Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2015 Pictures and Rumors

That's just made-up-canon to get kids familiar with a franchise or a character from a retired theme to get hooked into a new theme. Ignore it. Like the "Galaxy Squad is a continuation of Monster Fighters" garbage. No it is not, it is just a new (at the time) space theme.

Ultra Agents is sci-fi, but not in a Eurobricks sense. (Same with all those under water themes.) They go in the action & adventure forum.

That's just made-up-canon to get kids familiar with a franchise or a character from a retired theme to get hooked into a new theme. Ignore it.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but most canons are made up. :tongue:

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but most canons are made up. :tongue:

I know that. When I say "made-up-canon" I mean some marketing story that is likely only given to a certain market (eg a US TV ad that never airs anywhere else) and is unnecessary to the story, but for some reason some people decide to make it "canon" because "TLG said" (marketing said). No one that's bought UA sets really cares whether one of the minifigs has also been a GS minifig. As opposed to canon maintaining a self-contained universe/lore that is specifically about stories. (ie the "facts" matter)

Doesn't matter then, but my point still stands. UA is likely taking up the Space slot in production, and we will probably not see a proper Space theme until it ends.

Doesn't matter then, but my point still stands. UA is likely taking up the Space slot in production, and we will probably not see a proper Space theme until it ends.

UA final wave will be in summer

Space theme probably returns in 2-3 yrs intervals

UA final wave will be in summer

Space theme probably returns in 2-3 yrs intervals

Huh? As I understand you, you are saying that space returns in every 2-3 years?

So far, this is what I have seen:

Relatively constant 1978-2001, then a big gap.

2007, Mars Mission, first wave.

2008, Mars Mission, second wave.

2009, Space Police 3, first wave.

2010, Space Police 3, second wave.

2011, Alien Conquest, one wave.

2012, Gap. City Space used as stand in.

2013, Galaxy Squad, two waves in one year.

Start of 2014 to the end of 2015, gap.

2016-2017, possible new Space sub-theme...

Unless you were saying that a 2-3 year gap is likely until the next space sub-theme, the evidence does not support your statement.

If you are saying that Lego might be cycling Space sub-themes in and out in 2-3 year intervals from now on, that is possible, but the past patterns do not support it.

No one that's bought UA sets really cares whether one of the minifigs has also been a GS minifig.

I do. Not even being sarcastic.

Spoiler Alert: newbie rant below...

Galaxy Squad did it for me. It was the first Space theme released since I came out of the Dark Ages. I collect Space almost exclusively, have many sets from Classic up, and Galaxy Squad is one of the 3 themes I felt is was necessary to have the full set list of. I don't think they had one bad set, though the Star Slicer is my least favorite.

I like the idea that the Squad is the military force sent out, and Astro City and it's inhabitants are their origin. The tech and styling are compatible, and, honestly, it just makes me care about both themes a little more. I feel like it gives depth and continuity... solidifying the cornerstone of that universe branch.

Canon or not, different themes or the same, I'm rolling with it.

My biggest complaint about both themes, and of Space in a general way, is there are few land bases or real environments. That hurt my perception of Galaxy Squad the most... the vehicles are cool, but the look a little awkward out there by themselves. We need a little old-school... cheese slopes are cool, but trans-domes are epic.

Fair enough.

My biggest complaint about both themes, and of Space in a general way, is there are few land bases or real environments. That hurt my perception of Galaxy Squad the most... the vehicles are cool, but the look a little awkward out there by themselves. We need a little old-school... cheese slopes are cool, but trans-domes are epic.

More space bases would be good, the last one was in 2010, and it looked a bit City-ish. The domes were great, but just like raised baseplates, they're probably not coming back. (Too big & expensive)

The domes were great, but just like raised baseplates, they're probably not coming back. (Too big & expensive)

True enough! Unfortunately I can't see TLG producing/shipping any of those larger elements anytime soon... if anything the packaging for sets seems to be getting smaller and I'd imagine the costs to package and ship parts that size put them out of the question :(

My fingers are still crossed we could still see a new version of the crater plate released, it wouldn't be that big to package/ship.

All the quite large parts in the new space shuttle are counter to that argument though, in terms of domes. I agree that base plates seem unlikely though.

