor use al the battery power, si I hope that turbo won't stole all the power that he use To power up the buggy motor, or I need an other battery box and the Weight will be too much (I'm using the lipo battery box but I don't know if it is tired :') ) also I'm not very sure about the cage, but i've used all my red piece To do it and I can make a better one only in black D:

Hey! I've finished the bodywork, What di you think about? :wub: Is really hard for me to build realistic Lines To emulate the molotov baikal, but this has a really funny shape :3

34670FEA-9BA2-470A-9D19-0833AEA290DB.jpg

FDAC4637-F6FC-432F-91D5-4F8A99172B59.jpg

3BF802C8-43B4-4358-A3E5-8FAE7EAAA6FF.jpg

The the battery of my iPod died so I decided to put another detail :')

B049E484-E36C-43A3-9AFF-44EECB192694.jpg

Please tell me your opinion, expecially if it isn't good ;)

Great idea, and I like what you've done so far.

I would recommend covering the hole in the bed and the buggy motor by putting the box in place behind the cab.

Also, I would try and make the role cage fit the cab slightly better just to neaten things off.

If you want to go the extra mile, add small things like openable doors, that just enhance the model that little bit more.

I really like what you've got so far though!

looks good, but if I may give recommendation. Build the cab first, then the roll cage. It will look better trust me. Doing it this way will also allow you to build the cab more like the original truck. Happy building!

1421607484[/url]' post='2110449']

Great idea, and I like what you've done so far.

I would recommend covering the hole in the bed and the buggy motor by putting the box in place behind the cab.

Also, I would try and make the role cage fit the cab slightly better just to neaten things off.

If you want to go the extra mile, add small things like openable doors, that just enhance the model that little bit more.

I really like what you've got so far though!

thank you! This is my last process, i've added the mirrors and the motor cage, now the cabin is 1m more o

long and the cage 1M shorter than before, i can't make openable doors due To the small scale and I have to fit into the cabin the boost mechanism and the receivers, taking about the cage if you see the photo its measure are taken by the wole truck, and it has not to touch the bodywork so 1M is the smaller distance, also i'm using angle 5 (67,5°)connector To fix the cage to the motor cover (not finished) only because i don't hav angle 4 (45°) red connectors :( and i need to modify the steering or find some piece that are shorter than the 5,5M axle with the stop at 1M

78864CEF-3939-4758-999C-46C510EDABE8.jpg

PS: it is really funny to drive this truck and use the 2speed gearbox, it only requires big space to reach the highest speed, like its "real" brother molotov baikal ahahah

Edited by PKW

Wow nice creation! I will definitely vote for you! When will you post a video?

Wow nice creation! I will definitely vote for you! When will you post a video?

Ohh thanks, but it isn't finished ;) i completed the aestethics only to see how much space I have to fit the boost mechanism, and I have to see if the battery box are enough powerful to power the RC motor and the L motor ;)

That looks a lot better now. I really think that's made all the difference. Keep working on that boost mechanism and it'll be fantastic!

This is the final version of the gearbox, due To my 3M clutch is is really fluid and it doesn't use too much power To work

4968370D-0DF5-4AAD-94C8-507C8A8849F7.jpg

Those are some photos of the clutch hope they will be useful for you

43A186AB-E8DC-4912-B458-C1B706509010.jpg

D1D6818D-22E8-41A1-9029-F7C7C7770FC2.jpg

But I have a bad new, I'm nera ti fail this MOC :(

Edited by PKW

The reason why I'm near to fail this MOC is one, really simple, and called: thermal protection

Searching in philo website I've found that all lego battery boxes have a thermal protection (that don't Let them give to motors/receivers more than 750mA/h) this is a bad news because even if the v2 receiver could power up one L motor and one buggy motor togheter (normal propulsion+ boost) the battery box cut out its power after sole seconds, this Could be useful To make an electronic overcherge of the boost that acts like the motorstorm one, but... The boost in that small amount if time hasn't enough power to speed up the truck, after different gearing tries i've definitelly left that mechanis.

So those are some options that could save this building, but I need some help and please suggest whatever you want!

1) a subtractor mechanism with two L motors (reduced speed but it could work, and I think I could make the autobraking system when "overcharged")

2) buy another battery box, by the Weight will be too high I think and also lipo battery are expensive

3) and old 9v motor move a switch that control the L motor powered by the old 9V small battery box (more weight and without an autobraking system)