I 'm planning on getting the Lego AT-DP set soon for the Agent Kallus minifig. Being an AFOL MOCer, though, I thought to myself: Why not build the vehicle right now? It's one of the three iconic 'Rebels'-specific vehicles in my eyes, alongside the Imperial Troop Transport and the Ghost. My aim was to build it as clean and accurate as possible. This meant to get the legs as thin as possible without compromising stability, which I think I succeeded in quite well. Here's the model:

ATDP1.jpg

ATDP2.jpg

I didn't manage to add an opening hatch at the top, but made a hole that fits a minifig covered by a 2x4 tile that is not attached to any studs:

ATDP3.jpg

The whole plating on the top of the cockpit area can bi hinged open to gain easy access to the interior which comfortably fits two drivers and is also built as clean as possible:

ATDP4.jpg

I hope you like it. Constructive criticism and comments are welcome! :classic:

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Very nice! I do like the length of the cockpit on the official one better since it reminds me of an Apache gunship, but your's is much cleaner. I might need to copy those articulated legs for both my DP and ST.

Great MOC, I particularly like the accuracy to the show and the simplicity of this model. What pleases me is the clean touch you've given this model. Keep up the great work.

Looks great! A lot smoother, better sized, increased mobility on the joints and more accurate, I love it! :thumbup:

At first I thought the head looks a bit small in comparison with the legs, but that is just because the actual Lego set has a rediculously large head :laugh:

You truly are the master of Rebels! This is absolutely fantastic! You mastered the complex angles here. It looks much better than TLG's. The whole model is so smooth. You should be the new Lego Rebels designer!

looks like you beat me to it! :grin: Still awesome though and love the shape, it gives it a very clean look.

I`m not a fan of the rebels set/serie but your version of the walker looks really great!

I think the legs are a little bit to clean but the rest is good.

markus

I really like this version! It certainly is clean, and the solution for the ankles, those joints are an obvious choice i dont understand why TLG didnt do this?

The cockpit (both outside and in) look great and well designed. Id be proud if Id have designed that! Great job!

I think I like this more than the official set. Probably because it's so clean looking. legs look great, might have to borrow some techniques.

DTSJ: Looks fantastic!

You have done a great job of capturing the slim look of the legs, and the overall clean appearance of this walker as depicted in sketches and the series itself. I particularly like how you better accomplished the reverse curvature of the bottom aft edges of the cockpit with wedge plates. I'm very curious to see how the 75083 printed dome pieces would look on your MOC - snap an additional pic if you get a chance!

How would you describe the stability of the legs? I'm wondering if the added weight of the 75083 cockpit section would buckle a single click-hinge design for each leg joint. I'm guessing that's why TLG elected to use double hinges and a fixed-angle technic beam for the leg design.

Great MOC, thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot for the encouraging comments. I'm glad you like the model. I'll post a picture with all my ground vehicle MOCs and minifigs from Star Wars Rebels, soon.

...I'm very curious to see how the 75083 printed dome pieces would look on your MOC - snap an additional pic if you get a chance!

How would you describe the stability of the legs? I'm wondering if the added weight of the 75083 cockpit section would buckle a single click-hinge design for each leg joint. I'm guessing that's why TLG elected to use double hinges and a fixed-angle technic beam for the leg design.

I'm planning on getting the AT DP set from my local Lego store by the end of this week and add the printed bubble pieces to the head section.

As for the legs - they are very stable. You can handle the model normally and push it around without any parts getting loose or coming off. I don't like Lego models that loose parts as soon as you touch them or move them around, so stability is always an important factor for me. The construction of the legs is pretty easy and has proven to be a lot sturdier than I thought when I first experimented with it:

ATDPLegs.jpg

The construction of the legs is pretty easy and has proven to be a lot sturdier than I thought when I first experimented with it:

Thank you for posting the breakdown of the legs.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm reproducing your MOC - it looks so much better than the official one, and my kids are clamouring for it.

(By the way, I also love you Ghost, Phantom and Toop Transport. How did you get to be so ridiculously talented?)

Would you mind posting a quick exploded view of the cockpit, similar to what you did for the legs?

-- David.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm reproducing your MOC - it looks so much better than the official one, and my kids are clamouring for it.

Would you mind posting a quick exploded view of the cockpit, similar to what you did for the legs?

-- David.

I've been trying to do the same thing. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for posting the breakdown of the legs.

(By the way, I also love you Ghost, Phantom and Toop Transport. How did you get to be so ridiculously talented?)

-- David.

Thanks a lot. As I always say with all things creative - talent might be a good starting point, but what's most important is practice, practice, practice. :wink:

I've been trying to do the same thing. I would really appreciate it.

I'd be happy to. I hope this is of help to you:

ATDPexploded01.jpg

ATDPexploded02.jpg

ATDPexploded03.jpg

ATDPexploded04.jpg

ATDPexploded05.jpg

ATDPexploded06.jpg

ATDPexploded07.jpg

ATDPexploded08.jpg

ATDPexploded09.jpg

ATDPexploded10.jpg

ATDPexploded11.jpg

ATDPexploded12.jpg

ATDPexploded13.jpg

ATDPexploded14.jpg

ATDPexploded15.jpg

ATDPexploded16.jpg

ATDPexploded17.jpg

Here's the updated model with improved plating on the top of the cockpit and the printed domes from the official set added to it:

ATDP1-1.jpg

IT LIVES! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

16307414301_3c812d2d78.jpg

Many thanks, DarthTwoShedsJackson. That was a great set of pictures.

This one is built from parts which I had to hand, so it is missing a few small details: and one or two bits are built differently.

The kids love it. Ezra has destroyed it half-a-dozen times already!