Sign in to follow this  
Ashi Valkoinen

LDD-MOC: HŽ-6112 EMU manufactured by Končar

I was away from here for a while - last months spent with work and LEGO-exhibitions, but now I would like to present my new Croatia-related LDD-MOC, the electric motor unit built by Koncar, HZ 6112. I'm so glad that HZ and ZET could by some railway products manufactured in Croatia, unfortunately our last great railway vechile manufacturer, Ganz-MÁVAG is not existing anymore, so the only thing we can do is buy trains from different countries.

So, this prototype HZ 6112 (as I heard, HZ ordered 44 new trains, 16 electric suburban, 16 electirc regional and 12 diesel regional motor unit) was always bothering me, since I met it two years ago in Zagreb - easy to build sides, but very difficult front design, with narrow patterns and lots of curves. I always loved to design difficult trains, but I really spent long time with this. So, here it is:

View from the front:

0.png

Entire train:

wip_05.png

Doors could be opened manually, many of our kid visitors missed this option from my FLIRT trains:

wip_06.png

I made some screenshots from LDD to make SNOT-techniques a little more visible, colouring them pink and purple.

Door opening mechanism (it's a little bit tricky, but could be opened that way):

koncar_snot_01.png

Half-plate space filled with brackets, under them panel 1×4×1 to leave space for the power functions led going to the technic brick:

koncar_snot_02.png

Rounded things everywhere, while front is narrowing:

koncar_snot_04.png

Black pattern's ending next to the windows, black highlighted with pink, white with purple. Some cheese slopes missing here, LDD doesn't allow to put them there but it works fine in reality:

koncar_snot_05.png

Holder for luggage, handrails around the doors (not exactly the difficult pattern like on the train, but quite similar design):

koncar_snot_06.png

And now... I'm looking for sponsors to build it. :)

And in April Koncar delivered a regional EMU to Croatian Railways, which of course had different colouring than the prototype, so I had to grab my Lego Digital Designer again and redesign some parts of the train. The result is here:

koncar_new_04.png

However the two trains look similar, because of different colouring pattern tons of SNOT solution should have been replaced with other SNOT-techniques. It happened quite lot of times I had to fill half-plate thin holes on the train to make patterns look like original one, so I coloured half-plate thin bricks to purple in LDD to show how many of them are inside. SNOT slopes - including cheese ones, normal 45° and it's inverted pair, and slope 1×2×2 parts are coloured pink and levander.

koncar_snot_08.png

The pink and purple one is nice hehe! Very clever snot and i love the door design!

Oh, very nice and clever work again.

And half of it doesn't work in reality, because I had troubles to fit two LEGO leds next to each other, so I had to redesign it quickly without LDD while I was building it. I'll upload some photos of current solution, it works nice with little stress (technic 1×1 bricks have holes with 1 LDU (0.4 mm) offset from headlight bricks and 1×1 brick with one stud studs).

Yes, it means, 1/4 of the train is completed from bricks I found at home, not all are necesseraly correct in colour, but it will work! :blush:

I'm sorry moderators and admins for raising this topic from 2015, but I recently got some photos from a Danish builder which makes actuality to this topic.

Since these Koncar EMUs are really out of my fleet (Hungary-related rolling stock and actually they will NEVER run in Hungary) I decided not to build any - the only reason I designed them in LDD was that they looked really hard to be modelled by LEGO and at those times I had a Croatian girlfriend.

Girlfriend is gone by now for years by now and I extended my fleet with other trains, but I uploaded my LDD-plans to my LDD Brickshelf folder to share (for free!) the building techniques I used in this MOC. And recently I got an e-mail with bunch of photos from Denmark - an AFOL living there built the train with REAL BRICKS following my LDD-file.

So, here are some photos, shared with the permission of their owner, Michael Rehorst:

dsc_0024_sm.jpg

dsc_0026_sm.png

dsc_0027.jpg

22 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I'm not a fan of the nose, and have a feeling that there is some better way to do it. However, the swinging doors are awesome.

Maybe there is a way to do it better, but I designed this in 2014 and 2015. Some really nice new parts appeared since those years, I'm pretty sure that the curves slop 1×2×2/3 would be useful in this case.

Looking at Michael's train with real bricks however I'm fine with that design back from 2015. :)

Really it turned out quite stunning for the dated material lol...  Glad someone built it!  ... Really bothers me though that I can see batteries and wires through the windows...  Other than that I'm gripe free lol

Good job on the design the doors are clever indeed