Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Book II Ch III Cat B: Infiltrating through the Necropolis

Infiltrating through the Necropolis

A company of dwarves are infiltrating the drow tunnels through the catacombs of a vast dwarven necropolis, deep below ground in southern Mitgardia. That the necropolis is nowadays connected to tunnels of more evil origin is sadly all too apparent, since drow or orcish plunderers have recently sneaked in and broken up all the cover stones of the graves to plunder the riches of the entombed dwarves. To someone like these dwarven warriors who are venerating their ancestors, this is an atrocity that cannot be forgiven and strengthens their resolve to defeat the Drow.

16072308769_be9b0bc05e_c.jpg

16258439245_c5fe1a61a8_c.jpg

Please give me feedback on the photography and editing, I've been playing with my new camera and trying to learn Lightroom and might very well have overstretched a slider or three when developing the pictures :wink:

(Credit to Teabox for inspiring the design of the alcoves)

A little bit creepy and a whole lot of awesome!

The only comment I've got about the pictures in general is that the first one in your post is almost too perfect. Looks like a 3D render. :wink:

The only comment I've got about the pictures in general is that the first one in your post is almost too perfect. Looks like a 3D render. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, I think it might be because I applied too much noise reduction to the picture (it was rescued from a very dark picture which I had to brighten up a bit, which also of course brightened up the noise that then felt like it had to be supressed when I was pixel peeping...)

The lighting is my first attempt at shooting with the flash disconnected from my camera. I've borrowed a slave-capable flash now (and will buy one for myself soon). The light includes a tiny bit of light from the built in flash aimed straight at the build as well because it was needed to trigger the slave flash, but it was turned down to 1/100 so I think it should hardly be visible except maybe for some extra glare in the helmets.

Edited by Gideon

Awesome build! Love the sand green and dark bley color scheme! Really makes me wish I had dark bley masonry bricks, and any sand green.

The photography is great! I thought the first shot was digital too. What photo editing program do you use? Just wondering. :classic:

Awesome as always, the athmosphere you created here is totally fitting and I really like your dwarves!

Oh wow! :wub: This moc is pretty awesome! Love the wedges up top, it creates the illusion of underground rocks.

Thanks! :classic:

Love the sand green and dark bley color scheme! Really makes me wish I had dark bley masonry bricks, and any sand green.

The photography is great! I thought the first shot was digital too. What photo editing program do you use? Just wondering. :classic:

Looking forward to getting some of the new masonry bricks in sand green then? :wink:

I'm using Lightroom for developing my RAW files and basic corrections (which is the only thing I've done here). For editing like removing backgrounds I use GIMP, but I intend to switch to Photoshop Elements soon because GIMP is not very user-friendly in my experience (or precisely because of my limited experience? It's an extremely powerful tool but a bit too powerful for my casual use I suppose...)

Awesome entry Gideon I agree with others lovely atmosphere created.. And excellent photography with your new "toy" Have fun with it :)

Another spectacular build, Gideon, great idea with having the dwarfs march through the catacombs! Excellent photography again as well, the slight glare on the dwarfs' helmets adds to the scene, IMHO. My only nitpick would be that the dark gray cheese on top look a bit odd, it is hard to tell whether it is supposed to be the ground above the catacombs or something else. A very minor detail though, as it doesn't at all detract from the build :classic:

Thanks!

...the dark gray cheese on top look a bit odd, it is hard to tell whether it is supposed to be the ground above the catacombs or something else. A very minor detail though, as it doesn't at all detract from the build :classic:

The jagged top of the builds is supposed to mean "rock continues here" but I realized too late that I should have done the same kind of surface also on the sides...

Fantastic build with a lovely dark feel to it. The sand green highlights and the cut-out view of the tunnel are great touches, as is that off-kilter coffin lid. The photography looks as stunning as ever to me, as smooth as butter! I've never thought of using flash to help light my builds. I tend to go with an awkward array of umbrellas and other bounced light, but this definitely gives me something to think about!

Fantastic build with a lovely dark feel to it. The sand green highlights and the cut-out view of the tunnel are great touches, as is that off-kilter coffin lid. The photography looks as stunning as ever to me, as smooth as butter! I've never thought of using flash to help light my builds. I tend to go with an awkward array of umbrellas and other bounced light, but this definitely gives me something to think about!

Thanks! It is bounced flash that I'm using, and my next step will actually be to get me a couple of umbrellas to be able to give me more freedom to control the light :wink:

Edited by Gideon

This is really lovely Gideon, the sand green highlights throughout the build are spot on! The colors really work well together, I look forward to seeing more people use those color combos in future builds :) The lighting is excellent, I think it makes the build look crystal clear and beautiful, but not so glossy and clear that it looks like a render. Once again, great job!

Excellent build, Gideon!

The photography here is excellent! The photos are a bit dark and shadowy, which is perfectly fitting for this build. Hopefully that does not also happen on builds not meant to be dark and shadowy.

The rocks and tombs are well done, especially with the jagged top, the mottled sand-green moss, and the unkept feeling created by the tilted and falling skeletons and coffin lids!

So good. I think your attention to photography really pays off, Gideon. Each of your builds is a lesson in framing, point of view, and overall quality and clarity. I really like the sand green in here. These are some of your best smaller builds, I think.

The concept here is really neat, and I like the dreary catacomb feel. Your photography is if not quite just about perfect, as others have said it almost looks like a render! With Garmadon, I'll admit that I was a bit confused about the jagged rock on top; it kind of struck me as hardened lava fields but that was admittedly a bit incongruous!

Looking good Gideon! I really enjoy the rock work and the colors that you've incorporated here. The interior of the build looks a bit dark to me....of course it's underground, so no surprise there! Maybe the umbrellas will help fill in some of the shaded areas when you use them?

The dark bley and sand green work beautifully together :thumbup: I like how the bright silver/gold armor of the dwarves contrasts with the dull colors of the necropolis :classic:

Awesome!

Great idea and build! :thumbup:

It's very climatic as well.

I like that the lead dwarf is wearing gold elements, it's bring some needed color difference into Your creation, otherwise it would be extremely grayish :wink: