Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2015 Pictures and Rumors

I myself would really like to see a continuation of the Space Police (3) theme. That was, and is, one of my favourite themes of all time.

The crazily awesome aliens, the great ship designs and wonderful figures and the originality for a LEGO theme were some of many things that made it fantastic for me,

and I was so disappointed when it ended nearly five years ago. (How time has flown!)

I'd lovearrow-10x10.png to see more of those alien figures and maybe even have Blacktron thrown in the mix as the main enemy of the Space Police.

Edited by General Magma

So just got a better look at the city set over in the town forum and the castle fig is just a 2013 castle fig nothing special, so it has me thinking is the spaceman for a future set. I guess that's unlikely too as we know what we are getting this year and its not space so... I don't know you would have thought if they put it in there just to sell more sets they would have a nice castle guy too?

That's an updated Futuron torso print. Belt loops, bigger zipper pull. Hmm.

LEGO World Copenhagen 2015

Edited by danth

^ For a non lenicened ideas set it has had a good run. If you wanted one you would have it by now.

I can't say that I'm thrilled, but the design/colors seem a bit off, so there might be some slim hope that it's a prototype. This is not as upsetting as a change to the classic astronaut would have been, but it's still disappointing. I'd love to hear the rationale behind the decision before judging too harshly.

I'd also like to point out, that from the height the helmet is relative to the torso, I'm questioning whether or not it's coming with a pair of airtanks.

It's probably that I'm just not seeing it right - after all, the photo angles have almost all been ones that more or less would be blocking the tanks from view, and after their releasing the tanks in green with the Exo-Suit, they almost certainly would want to get the most out of the color run...

I'd also like to point out, that from the height the helmet is relative to the torso, I'm questioning whether or not it's coming with a pair of airtanks.

It's probably that I'm just not seeing it right - after all, the photo angles have almost all been ones that more or less would be blocking the tanks from view, and after their releasing the tanks in green with the Exo-Suit, they almost certainly would want to get the most out of the color run...

I agree with every single thing you said.

Also worth noting for Space MOC'ers. While no trans yellow, pay close attention to some of the 2015 and 2016 non space sets. There are some really interesting trans colored parts coming back into rotation. Some nice red and neon green canopies. Some real nice neon green tail fins. Etc.

That's an updated Futuron torso print. Belt loops, bigger zipper pull. Hmm.

LEGO World Copenhagen 2015

Ugh, why the need to "update" this, I wonder?

I don't mind the update and It feels more fresh and in line with LEGO's current minifigs designs. I sincerely hope this will be a hint to a Futuron space theme in the future, although I doubt we will get one. Just dreaming.

I'm not crazy about the updated torso, I'm hoping its just a prototype/sticker.... but I really wouldn't complain if it was a hint at what we might get in a new space line (doubtful i know )

OK, this might be a crazy thought, but… If you look closely at the back in that flickr image ( https://www.flickr.c...ous/16528063742 ) the green Futuron guy even has back printing (continuing the belt/loops), and the front has a lot more subtle detail if you zoom in on it. I can see no reason why they'd have updated the Futuron print and gone to the extent to do back printing as well and have it totally not match the existing Futuron stuff… unless he's going to match with NEW Futuron stuff.

I mean, I think most folks would agree (for better or worse) that the original Futuron print is too simplistic to work with today's sets and minifigs (though I still think they're great and have a large set of them myself), but this update might be enough to make 'em work in a new line. How amazing would a neo-retro space line with updated Futuron minifigs be?? :blush:

Edited by deraven

OK, this might be a crazy thought, but… If you look closely at the back in that flickr image ( https://www.flickr.c...ous/16528063742 ) the green Futuron guy even has back printing (continuing the belt/loops), and the front has a lot more subtle detail if you zoom in on it. I can see no reason why they'd have updated the Futuron print and gone to the extent do do back printing as well and have it totally not match the existing Futuron stuff… unless he's going to match with NEW Futuron stuff.

I mean, I think most folks would agree (for better or worse) that the original Futuron print is too simplistic to work with todays sets and minifigs (though I still think they're great and have a large set of them myself), but this update might be enough to make 'em work in a new line. How amazing would a neo-retro space line with updated Futuron minifigs be?? :blush:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No way this could be true, you are crazy! That is AFOL wishful thinking gone way too far!

I hope it IS true.

I can see no reason why they'd have updated the Futuron print and gone to the extent to do back printing as well

I can, to sell more 180 sets . . . . . and for other city sets :wink:

I can, to sell more 180 sets . . . . . and for other city sets :wink:

:laugh: Yes, absolutely.

