TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

I too think it will be based on the new show. But i don't think that their designs are really that different than the old ones. They just spiced it up for the younger folks. Though i'd love the classic look myself of course.

I don't think it will have special moulded faces, for its gonna be hard to design the monsters/goons (they need to have human faces beneath their masks, right?)

Damn it,the wait for Toy Fair is killing me :sick: I'm really curious to see what Lego will do with this theme.Will there be wave 2??

Edited by LOTR34

My gut says old school Scooby Doo not the new reboot.....the new reboot looks to be a kid friendly type of Family Guy.....no rude stuff but nuttiness going on all the time !

Time will tell...... :grin:

Wait, scooby doo was with Character Building wasn't it?

This means Doctor Who has a chance! Yay

Lego Cuusoo/Idea's recently relaxed the rules about Dr Who sets & are now inviting sets for ideas so chances are CB has lost the licence for them both

Since the theme is confirmed, would Scooby-Doo will feature in The LEGO Movie 2 and The LEGO Batman Movie spinoff?? I know Scooby-Doo, DC, Harry Potter, Speed Racer, and The Hobbit are owned by Warner Bros.

Edited by legofanatic12

I've been really out of the loop on this- I missed the confirmation.

Anyways, good news. But I really don't know why anyone is thinking this will be Old School- to me, it's pretty obvious its going to be the new show (which looks terrifying for all the wrong reasons. Goodness, what have they done!). I mean, just look at Ninja Turtles: sets for the new show, and the new movie, but no classic sets whatsoever, and with none in the foreseeable future. Which is really a shame. I just hope those hideous new designs translate well into LEGO form- or else I may be out. The figures in the "Star Wars: Rebels" sets give me hope that these won't be like the Clone Wars figures, but they'll still be based on those designs.

Now, the real question is why they changed the character designs for the new show? This is, to the best of my knowledge, the first change ever (provided we don't count the natural changes as animation technology gets better), save a few attempts to modernize their wardrobe. Hm, oh well, that's not really on topic here, so I'll leave it with that.

Now, the real question is why they changed the character designs for the new show? This is, to the best of my knowledge, the first change ever (provided we don't count the natural changes as animation technology gets better), save a few attempts to modernize their wardrobe. Hm, oh well, that's not really on topic here, so I'll leave it with that.

The change is due to the change in comedy style. It's more satirical and zany, so the animation style has been changed to fit that.

And this is nowhere near the first time they've changed the style. A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Get a clue, Mystery Incorporated and now Be Cool Scooby Doo all feature animation that is different from the original.

Anyways, good news. But I really don't know why anyone is thinking this will be Old School- to me, it's pretty obvious its going to be the new show (which looks terrifying for all the wrong reasons. Goodness, what have they done!). I mean, just look at Ninja Turtles: sets for the new show, and the new movie, but no classic sets whatsoever, and with none in the foreseeable future. Which is really a shame. I just hope those hideous new designs translate well into LEGO form- or else I may be out. The figures in the "Star Wars: Rebels" sets give me hope that these won't be like the Clone Wars figures, but they'll still be based on those designs.

The main reason I believe it will partly be old school based is simply because the merchandising for Scooby Doo has almost always used some elements from the original show. Almost all the toys currently available feature some elements of the original show. Even the Character Building theme for Scooby Doo used mostly original series monsters despite the fact that Mystery Incorporated was airing for the entire duration of that toy line and only a couple of it's monsters were used in the theme.

The Scooby Doo merchandising seems to rely heavily on nostalgia and retro elements. So I don't think it's unlikely at all that we'll see some classic monsters. Time will tell, but even the rumored set names could very easily fit classic monsters.

Edited by strangely

1) They'd run out of stuff to make into sets really quick and the line would die

2) Scooby-doo appeals to kids and adults, Ghostbusters doesn't

3) Scooby-doo would make more money

But it'd make sense if they do make a LEGO Ghostbusters line because of Ghostbusters 3.

The main reason I believe it will partly be old school based is simply because the merchandising for Scooby Doo has almost always used some elements from the original show. Almost all the toys currently available feature some elements of the original show. Even the Character Building theme for Scooby Doo used mostly original series monsters despite the fact that Mystery Incorporated was airing for the entire duration of that toy line and only a couple of it's monsters were used in the theme.

The Scooby Doo merchandising seems to rely heavily on nostalgia and retro elements. So I don't think it's unlikely at all that we'll see some classic monsters. Time will tell, but even the rumored set names could very easily fit classic monsters.

That's a very good point. I don't think I saw any merchandising for the last scooby-doo show. It's always the classic scooby stuff because everyone likes that the best.

But it'd make sense if they do make a LEGO Ghostbusters line because of Ghostbusters 3.

I agree, although my points from before still stand. Unless the new ghostbuster movie appeals to kids.

That's a very good point. I don't think I saw any merchandising for the last scooby-doo show. It's always the classic scooby stuff because everyone likes that the best.

