Sign in to follow this  
talos

How do you spend your VIP Points?

I am wondering how often has there been a triple VIP point offer? I have only been back into Lego for the past year, and have not ever seen a 3x offer. When was the last time that happened? Anyone remember?

I believe it was 2013. I don't recall any triple points in 2014. You picked a time to return when LEGO is more popular than ever and not much incentives required to drive sales.

Edited by dr_spock

If it isn't too rude to ask a question, is everyone spending thousands of pounds/dollars/euros to get so many points, or, as I suspect are there bonus points or ways to get more than 1 pt per £ ?

It's a bit of everything in my case. I generally buy all the big sets and other stuff that catches my eye. My yearly spend over the past few years has been in the 1000s of euros each year, and that number does not begin with a 1. This year already I have bought the new modular, the 2 new creator houses, the complete CMF, the Slave 1, Birds and other stuff. I don't like to fall behind because there is always something else new around the corner. But as the room fills I do foresee a slowdown on the spending i.e. more selective buying... Either that or my wife will divorce me ;-)

I believe it was 2013. I don't recall any triple points in 2014. You picked a time to return when LEGO is more popular than ever and not much incentives required to drive sales.

Lord Business's Lair was triple points in the summer.

On the 5th of January (this year) they did an extra double point day for people who ordered something on their previous double VIP point day (last year). That was something of an unexpected bonus.

I don't buy too often from the Lego store or Shop @ Home, but when I do I usually redeem at my next trip to the Lego Store or if S@H has free shipping I buy a minifigure for free! It would take me five years to save enough to buy something big!

(snip) is everyone spending thousands of pounds/dollars/euros to get so many points, or, as I suspect are there bonus points or ways to get more than 1 pt per £ ?

I'm a reasonably patient person so I try to wait to take advantage of double (or the rare triple) VIP points offers when I can, but, at least in my case, I think the general answer is "Yes, I have lots of rewards points because I spend ten to twenty times that much in actual purchases from LEGO" I also probably spend too much on non-LEGO suppliers such as Bricklink vendors and Amazon, but that's a different issue.

When you stop to think about it, all the VIP points reward system is, is a 5% off coupon where the value of the coupon can only be redeemed against a _future_ purchase rather than the current one. So, to get a $150 kit "free" it really does involve spending $3000 on other kits. Even if all your purchases were in October (double points month), you're really only getting a 10% coupon, so you'd still be spending $1500 for that "free" modular (sort of like a polybag promotion on steroids…). If you see a kit on sale at Amazon for, say, 12% off MSRP, it's actually a better value than getting the same kit from LEGO even during double VIP points promotions and you don't have to commit to a future purchase to realize the savings.

These days, I _am_ one of _those people_ who waves a VIP card and "magically" gets a high end set for (seemingly) pocket change, but I have a lot of empathy for people who simply can't afford to be in that position. Growing up as a 1st generation immigrant I kept asking my folks for Lego but they kept squandering their money on silly things like milk, bread and the occasional meat product that _didn't_ come from a can, so I appreciate what it means to have the luxury of a "disposable" income to indulge in personal vices and Lego is my vice of choice. I don't think it's anything to brag about, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either; it simply is what it is. As vices go, it's fairly innocuous compared with smoking, drinking, gambling, womanizing, etc. When I compare what I spend on Lego what some of my old college mates spend on ski trips, art collections, fine dining, etc it's really not that outrageous an expense. What I spend on Lego, I make up for in the budget by not buying something else and I've worked long enough and hard enough that the "something else" is definitely something I can live without - as opposed to trivial things like food and shelter back in the good old days :sweet:

(snip) But as the room fills I do foresee a slowdown on the spending i.e. more selective buying... Either that or my wife will divorce me ;-)

I can relate to this. I am blessed with a VUSAFOL (very understanding spouse of an adult fan of Lego) but even she has her limits. My wife has expressed a strong desire for me to either tone down the collecting or build an addition on the house to get it out of the way -- this spring I hope to refinish the attic :blush:

I use my VIP points to help buy sets for my son, he is 5 and I put the points towards his pocket money so he can buy slightly bigger sets than he would otherwise be able to afford. Otherwise he would only ever be able to afford a minifig police motorbike each month, saving is not something a 5 year old understands too well! Also means he benefits from anything I buy.

I'm a reasonably patient person so I try to wait to take advantage of double (or the rare triple) VIP points offers when I can, but, at least in my case, I think the general answer is "Yes, I have lots of rewards points because I spend ten to twenty times that much in actual purchases from LEGO" I also probably spend too much on non-LEGO suppliers such as Bricklink vendors and Amazon, but that's a different issue.

If you see a kit on sale at Amazon for, say, 12% off MSRP, it's actually a better value than getting the same kit from LEGO even during double VIP points promotions and you don't have to commit to a future purchase to realize the savings.

These days, I _am_ one of _those people_ who waves a VIP card and "magically" gets a high end set for (seemingly) pocket change, but I have a lot of empathy for people who simply can't afford to be in that position. Growing up as a 1st generation immigrant I kept asking my folks for Lego but they kept squandering their money on silly things like milk, bread and the occasional meat product that _didn't_ come from a can, so I appreciate what it means to have the luxury of a "disposable" income to indulge in personal vices and Lego is my vice of choice.

I can relate to this. I am blessed with a VUSAFOL (very understanding spouse of an adult fan of Lego) but even she has her limits. My wife has expressed a strong desire for me to either tone down the collecting or build an addition on the house to get it out of the way -- this spring I hope to refinish the attic :blush:

Well ShaydDGrai we are in a similar situation. I also do quite a bit of spending outside LEGO S&H, also on the second hand market when catching up with older models I previously missed out on. I a forunate to have a good job that allows some financial freedom, but its a choice about what to spend your disposable income on.

Anyhow, as a kid my parents weren't poor and I was the happiest boy when I got my annual SPACE or TECHNIC set. May sets I would have loved to of gotten but were simply out of budget..

Yes, my wife is really also quite understanding. But everything has its limits!

I use my VIP points to help buy sets for my son, he is 5 and I put the points towards his pocket money so he can buy slightly bigger sets than he would otherwise be able to afford. Otherwise he would only ever be able to afford a minifig police motorbike each month, saving is not something a 5 year old understands too well! Also means he benefits from anything I buy.

I think this has to be the best usage of VIP points I have read in this whole section. You have my vote!