Seriously, though, I'd be in greater agreement with that if the print wasn't updated. Honestly, I'm with the other folks that say the updates ruin the print (when looked at as a stand-alone fig next to the existing Futuron design) and wouldn't buy just for it since the print doesn't match any of the older stuff. Also, whether my crazy super-long-shot of a theory pans out or not, it looks like the space logo on the updated Futuron suit isn't done in metallic gold but rather more of a standard yellowish color. Hope that's not the case in production, especially if we somehow get a whole lineup of them! :wink:

If they did go retro space would they not go classic as that's what we saw a lot of last year. I think they are sadly just reusing the airtank.

If they did go retro space would they not go classic as that's what we saw a lot of last year. I think they are sadly just reusing the airtank.

This is all just crazy ideas in my mind, of course, but no I don't think they would go with Classic for a full line. I think it worked really well for the D2C Ideas/Cuusoo Exo Suit because of the target audience (AFOLs who both like the build and also simply must have the new green classic space figs!!), and the only other example being Benny who was one specific character with one single (albeit large) set related to him.

I think the trend toward ever more interesting and detailed minifigs means that they must hold up in Lego's marketing data and won't be going away any time soon, so the classic space design which has no printing or detail whatsoever besides the CS logo wouldn't work for a general-release Space wave. Nor do I think, as much as I'd love it, that a classic space aesthetic for a full line would be something TLG would be willing to do since they need to capture sales from the greater market and not just AFOLs/parents who're feeling nostalgic. With an updated Futuron lineup (whatever it might be called), they could easily design space sets that still feel modern but with just some design hints that are a throwback to the older sets (like the updated minifig itself) which would appeal to their current target audience as well as still providing some excitement for us older folks (just look at this discussion based off the couple pics from this upcoming City set!). :classic:

TLG: If this is what you have planned, I'm more than happy to do some early set reviews for you from my obviously visionary perspective! :laugh:

This is all just crazy ideas in my mind, of course, but no I don't think they would go with Classic for a full line. I think it worked really well for the D2C Ideas/Cuusoo Exo Suit because of the target audience (AFOLs who both like the build and also simply must have the new green classic space figs!!), and the only other example being Benny who was one specific character with one single (albeit large) set related to him.

I think the trend toward ever more interesting and detailed minifigs means that they must hold up in Lego's marketing data and won't be going away any time soon, so the classic space design which has no printing or detail whatsoever besides the CS logo wouldn't work for a general-release Space wave. Nor do I think, as much as I'd love it, that a classic space aesthetic for a full line would be something TLG would be willing to do since they need to capture sales from the greater market and not just AFOLs/parents who're feeling nostalgic. With an updated Futuron lineup (whatever it might be called), they could easily design space sets that still feel modern but with just some design hints that are a throwback to the older sets (like the updated minifig itself) which would appeal to their current target audience as well as still providing some excitement for us older folks (just look at this discussion based off the couple pics from this upcoming City set!). :classic:

TLG: If this is what you have planned, I'm more than happy to do some early set reviews for you from my obviously visionary perspective! :laugh:

I tend to agree with this. And with the second Lego movie due out in a year or two, maybe this is a hint that Futuron will play a larger part. I too would love to see the return to the classic lines but I would be happy with an updated version with lots of classic parts.

Edited by adventurer1

OK, this might be a crazy thought, but… If you look closely at the back in that flickr image ( https://www.flickr.c...ous/16528063742 ) the green Futuron guy even has back printing (continuing the belt/loops), and the front has a lot more subtle detail if you zoom in on it. I can see no reason why they'd have updated the Futuron print and gone to the extent to do back printing as well and have it totally not match the existing Futuron stuff… unless he's going to match with NEW Futuron stuff.

I mean, I think most folks would agree (for better or worse) that the original Futuron print is too simplistic to work with today's sets and minifigs (though I still think they're great and have a large set of them myself), but this update might be enough to make 'em work in a new line. How amazing would a neo-retro space line with updated Futuron minifigs be?? :blush:

I'd be down for that.

Don't really want to get my hopes up, though. :)

It does seem odd they'd go to so much effort for a figure that's basically just a dummy in a window. It'd be a waste of budget to deco the back of the figure when basically no one was expecting them to do that.

That said I am skeptical of a Futuron revival. I think they'd go full-on Classic Space ala the Exosuit.

If it is a one-off it's a terribly mean tease. Especially since it won't match the other Futuron minifigs.