Yeah, Mystery Incorporated got very little merchandising, two character building minifigures and a set of action figures and neither even had the name of the show on the packaging. I'm surprised it even got that though. Most of the shows from the last twenty years have gotten very little merchandising, even the action figures from the live action movie years ago just reused the classic designs from the original series for the characters (Which really didn't make sense considering how different they looked in the movie).

I think in terms of clone wars figures LEGO learned their lesson. Completely incompatible with other figures. Knowing this, scooby doo's gang will likely have traditional dot eyes and the clothes in the new series are practically the same as the old ones, so if anyone is worried about whether or not they will be old/new I don't see much difference

Nope, no joke. My boys (7 and 9) know about the Ghostbusters, have seen the movies and cartoons. I have bought them Ghostbusters minimates which they like. Do you have kids? Do you not pass your passions and interests to your kids? Adults that grew up with the Ghostbusters now have kids and have passed this to their kids.

Same here. My boys (3,5,8) all love ghostbusters. They have seen the movies, know the song, and love the LEGO Ecto-1....all with minimal encouragement from me.

Edited by houndoggie

Even though I do feel excited about this, I kinda worry what the hero dog Scooby would be. We rarely see specific animal characters based on species that had generic versions in regular themes (patrol dogs, for example). Last year we got the very inaccurate Bruno from Cinderella and not sure if it's just another case.

Look at the Santa's Little Helper mould from the Simpsons Series 2

It's pretty accurate

Even though I do feel excited about this, I kinda worry what the hero dog Scooby would be. We rarely see specific animal characters based on species that had generic versions in regular themes (patrol dogs, for example). Last year we got the very inaccurate Bruno from Cinderella and not sure if it's just another case.

Seeing as he's the main star, I think they'll put a good effort into him being accurate

I think in terms of clone wars figures LEGO learned their lesson. Completely incompatible with other figures. Knowing this, scooby doo's gang will likely have traditional dot eyes and the clothes in the new series are practically the same as the old ones, so if anyone is worried about whether or not they will be old/new I don't see much difference

More to the point the targeted audience of scooby doo isn't going to be obsessing because their toy doesn't exactly match what they see on tv. They will not be telling their parents that Fred's hair could have been better if they had used a different piece. That's left to the adults here. Yes they will see the difference but if it looks similar they are happy. Yes they do appreciate a certain level of accuracy but it is not a requirement.

Anyone who has young children knows you can give them a box and that box becomes a rocket ship, pirate ship etc. They won't spend their time complaining that their 'toy' does not look exactly like the real thing because generally children possess a thing called imagination.

Edited by Darth Punk

Seeing as he's the main star, I think they'll put a good effort into him being accurate

I too have faith in Lego's ability to produce a Scooby mold accurate to the show. The big question now is, which show/concept art are they going to use?

More to the point the targeted audience of scooby doo isn't going to be obsessing because their toy doesn't exactly match what they see on tv. They will not be telling their parents that Fred's hair could have been better if they had used a different piece. That's left to the adults here. Yes they will see the difference but if it looks similar they are happy. Yes they do appreciate a certain level of accuracy but it is not a requirement.

Anyone who has young children knows you can give them a box and that box becomes a rocket ship, pirate ship etc. They won't spend their time complaining that their 'toy' does not look exactly like the real thing because generally children possess a thing called imagination.

I am compelled to agree with you. Of course, it is perfectly natural for an AFOL like me who remembers the original show to hope that whatever Lego makes, it resembles what we remember. Between the original show and Mystery Incorporated, I can see some differences in the animation art, but they are close enough in appearance to me to be acceptable either way if Lego designs the Scooby character similar to this.

I too have faith in Lego's ability to produce a Scooby mold accurate to the show. The big question now is, which show/concept art are they going to use?

I am compelled to agree with you. Of course, it is perfectly natural for an AFOL like me who remembers the original show to hope that whatever Lego makes, it resembles what we remember. Between the original show and Mystery Incorporated, I can see some differences in the animation art, but they are close enough in appearance to me to be acceptable either way if Lego designs the Scooby character similar to this.

I'm right there with you. Which was my point that children don't need the toy to be a replica of the new show. TLG can go old school and everyone will be happy.

I wonder if Lego will make Scooby so his legs can move to be posing easier ?

Hopefully he's posable. I just hope that if he is, he's not too big.

I wonder if Lego will make Scooby so his legs can move to be posing easier ?

The Character Building version of him had moving legs and a swiveling head. I'm betting they'll at least give him moving legs. I mean he's the main character and he's roughly the size of a person in the show, there's really not much of a reason for them to be missing out on moving legs.

The best way for Lego to make Scooby is to make him similar to the monkey, with articulating limbs and the ability to be on all fours or standing upright. The monkey is actually close to the size Scooby would have to be, relative to the minifigs. I have always thought the monkey was out of scale, given what it is supposed to represent. Scooby is supposed to be a great dane, and even the Santa's Little Helper mold would be too small.

Edited by gedren_y