Srbandrews

Most efficient/creative use of PF components in small locos.

Hi all,

Apologies if something like this has been done already, but I couldn't find anything quite like it. I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to share ideas about the best ways of squeezing Power Functions into small spaces. I occasionaly come across images where I think 'oh, that's a good way of fitting that in' but usually I've stumbled across it by chance and the reference is never there when I need it. So if you have any images of your own MOCs, or somebody elses (try to give credit of course), share them here.

As a start, I found this video by a youtube user names Zanthera quite useful in the past, but tenders can make things a lot easier for steam loco builders:

Anyone know of any really clever tank engines or small shunters?

Edited by Srbandrews

Have you done a look through the Train forum master index topic -> http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=28418

There are indexes of MOCs with pics, PF functions, etc. in there.

With the colors used, you want to puke by the time you get done going thru the help indexes here.

A search function by forum would help out a ton, not to mention be a much more modern board.

Yes, I don't understand why a search function and indexing don't have higher priority? Rather more important than fancy banners matching the season :hmpf_bad:

I power my Emerald Nights via the tender. One is a modified 9V tender that accomodates 2x 9V motors, the other is a PF train motor on the tender. I'd say it's the only way to go, the original powering of the Emerald Night was dreadful... all that torque loss from the gears...

I like the idea of hiding the PF receiver in coal. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but it seems more clever now that I think about it.

For me I think the trick to getting good PF equipment density is to find a model that fits the shape of the PF stuff well - for example such that you can line up a vertical M motor and a battery box and another vertical M motor without having a bunch of used volume in between or around.

Some really great uses of space here. Chromeknight, some of those shunters are fantastic. That 'Tiny PF Shunter' is very cleverly done. I really like this one I found on youtube too:

I suppose it's to be expected that diesels are less complicated than steam. I love Class 08s and would like to add one to my collection at some stage, but I think I'd like to do a self-contained steam shunter first.

Here is one concept I've been working on, based on a Manning-Wardle style saddle tank:

qBKkyjI.png

sOToHRg.jpg

It's really not easy squeezing everything in and preserving some kind of shape. Just focusing on shape and size and not detail at the moment.

I run a 7597 with PF, only I use the batterybox from the monorails (you know, the ones that actually take a 9v battery). they are much smaller than the PF batteryboxes, I think 7597 looks more natural this way than the other PF mods ive seen (with their huge tenders :sceptic:).

DSCF0001_zpsdd0a56bc.jpg

Hi,

This is why I build Lego

The challenge to create something that looks real, but also is functioning well. The limitations of the bricks and space foster creativity.

As you can see on my Flickr, my MOC of this Norwegian diesel shunter is containing 2 M motors, one 9V battery and the PF receiver ++, and all this is placed within 4 studs. It is possible, albeit difficult.

MOC:

Diesel shunter Skd 226 MOC

Based on real life train:

Diesel shunter Skd 226 real

"exploded" view of the trains components:

Diesel shunter Skd 226 "exploded" to show M motor placement and battery (yes, must be disassembled to change battery:-(  )

and finally showing the decoupler mechanism and PF receiver placement:

Diesel shunter Skd 226 to show decoupler mechanism as well as PF receiver placement

Happy building!

Very impressive. Great loco and I especially like the IR receiver placement.

While I did make a separate thread for it, I did eventually make my steam shunter and never updated this topic, but since it's been resurrected:

OK9A9gil.jpg

Not very ingenious, but it did surpass my fairly modest expectations.

I made a 4-4-0 American steam locomotive that is completely Power Functions powered. It features a PF Train Motor powering the driving wheels. I understand that this setup will not haul lots of train cars at any great speed, but it is not intended to. This locomotive would look great pulling three smaller passenger and/or freight cars.

15381686673_2c55614f71_z.jpg

16001303645_2c3a9b05d0_z.jpg

I made a 4-4-0 American steam locomotive that is completely Power Functions powered. It features a PF Train Motor powering the driving wheels. I understand that this setup will not haul lots of train cars at any great speed, but it is not intended to. This locomotive would look great pulling three smaller passenger and/or freight cars.

Not sure if parts are available in those colors, but that is one fantastic looking locomotive!

This list would not be complete without Josh Sanders 0-6-0 Saddle Tanker that has the Power Functions completely self contained.

RB 2014 Design Contest - Complete Entry

RB 2014 Design Contest - Steam & Passenger - Fall Foliage Special

For me this is still one of the high water marks for PF use despite being quite early.

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/151611

No obvious compromises on the design of the engine, but fits is all the PF gear in a small 0-6-0.

Yup, Holgers BR080 is brilliant! On my todo-list... He's got pictures on Flickr too and is working on instructions:

16582459425_e0029ef874.jpg

BR 80 PowerFunctions cable loom by holgermatthes, on Flickr

This is my mini shunter:

5121310403_533d674fcd.jpg

KoF front by Duq, on Flickr

Full PF but using the old 9V battery box in red. It works but doesn't have a lot of power and doesn't last very long on a single battery. It's using this trick to save space:

8078349348_8f800e33d6.jpg

PF with old 9V by Duq, on Flickr

I just didn't have anywhere to stack 2 PF connectors on top of eachother...

Not sure if parts are available in those colors, but that is one fantastic looking locomotive!

I think the windows and pistons are not available in those colors, but a more dressed down and not as flashy version would be completely possible. The base colors of the dressed down version are grays and black with red and gold accents. Thank you for the compliment, though. It was my entry into the 2014 Railbricks contest, but it did not win anything even though it got lots of positive reviews.

It does look very nice.

Not sure if the pistons wouldn't seize, since they're only attached by a single technic pin and can rotate out of alignment.

It does look very nice.

Not sure if the pistons wouldn't seize, since they're only attached by a single technic pin and can rotate out of alignment.

The pins that come out of the pistons are fixed whereas the small connectors "float" over them.