Sign in to follow this  
CoNSpiracy

The backside of Lego Winter Village (...houses!)

So with the Christmas days of 2014 fading away all too soon and the missus forcing me to store away my beloved Lego Winter Village display, I have already started dreaming of next December!

My wife doesn't know yet but I am secretly planning to expand the display and make it cover an area twice as large as it was last year! This, however, would require moving it to a different place in the house, where the display would be visible from all angles, i.e. no wall at the back. Since I have added LifeLites lighting to all the WV houses, this would be problematic as the wires and the print boards with the LEDs are visible from the back.

Does any of you have experience with modding the houses from the official WV sets to add walls and roof at the backsides?

Edited by CoNSpiracy

What I did would be a very expensive option now. I bought several of the Toy shop, Bakery and Post Office back when they were available set list price, with the intent of making fully enclosed buildings. So far I have assembled 2 of the 10199 Toy Shop back to back. Using only one fireplace and chimney. But from the sides it looks like a mirror image. It does look good from all angles though and looks just like a fully enclosed Toy Shop.

I am thinking when I get back to it I want to make the roof removable for interior access.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Like CoNSpiracy my head is spinning with possible expansion ideas for next year. I put some of my buildings on 4x4 turntables this year to be able to show the interiors. The Toy Store and Bakery looked great. The Cottage was wobbly. It required quite a bit of space and work to landscape around the ones that turned. Turntables did not work with the train station or my Hobbit House built into the mountain. I, too, want a better look from all directions next year, and a way to show off interiors.

No one ever really played with mine, except to run the train, before this year. This year I had grandchildren and other young visitors get pretty imaginative. I expect kids' desire for fun to increase in future years so "swooshability" is becoming more important. Maybe a lower playable level and a higher level for show. Has anyone tried that? Or an outer reachable and inner unreachable? or would I just create smashing climbers?

Yeah, I was hoping that someone out there had already been trying to mod the WV houses for this purpose, and perhaps were willing to share a few photos :sweet:

Any ideas and thoughts on the subject are welcome!

The most problematic of the houses seems to be the bakery, because of the way the roof is made in the original set. I would really appreciate any input there.

Here is what I have so far, this is still a WIP, but it should give you an idea about how I combined 2 WV Top Shops to make one enclosed Toy Shop.

Head On Front

16295012755_33c31e1bf4_c.jpg

Untitled by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Right Front

15672600114_1ef1892a6a_c.jpg

Left Front

16108874269_f13a1b48ed_c.jpg

RIght Back

15672599174_fc356f55d8_c.jpg

Left Back

16294163012_12231aa76a_c.jpg

The main area where I had to use parts other than the WV Toy Shop sets way the white plates for the roof and floor.

I think this worked out fairly well, but I still need to revisit it to make it more of what I want from the MOD.

I plan to do something similar with the Bakery When it moves to the front of the queue, but I have other LEGO priorities right now.

I hope this helps.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Thanks, Andy. I guess the same technique could quite easily be applied for the WV post office, but I think it would be harder with the bakery because of the way the roof is made.

In any case, I won't be modding the houses the same way as you, as I did not think ahead like you did and bought two copies of each WV set...

Edited by CoNSpiracy

Actually I bought 3 copies each of the first 3 WV sets, I was (still am) very disappointed in the cottage, I only got 1 copy and I am looking to disassemble it to make it what I feel it should have been. I bought 2 copies of the WV Marketplace, but it really doesn't fit for me, so I plan to get rid of 1. I got 2 of Santa's house and I may get a third if they are still available next year.

Most of the parts in the a Toy a Shop are fairly common, so I believe you can get a good many of them from B'Link. As for mods, I believe you can use some of the ideas of my 2 set to mod to make a fully enclosed Toy Shop, it just may not look like the mirror effect of using 2 sets.

For the Bakery roof I believe I can just experiment and make it look good.

When I do the Post Office I may re-imagine it into a different business. One Post Office may be one too many for me.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Very cool Andy!

Thanks.

It is still a WIP though, it needs work on the outside, and it may make the roof removable.

Andy D