jamesster

LEGO Portal Racers

This seems to have gone mostly under the radar... I don't see any proper press releases, just brief mentions in a couple of recent articles.

http://events.newegg...ake-you-a-star/

When the Real Sense camera is on an Intel-powered laptop, the applications reach a new level. Built into the inside bevel of the display, the RealSense camera functions as a close-range Kinect, tracking the motion of a user’s face and hands and allowing for some truly fascinating applications. At the demo table Intel showed off Lego Portal Racers, a racing game you steer by leaning your head left and right.

The game bore a strong resemblance to Audiosurf, and the potential for a music-based racing game you control by leaning, nodding, and moving your hands in front of the screen is something that is just waiting for the right developer (and wider adoption of Real Sense cameras) to become a reality.

http://www.mediamark...-realsense.html

LEGO® PORTAL RACERS

Dit is een nieuwe pc app game die op bewegingen reageert. Race over spannende circuits met een hoverboard die u bestuurt door met het hoofd en de handen te bewegen. Vlieg door portals om nieuwe werelden te ontdekken, en upgrade een voertuig in de module pit! Verkrijgbaar als download in februari 2015 op pc-systemen met de Intel® RealSense™ 3D camera. LEGO en het LEGO logo zijn handelsmerken van de LEGO Group. ©2014 De LEGO Group.

Ran through Google Translate it reads:

LEGO RACERS PORTAL

This is a new PC game app that responds to movements. Race spanning circuits with a hoverboard that you control by moving the head and the hands. Fly through portals to discover new worlds, and upgrade a vehicle in the kernel module! Available for download in February 2015 on PC systems with Intel® Real Sense ™ 3D camera. LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2014 The LEGO Group.

http://www.fastcompa...licks-it-clicks

In February, the Future Lab will be bringing out a second product: Portal Racers, a free, entirely digital game with a hovercraft theme, designed to work with a new 3-D laptop camera from Intel called RealSense (which the processor giant has just started to roll out on new computers). The camera, which can track users’ body movements, allows for new Kinect-like ways of interacting with a computer, which the game harnesses. The original idea was to have kids build their own hovercrafts out of bricks and scan them into the game, Fusion-style, but unless Portal Racers somehow becomes a huge success, Gram says it will remain a digital-only experience. And while it certainly looks fun in the video they have of kids testing it, it will be a much more modest launch than Fusion. It seems to be as much about Future Lab getting to understand a new technology as about creating an awesome game for kids.

Edited by jamesster

If this ends up anything like Lego Racers... :cry_happy:

I'm going to hold off until we see better footage of the game before I make any solid opinions. It looks really promising!

If this ends up anything like Lego Racers... :cry_happy:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure it wont. As the author says, this game looks a lot like Audiosurf which is a pretty lame game when compared to Lego Racers. All you do is go down a linear track and switch lanes to avoid obstacles. And since you have to use your head to steer in this one, I bet it will get quite painful for your neck after a while. Honestly, Lego Fusion Create & Race seems a lot closer to Lego Racers than this.

I'm not surprised that this went under our radar since it seems to be exclusive to devices with this new technology, so most of us wont be able to play it anyway.

What theme is that even supposed to be in that screenshot? Doesn't look like anything that's currently out. :look:

Personally, I'm more interested in that Lemmings-type game. I love me some Lemmings!

Name's probably going to get changed before it gets too publicized. If it's just another clone game (aka, what every LEGO game is now) I'm probably not going to pick it up.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure it wont. As the author says, this game looks a lot like Audiosurf which is a pretty lame game when compared to Lego Racers. All you do is go down a linear track and switch lanes to avoid obstacles. And since you have to use your head to steer in this one, I bet it will get quite painful for your neck after a while. Honestly, Lego Fusion Create & Race seems a lot closer to Lego Racers than this.

I meant from more of a perspective of having a hodge-podge of themes together all in one game. That was a real highlight for me in the original Lego Racers games.

Now that you write it out in detail like that, I can see where this game could go wrong...hmmm.

I'll still hope for the best. I'll keep tabs, and wait for more details.

Sounds interesting... Really hoping it's like Lego Racers though, despite the fact that AudioSurf is very different... If it incorporates Leap Motion somehow I will be very happy.

I like the minifigures from this game especially the girl with a pink hair and those two green skinned characters with the purple hair.

The robot next to the green skinned mohawk guy reminds me of Battlestar Galactica Cylon.

It appears to be free to download, but you need a "Intel® RealSense™ 3D camera" to do so.

Here's the page: http://service.lego....s/portal-racers

And here are the pictures:

Some of the main cast(Note, not all - there are 8 characters total!):

lego-portal-racers-characters-600x240.jpg

And a bigger shot that shows one of the racers:

lego-portal-racers-600x470.jpg

Some pictures from Intel's site:

ModShop_3.png?itok=1UxpwvYx

Alien_3.png?itok=6n02Tfmx

PlayerHome_2.png?itok=GGX0vb_6

Earth_Boost_0.png?itok=L-ujfk03

And here is Rock Raiders United page on it, which has a pile of information.

So - does anyone have a "Intel® RealSense™ 3D camera"? Can anyone give us some gameplay footage?

lego-portal-racers-characters-600x240.jpg

I'd like to get my hands on some of those torso's, look very good to be incorporated into scifi builds. :grin:

The game on the other hand; too bad it works with that cam... Isn't there a gamepad/keys option?

I'd like to get my hands on some of those torso's, look very good to be incorporated into scifi builds. :grin:

The game on the other hand; too bad it works with that cam... Isn't there a gamepad/keys option?

Nope - it only works with the camera.

Lego should have really stopped with Fusion. They are terrible with app games, and they need to stop trying to get into this market.

Gimmick, after gimmick, after gimmick. When will they realize that making app games for niche computer specs doesn't help either.

Such a shame too, it would have been cooler if it was some sort of small online game.