Sign in to follow this  
stackables

Anyone have an Original Bane?

I just bought one and I am under the impression that is maybe a really good custom. I am hoping to find someone with the original fig that could help me answer some questions. I noticed light hits his short differently than his bare chest. If you have the fig, plesae get a hold of me...thanks

Edited by stackables

I once was dooped into buying a fake original Bane minifigure; and I know a few others who have as well (so if you too bought it from Amazon for around $30...then...).

I'm assuming the "difference" in light you are seeing could be a result of digital printing; which is a lower grade type of printing used often for cheaper quality custom Minifigures (as opposed to Pad printed figures, in which the quality is almost equal to official Lego). Digital printing leaves behind a grainy quality on top of the pieces.

If I could see a picture I could tell for sure right away (granted when I was dooped there was a stock picture provided--which fyi is another thing that should give people red flags!); but the second best thing--at least for you, is to just touch the figure, which sounds and is simple. Take a minifigure you know is official Lego and lightly stroke your thumb across the torso; notice the smooth texture. Then do the same for the potential fake. A digital printed custom figure will have a "raised" grainy printed design that you will be able to notice the difference in texture. This can also be visibly seen under certain angles of light as you have described.

That's for a digital fake--which for the Bane character I have heard of and seen before many times. It of course could be something else though, if not official, but I would need pictures to further determine that.

I have one. Could you post a pic of your Bane and I could compare it to the original. It's hard for me to know for sure just by reading the description of the minifig.

Sorry, I totally thought I would get notified when I got a reply. Here are some pics.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/colt4523/bane_front_zpsd3acced4.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/colt4523/bane_back_zps312e63a9.jpg

Here is a comparison between the beat up one I have and the one I bougth (on the left).

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/colt4523/IMG_3193_zpsb703b802.jpg

I am going to see if I can find some better lighting to take better comparison pics. The seller on ebay just informed me he got them from a trusted friend who he thinks got them form South Korea. That is a big red flag. Thanks for the help guys.

The thing that concerns me the most is the amount of flesh showing at the bottom of the torso and the location of the white lines through the venom pack.

Which original? The one from the bat tank, the tmbler chase or the bat cave?

The one from the Bat Tank is the original.

That Bane looks exactly like my Bane. I bought the Bat-Tank back in January of 2008, so mine was bought when it was new and I didn't order the minifig seperately or anything like that.

It looks legit to me.

Here are a couple more comparison shots. I circled the discrepancies.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/colt4523/Bane_comp_front2_zpsf39a8772.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/colt4523/Bane_comp_back2_zps768d2d85.jpg

That Bane looks exactly like my Bane. I bought the Bat-Tank back in January of 2008, so mine was bought when it was new and I didn't order the minifig seperately or anything like that.

It looks legit to me.

do you have any pics of him? I would like to compare them to mine.

The green is slightly different, too. But that can happen on different minifigs, I think.

The chest does also look a bit different, maybe the print got scratched away over time.

But the one on the right really looks a bit off to me... I do not own one of the old Bane figures so I cannot really compare other then to pictures on the internet. If it is a custom it is really well done and I would be happy with that :D

The difference on the front is just down to the placement of the print rather than a actual design difference. A movement of less than 1mm on the jig that's holding that particular torso would result in the print being raised further away from the base of the torso as seen in your picture.

You can see slight differences in how the inks are matching up in the back too... the blue of the straps on the one to the left don't reach the top of the torso and match the black outlines as they do in the one on the right. That again can be down to just slight variations in the actual moment of printing and is not a sign of something untoward happening... some older torsos that Lego have done have terrible printing... misaligned ink plates etc... it just happens regardless of how good QC can be sometimes it just happens... but none of the things pointed out on here would be something I'd have even pulled if I was hand checking for quality control on these figures.

One thing I'd say... the printing on both of those uses identical techniques... both have the same silver metallic ink (digital printing doesn't use metallics in this way).

None of the Chinese bootleg companies have produced this figure and there are telltale signs if any of them had. I'd also say that pad printing is quite an expensive process just to clone an existing figure (Unless you were trying to sell SDCC figures as genuine) so I can't see it being someone outside of the Eastern bootleg companies.

I'd say you have nothing to worry about with this. It's a legit figure as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will end up keeping him. I had to replace my beat up one that I got from another seller who stated the figure was "mint" condition. Yeah, paint missing from his mask, nick on his torso, and a cracked arm. I definitely would say that isn't mint lol.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. This is my Bane minifig:

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/zipper778/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/0111150757a.jpg.html

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/zipper778/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/0111150758.jpg.html

I bought the set back in January of 2008 and have only displayed the set. It's never been played with.

If anything it's a sloppily printed figure. Have you checked for the LEGO logo underneath the feet and between the Leg pegs?

There is logo on the head peg and between the leg pegs. All the pieces are definitely lego.