I was looking at that thread about compact PF solutions, and I thought about posting this MOC.

hh1000_141019b.png

The Alco HH series is a line of very early diesel-electric switchers (made in 'Murrika of course) produced between 1931 and 1940 after which it was succeeded by the much more well-know S series. The HH1000 was the 1000HP variant of the HH series of which 34 were produced between 1939 and 1940.

m20.jpg

Because other companies' color schemes were more difficult to implement, my HH1000 carries that of Union Pacific. UP owned exactly one HH1000, numbered 1251, which it acquired from the Mount Hood Railway in the late 60s. It was probably retired not long after.

hh1000_150111a.png

d1.jpg

The most difficult part of the prototype to implement in Lego was by far the cab. Ideally the columns at the corners of the cab would be something like 2LU x 2LU, but that is pretty much impossible in Lego. After much fiddling I was able to get 2LU gaps in the back, but the cab is too long by about a stud to accomodate 5LU columns from the side.

hh1000_141020a.png

You'll notice the PF receiver sticking out of the center window. To me the main feature of this loco is that it is the perfect shape to cram two M motors, the AA battery box, and the reciever into a body 30 studs long. The receiver is actually just floating because that's the only orientation that works.

hh1000_141019c.png

The tractive effort is a little less than what I was able to get out of the RF-16, a combination I think of less weight and shorter bogies, but for practical purposes it'll basically pull anything reasonable - just slowly. As far as I can tell having a gear ratio other than 1:1 is more or less impossible here.

cam06302.jpg

This model has been about 85% complete for the past month or two, mainly for testing, but I'm about to BL the remaining parts, so it should get done soon!

Edited by Commander Wolf

Oh this is so nice :wub: . Would you consider sharing the LDD file? I'd like to make a modified version of this for a New Zealand locomotive.

Wow, nice you got all the PF in such a small engine.

I didn't realize dark gray/blay saber blades were so expensive; so spoiled by LDD now.

perhaps you can replace the front and back with flex tube cut to length, you can even bend it to fit the shape it requires.

Can do: the LXF doesn't have gears in it because it's a pain to turn and mesh them in LDD, but it should be easy to figure out where they go. Otherwise this should be pretty close to what I'm actually building.

Thanks so much for that. I really appreciate it :classic:

perhaps you can replace the front and back with flex tube cut to length, you can even bend it to fit the shape it requires.

Ha, I would actually prefer flex in general, but that's as far as I can tell, that's even harder to get, and I loathe cutting the stuff. jtlan has some 3rd party tubing that's pretty good, but it's black, and I'm not that inclined to paint the stuff either.

Thanks so much for that. I really appreciate it :classic:

Do post if you actually make something. Good luck!

Edited by Commander Wolf

That looks perfect. I always loved those little Alco HH's. I custom built an N scale NYC HH600 back in the day. Yours looks amazing. I never would have imagined you could pull one off in Lego.

That is a fantastic build of a neat little engine. You scored a double play with this one- got so much of the details and crammed so much of the PF in without it being noticeable. Very impressive!

That is a fantastic build of a neat little engine. You scored a double play with this one- got so much of the details and crammed so much of the PF in without it being noticeable. Very impressive!

+1.

Great job !

Edited by Selander

Thanks for the thoughts all, hopefully the rest of my parts will be here soon enough and I can take some pics/video. It's too bad my LUG won't have another big show for some months!

Just wanted to post some final pics of this loco... it took a while to get this done because (as usual) some bricklink seller couldn't fulfill something in an order:

98.jpg

A lot of people don't seem to like mixing the old and new grays, but I think it gives models like this some texture.

img_0582.jpg

My biggest annoyance is that the wheels are black instead of the supposed silver/gunmetal color, but it didn't really register until after it was done -_-

img_0583.jpg

That fan cover should also be dark grey, but I don't think they make it anything close.

img_0588.jpg

I hate the form factor of the PF receiver more and more. The wires are also hard to deal with, but at least they tend to keep their shape once you've squashed them into position

img_0589.jpg

And of course, a full gallery but all the pics are pretty much here. As usual, I wish I had video, but it's not really that exciting to watch.

Great to see it finished. It came out really well.

I can't believe that you crammed in the larger battery box...!!(?) . Any reason for that choice, except it should bring more juice....?

That is a beautiful model, Commander Wolf. I love every bit of it. Too bad it's a switcher that is able to have all that PF guts stuffed into it. :laugh:

Edited by LoneBrickerSG

Great to see it finished. It came out really well.

I can't believe that you crammed in the larger battery box...!!(?) . Any reason for that choice, except it should bring more juice....?

There's no one specific reason I chose to use the big box... contributing factors range from "more weight (and therefore more traction)" to "I don't own a rechargeable box" to "because I can".

At the very least I'm always reluctant to use the small AAA box due to its low energy capacity and due to my not owning rechargeable AAA batteries, though possibly in a much smaller loco I'd consider.

That is a beautiful model, Commander Wolf. I love every bit of it. Too bad it's a switcher that is able to have all that PF guts stuffed into it. :laugh:

My next model is pretty much the opposite of this. Stay tuned.

Obviously there is a lot going on inside that model, but there is also a lot of fine detail on the outside of the model that would be impressive had the inside been filled with bricks rather than PF. Great work.

My biggest annoyance is that the wheels are black instead of the supposed silver/gunmetal color, but it didn't really register until after it was done -_-

My guess is that the wheels would have been unpainted on a switcher like this. So the running surface would be shiny silver and the rest rust brown. But in any event, I would have never noticed any problems with the wheels had you not said anything.

I want to bump up this topic again to show you my personal version of this fantastic locomotive made by Commander Wolf :wub:

I have applied the adhesives and equipped the locomotive with lights :classic: ...and yes I have used the drill several times for this MOC! :grin:

up1250-001.jpg

up1250-002.jpg

up1250-003.jpg

up1250-004.jpg

up1250-005.jpg

up1250-006.jpg

up1250-007.jpg

up1250-008.jpg

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

I also got an empty file. I think I will build this with the new powered-up system - no IR receiver to spoil the cab. I should get a nameplate printed too - "Commander Wolf" is the name I have in mind.