Sign in to follow this  
tibivi

MODs of Sheepo's mustang and caterham

Hey all,

I have made Sheepo's mustang after seeing him at lego fan weekend in 2013.

But although it is just superb in almost every way i wanted to make it faster. :sweet:

So i just kept the body and made a new chassis for the mustang. After i saw how well it performed with the powerfull motors, i decided to do the same with the caterham. This was much simpler because the body is the chassis here, so i just had to build the body and put the units in.

On the mustang i putted wheels from the sunset cruiser and the super seven is sitting on the red tires you could buy with the dirt crusher. Both are doing around 25km/h which i think is not bad for these huge cars.

Here is the photoset: https://www.flickr.c...57650262095995/

16262779882_306251c994_c.jpg

15641185874_8030e69b41_c.jpg

16077489659_f93583d5a5_c.jpg

16077487249_ba41385f03_c.jpg

Thanks to Sheepo for making such nicely styled bodies which are Just the right scale for these motors :thumbup::laugh:

Tibivi

Ps: The caterham is not yet finished, it neds some details like a dash and seats. Also some hoses are still on there way.

Edited by tibivi

Cool, you should definitely make a video!

Also, the wheels look awesome on the Mustang (excvept for the orange tyres of course)! :thumbup:

What power units are you using? 25kmh is really very good speed. Will you make a video of it?

Thanks

I have used the battery, motor and steering units from the 8675 Outdoor challenger and the Dirt chrusher, i will probably make a video but not very soon, as i am having exams this month :p

Yeah, those sets you used for a base are beasts! Drive and drift like a crazy.

It looks like you have extended the wheel base. Now I wonder did you manage to find out a solution to make this rigid? And how longer the wheel base is now?

Cool, you should definitely make a video!

Also, the wheels look awesome on the Mustang (except for the orange tyres of course)! :thumbup:

I'm guessing the reason for using such tires is their high traction (soft rubber)

Edited by DrJB

Actually there are only three types of wheels which fit on the so-called 'superaxles'.

These are the wheels from the 8676 sunset cruiser and 8378 red beast, the ones from 8369 Dirt Crusher end then the ones from 8675 outdoor challenger.

As i don't have the red beast the tires had to be orange, bevause the other two are bigger.

@zux; all parts of those sets are compatible with regular technic, so the axles are part of a technic chassis.

In the future can you include some of the photos in your original post? Simply go to the detail page of a picture, select 800 wide picture, right click the picture and copy image url.

Well ya beat me to it. I also am working on some modifications to Sheepo's horse to make it faster.... but like you have little time to complete them. I won't give away details, but hopefully should be able to post soon. I understand you are busy.... but looking forward to a video soon :classic:

In the future can you include some of the photos in your original post? Simply go to the detail page of a picture, select 800 wide picture, right click the picture and copy image url.

Thanks for he advise, I will think of that next time :thumbup:

Well ya beat me to it. I also am working on some modifications to Sheepo's horse to make it faster.... but like you have little time to complete them. I won't give away details, but hopefully should be able to post soon. I understand you are busy.... but looking forward to a video soon :classic:

Thank you, I look forward to see your attempt as wel :wink:

I found time today to shoot a short video of the caterham in action and hopefully i can make some time free this week to shoot one of the mustang and upload them.

@zux; all parts of those sets are compatible with regular technic, so the axles are part of a technic chassis.

I'm completely aware of compatibility with Technic - already made body over standard 8369 chassis, just not shared here on EB.

So I still wonder how did you made wheel base longer. Is your solution rigid enough? On my initial try chassis was somewhat too much flexible.

Indeed, a chassis with just beams would be too flexible, i have made a heavily reinforced chassis with two layers on front and rear and then used the body (just as sheepo) as part of the chassis.

I put a 8466 body on the 8369 chassis once, i would love to see what you came up with, Do you have a picture of it? :)

When I look at these MOCs I can't help but think of the time I worked for the automotive few years back. One of the big 3 tire makers was looking for ways to sell more replacement tires ... and they wanted to focus on 50% of the population that usually did not have a say in tire selection. Can you guess?

Well, they presented few tires with sidewalls in womanly colors (pink, purple, ...) in the hope of selling more such tires to women. They even offered 'custom' colors to those interested in matching to their cars' color.

As you may know, the white on some tires today is not painted, it is solid white encased in black rubber, and the manufacturing gets a bit pricey.

Of course, the idea did NOT fly.

Indeed, a chassis with just beams would be too flexible, i have made a heavily reinforced chassis with two layers on front and rear and then used the body (just as sheepo) as part of the chassis.

I put a 8466 body on the 8369 chassis once, i would love to see what you came up with, Do you have a picture of it? :)

Yeah, I made a post about it, there's even a short video.

I experimented with longer wheel base, but finished using standard base/chassis.

Btw. I'd love to see 8466 on 8369 chassis!

Here is my 8466 on green tyres :tongue:

16267416096_de8208dc5a_c.jpg

16292509282_e640345de1_c.jpg

The door mechanism is also working in this car, but it was a real pain in the megablocks to line everything up properly.

As you know the original 8466 chassis is studded and so the dimensions are even, the 8675 is all studless so all uneven :laugh:

Hope you like it

Wow, it looks really nice! I like how you arranged the working doors.

I'm looking forward to the Caterham. Is it much faster as your Mustang? Does it drift, or are those tires a bit sticky?

Fresko

Thanks!

The caterham is indeed a bit faster than the mustang, because it has the bigger tires. But the mustang accelerates a bit better.

It can drift on asphalt when the wheels are wet (acual drifting, not slipping)

The power goes straight to the wheels, in the motor unit there is a tip tronic gearbox that you can operate with the remote.

Yes it can, but only on slippery floor because it is heavy.

The caterham can do one or two burnouts on asphalt though. :p

The vids are already token, but i need to edit them.