Sign in to follow this  
snowvictim

10194 version 2

Hi guys!

I believe some of you have seen my topic on the 9V modded Emerald Night. Well, this is an update, but since practically the whole thing has changed I decided to dedicate a separate topic to this almost (99.9%) complete model. Well, this is it:

image.jpg

I've substituted the 1x1 2/3 slopes and 1x4 tiles on the port where the IR receiver sits in the Power Functions modification for the standard dark green 2x4 curved slopes that come with the locomotive. I've also added a small, barely noticeable 1x2 dark green slope roof next to the headlight.

image.jpg

The tender was rebuilt completely to accomodate 2x 9V motors. It is now longer and taller. I've also added the handles, I think they're aesthetically pleasing and fit the model. The coal chunks conceal 2 lead figures that I've put inside the tender to get the appropriate weight down on the motors. There's also a small 1x1 tile with a gauge to indicate loading capacity - just being creative!

image.jpg

The train is running three carriages. Two of them are original carriages from the 10194 set (I have two), the last one is a custom built carriage that I will slowly be bringing up to look like the original (at a speed of exactly 2x 4x3 tan windows a week due to their extremely unreasonable price...).

image.jpg

It's currently running the standard 4x3 creator windows. I was thinking of getting a custom print on the windows (curtains or a glass pattern), but I've decided not to give up on making it look like the original. As you can see the undercarriage also differs, it's brown. I've already ordered the necessary replacement 2x4 black brick modified (no studs) to get it looking correct.

image.jpg

And a small bonus. The reason I'm updating the Emerald Night is because I have decided to build a Winter Village. This small shack was a little experiment to see how the Emerald Night matches with the whole winter theme...

image.jpg

... and, in my opinion, it looks wonderful!

Any questions are welcome. Of course leave feedback!

Definitely works better visually. Technically it works better with 9V, less so in the case of PF as it adds more bricks to pull for the motor. If I were running this PF I'd still make the tender longer. The original just looks like it's been cut in half.

Very nice work. I definitely think the Emerald Night is crying out for a bigger tender so I'm sure yours is a huge improvement, but it would be nice to see a shot of your engine and tender together to see how well the shapes balance. I only have the one EN and don't think I'll be modding it, but I always thought that if I did modify one, it would be to change the smoke deflector shape to something more like the Peppercorn A1 Pacific.

The little snowy shack looks really nice. Seems a funny time of year to start a winter village.

image.jpg

Picture with the locomotive for scale.

image.jpg

I've also got this reader on the water container. Don't know what it's for, but it looks good so I put it there!

Thanks! I'm building a winter village train station dedicated for the Emerald Night. I'll make a separate topic for that once it's done (parts ordered, over 2000 in total!).