Sign in to follow this  
Wineyard

Student Nation

Student Nations are regional student associations at a university. A similar phenomena, outside northen Europe, are the fraternities at American universities, but it's imperfect comparison. The nation system was once a widespread concept in Europe, but now they only exist by some degree in Sweden and Finland.

This building is inspired by Norrland Nation in Uppsala, where I am quite involved. I tried to recreate a scene from the early 1900s. The scene captures a typical day of student life with alcohol, love, an infamous horse incident, fencing and so on.

It was the winning entry for Swebrick's contest "Staden vi byggde" (The City We Built)

16195521472_f9f7cd80e3_z.jpg

16008999310_f23d1485b7_z.jpg

15576524313_abbb74770f_z.jpg

16194461621_f885dab0dc_z.jpg

Comments and criticism are highly welcomed :)

Edited by Wineyard

Now that's the first time I've seen a hat from Harry Potter been used to show someone been.....eh, you know after a booze bender. :grin:

Excellent modular building and gee, so much activity going on too......Brick On 'Wineyard' ! :grin:

That's a great design. I was surprised to see that the back of the building differs from the front also in colour. It makes sense that the back has less detail and is in less flash-y colour than the front with rich detailing and the dark red facade. I also like the scenes, although I do wonder if they could happen simultaneously.

Thanks guys! :)

That's a great design. I was surprised to see that the back of the building differs from the front also in colour. It makes sense that the back has less detail and is in less flash-y colour than the front with rich detailing and the dark red facade. I also like the scenes, although I do wonder if they could happen simultaneously.

The building I was inspired by, Norrlands Nation, actually has an alternative color on the back. And suprisingly enough, I wouldn't be super suprised if the events actually happened simultaneously. Anything and everything can happen at the Nations. :classic:

Of course you won the prize, who could compete? ;)

Great build, I like the juxtaposition of this large, solemn building, with the bustling mischief of the students.

Very cool!

Just curious, how long of a project was it for you?

Beautiful! I like the triple columns at the entrance and the use of the plain shields to trim the walls.

Yes, Student Nations were very common even in Italian and French Medieval Universities... and until XVIII century.

Your MOC is amazing... very well done and detailed!

Thanks for the comments!

Just curious, how long of a project was it for you?

I think it took about a month to build!

Yes, Student Nations were very common even in Italian and French Medieval Universities... and until XVIII century.

I wonder why they disappeared. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that universities became more common in Europe and therefore students didn't have move across Europe to study...

Very nice building. Funny vignettes. We should see the interior!

Thanks! Unfortunatly there is no interior!