All the quite large parts in the new space shuttle are counter to that argument though, in terms of domes. I agree that base plates seem unlikely though.

That is a good point. In terms of the larger single pieces now be used to juniorize sets and the package and shipping of those sets, they could easily produce new or reissued dome pieces. It wouldn't be that much different.

Good points! I was thinking of pieces like the old 10x10x12 quarter domes:

2409.jpg

And some of the baseplates like this:

2552px2.jpg

These are the things we will likely not see again :hmpf_bad:

These are the things we will likely not see again :hmpf_bad:

Probably not.

But then again, who knows what will happen in a generation or two? At one point, no one expected we'd have LEGO Star Wars, and at another, no one expected we'd have LEGO LotR - both things that fans had wanted, that seemed highly unlikely. Maybe in a few years, there'll be enough AFOLs working at LEGO to convince the people in suits that parts like that are worth the production cost. Heck - maybe even the suits themselves will be AFOLs, and won't need convincing.

It never hurts to hope.

snip

where did you get the hair piece with ears? LOTR? Very fitting, Nimoy looks like how he appeared in the new J.J star trek films(Minus uniform in movie).

A good tribute.

RIP Leonard Nimoy. :cry_sad:

It is a LDD render, with a custom print added to the program it looks like. The hairpiece is a recolor of the CMF Elf hair.

I would love them to bring back Alien Conquest. I really did enjoy that theme. :grin:

Alien Conquest was cool. I never got any, but was tempted - honestly, if I had a City collection I would have been more likely to get it. It's almost more of a City theme... ;)

^ That was the great thing about it, it was a crosover theme.

I should have got a second wave, would love to see it come back.

Yeah, I kind of regret not getting more of the Alien Conquest sets (I only picked up the Mothership). Who knows though, it may be revived in a couple of years.

I kind of regret not getting that three-legged walker thing, or maybe a few. :)

^ That was the great thing about it, it was a crosover theme.

I should have got a second wave, would love to see it come back.

Here's an idea for a "crossover theme" - City Spaceport, but with Classic Space-style ships and astronauts. Come on, Lego, make it happen! :cry_happy:

I happily already have one for a long time now...so quickly, guys - on a side note I need to say that the set looks nice to the eyes, BUT is quite pain-in-the-@#$ to build it, not mentioning actually playing it: pieces do not stick tightly as the build is really designed quite poorly from the point of view (they probably looked more to design than to "sturdiness" of the build), it's "shaky" right in the concept (many small and tiny parts holding just by one connection etc) :wink::grin: anyway having 2 green CS minifigs is awesome! :devil::sweet:

I do. Not even being sarcastic.

Spoiler Alert: newbie rant below...

Galaxy Squad did it for me. It was the first Space theme released since I came out of the Dark Ages. I collect Space almost exclusively, have many sets from Classic up, and Galaxy Squad is one of the 3 themes I felt is was necessary to have the full set list of. I don't think they had one bad set, though the Star Slicer is my least favorite.

I like the idea that the Squad is the military force sent out, and Astro City and it's inhabitants are their origin. The tech and styling are compatible, and, honestly, it just makes me care about both themes a little more. I feel like it gives depth and continuity... solidifying the cornerstone of that universe branch.

Canon or not, different themes or the same, I'm rolling with it.

Exactly! For some reason they completely abandon space bases (centrals, HQ...call it anyway you like), Space Squad having some interest design concepts but the need for a big space central is quite high I guess...still hope they rerelease one of CS flagship brick that was the crater baseplate...ahhhh

I happily already have one for a long time now...so quickly, guys - on a side note I need to say that the set looks nice to the eyes, BUT is quite pain-in-the-@#$ to build it, not mentioning actually playing it: pieces do not stick tightly as the build is really designed quite poorly from the point of view (they probably looked more to design than to "sturdiness" of the build), it's "shaky" right in the concept (many small and tiny parts holding just by one connection etc) :wink::grin: anyway having 2 green CS minifigs is awesome! :devil::sweet:

You are right that it is not as sturdy as other Lego sets, but this one is definitely aimed at AFOLs who are less likely to be "playing" with it. But I believe it is more sturdy than the original Ideas project, which was even more designed for looks rather than sturdiness.