legonerd54321

9V or PF?

Hello everyone! I was wondering if is should switch from PF to 9V. Which option runs better/smoother, lasts longer, etc. Feel free to post your opinions, too! :classic:

It really depends what you want. If you are willing to spend the money go for 9V. It gives lego trains amodel railroading feel. But PF does have its advantages such as being able to buy lots of track for a fairly cheap price. Also it is nice to control 8 trains on one remote. I like being able to power steam locomotives by their drive wheels. You do not have to worry about the current running out either. I say both are pretty good

9V. Let's you get more stuff in the interior of the engines. Looks more realistic, rails definitely look much better than the fully plastic ones.

I'm working only with PF stuff and I'm quite satisfied

Your name and signature certainly suggest otherwise :wink:

If your new to the game go PF, unless you have good money to spend on it.

While a lot of us wish 9 volt was still around, its not to be and none of it is getting any cheaper. If it was still around I would be putting DCC in stuff lol

So my boy and I use PF, I shop for sales, deals and bulk lots, thats when I get stuff 98% of the time. Its easy to use(my 4 yr old pulls motors/receivers/etc by himself and builds stuff) and available for a good price.

Is it not possible for moderators to merge threads? This has just been done to death a couple of weeks ago!

Depends on how heavily you pockets are lined, 9v aint cheep. I run 9v not because its "better" par se, but because of flexibility. with 9v I can (and do) run everything but 12v. The ability to slip a 9v motor into just about anything is another perk, especially with smaller models. I also find the metal topped rails to be pleasing to the eye. Honestly it just depends on what your comfortable with financially. curves are cheap enough (sometimes they go for less than 1$), but straits are out of this world, most want like 4-5$ per strait. Switches generally run anywhere from 20-40$ then theres the transformer, wires, motor(s) and that's just to get started. motors are like gold, whenever I see one for less than 35$ I tend to buy it weather I need it or not, those things are worth a mint.

In short, if you can afford it its worth doing, but you'll pay through the nose for it.

also, you asked witch runs "better/smother". generally speeking, PF is "smother", 9v only runs as good as the track its on. if your track is corroded/dirty your trains will be jittery. also on long lengths of track 9v is subject to voltage drop. Pulling power wise, 9v has way more power than RC but PF is slightly* more powerfull than 9v. (ofcourse if your just into pulling power 4.5v is the end all :purrr:) As far as "better" goes, well that's a matter of opinion. But a well maintained 9v on good track will run just as good as a PF on a full charge. just don't try to run 8 of them :rofl:.

This topic is indeed kind of a dead horse, but I'll add my two cents: I'd still insist 9v is a better system overall, but having run PF trains for some months now, I'd also admit that PF is very good at most of the things 9v isn't good at.

For me it's mostly relevant in the low-speed, high-torque department where the 9v motors (and even the PF train motors) suffer the most, but where the Technic PF motors excel. Otherwise with enough motors, 9v is very good at what I'd consider the 80% use case: running relatively heavy trains at relatively high speeds for extended periods of times at a show/display.