TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

I loved the nostalgia feeling I got when I saw the old '90s vhs cassette tape piece in the Mystery Mansion. That's cool Shaggy has different faces between the Mummy and Van sets. You can remove the sink and stove to put the other 2 gang members there. The tree is really cool looking. The van is smaller in length from the Ecto-1 (which I extended my length by almost double so I could fit all 4 ghostbusters and their packs inside) and from the Vampyre Hearse from MF. I would not remind buying 2 just to extended it - it would look about as goofy as my stretch Ecto-1 does now (it looks like a stretched hearse).

Not fond of the lighter coloring on Shaggy since the sleeves just blend with the flesh tone (should have a black or gray line to show the end of the sleeve). It makes them look like cheap Dollar General block sets.

Scooby is too light brown and his eyes don't always look like they have full printing.

I recall someone on here making review videos and they treated the magnifying glass like it's the greatest thing since slice bread. This piece has been in TLC's collection since at least the late '90s when the Adventures theme came about and they magnitized then as they do now. You want neat? I remember the early '90s having Space themes with magnets and 3D decoders where you had red and blue trash can lids that decoded red/blue color codes. That was awesome, maybe also because I was a kid.

The lists for 2016 right now don't show additional Scooby sets coming but as we know that doesn't always mean anything especially since none of the Dimensions packs are there. This wave would make a return and it could not. Possibly closer to next August again. But don't base it off of early figures - like I already said, stores are only getting few of these sets in as pieces and once those numbers sell then they'll get more in. My Toys R Us still had at least one set of each except for the Plane (and they didn't look like they even had it in) and that was after buying 4 pieces of each set. That's not already a good sign if they're buying so low quantity and after 2 weeks still have about 50% left not to mention Walmarts around here are taking their time getting these sets out.

Both of the targets near me have all the sets in.

I'm not sure I can judge the selling of the sets in my area--as it seems the main stores around me (Toys R Us, Walmart, Target) have been rather laxed about getting new sets. Toys R Us is really the only one that actually puts out anything new, the other two, practically nothing. And even then, on a side note--I was there a few days ago looking for the Biplane set, and the Toys R Us almost seems to have removed all of the sets they just put out--all the new DC and Marvel were missing, same with Scooby-Doo (although I managed to find the Biplane in the Superhero section, because Toys R Us stockers are terrible at their jobs :blush: ); and all of the old sets were pushed over to fill the void. The stores in my area are weird. :wacko:

That being said, I do feel like this wave is doing well. Lego.com has sold out of every single set--which I don't think is an indication that they didn't expect the wave to sell (so they made less) rather I take it as an indication that Lego themselves didn't make enough for the high demand. The sets are hard to find in stores, and they've sold out online. I feel this is an indication that the theme is doing well. Plus I will note, how often is it that Lego actually has a miss? This isn't the 90's; Lego rarely has failures, and even their "failures" like Chima (which doesn't seem to have lived up to expectations compared to Ninjago, although it's successful in itself) lasted multiple waves.

Granted, sales may not be an indication we are getting a second wave anyways. This could just be a one wave theme. I don't think however that would be the worst thing ever. Considering how other ended licensed themes often leave out important characters or scenes--clearly evident in LotR, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, etc.--we got essentially everything we needed out of the Scooby-Doo theme. We have the major characters and their iconic vehicle; so I personally feel that anything after that is a bonus. For a second wave we would really just be getting more monsters and hopefully a Velma face print without glasses, but all of those can be chalked up as happy additions rather than necessities.

Failures? How about CHIMA, The Lone Ranger, Prince of Persia, TMNT (I swear Walmart had that whole theme on clearance), not to mention this new crappy Pirate line and their failed almost attempt to tie it to the first line. It looks like crap. I also believe the mine sets weren't a huge hit either and there have been tons of misses in STAR WARS, Super Hero line, LOTR, The Hobbit, etc. Sets go to clearance for a reason and now it seems TLM sets make the cut and those were huge hits upon release. TLM, by the way, along with FRIENDS, have been two biggest sales and marketing driverscin the last few years. I'm not sure Elves or Disney princesses are doing much. Has a Disney Lego set or theme really sold well (don't give me Star Wars, that was just bought by Disney, doesn't count).

Failures? How about CHIMA, The Lone Ranger, Prince of Persia, TMNT (I swear Walmart had that whole theme on clearance), not to mention this new crappy Pirate line and their failed almost attempt to tie it to the first line. It looks like crap. I also believe the mine sets weren't a huge hit either and there have been tons of misses in STAR WARS, Super Hero line, LOTR, The Hobbit, etc. Sets go to clearance for a reason and now it seems TLM sets make the cut and those were huge hits upon release. TLM, by the way, along with FRIENDS, have been two biggest sales and marketing driverscin the last few years. I'm not sure Elves or Disney princesses are doing much. Has a Disney Lego set or theme really sold well (don't give me Star Wars, that was just bought by Disney, doesn't count).

The TRU near me still has the most recent TMNT sets on their shelves. :look:

I think this theme will do well considering how fast all of the sets sold out.

I meant failures on the level of Galidor; failures that are actually terrible for the business as a whole. Lego has been on the up ever since it changed things around and started Star Wars sets. Yeah, Lone Ranger and PoP were bad--TNMT was successful, it had multiple TV based waves and ended with a movie wave.

Sets do go on clearance. It's not surprising that over a year out, the Lego Movie sets are finally being phased off the shelves. But are you counting misses as individual sets or whole themes? You can say Star Wars missed a few sets, but you'd be flat out wrong to say the Star Wars theme itself was a 'miss'. As for successful Disney themes? Marvel--that's evergreen now, total success. Elves is obviously doing something, they're getting a second wave--and there's been Disney Princess sets coming out for a while now too.

I don't understand your intense pessimism towards Lego licensed lines: Scooby-Doo or the past Monster Fighters theme (which was successful, I say this all the time).

Is chima a failure? Why do they get so many sets then?

Not necessarily. I do think that Lego expected it to be the next Ninjago (equal to or greater than)--but rather it seems people just want Ninjago more, hence it's continued return. No doubt Ninjago will jump into overdrive when the movie comes on the horizon.

My Mummy Museum arrived today - I love this set! The figures are so cool! Hopefully I'll be able to get the Mystery Machine soon.

Granted, sales may not be an indication we are getting a second wave anyways. This could just be a one wave theme. I don't think however that would be the worst thing ever. Considering how other ended licensed themes often leave out important characters or scenes--clearly evident in LotR, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, etc.--we got essentially everything we needed out of the Scooby-Doo theme. We have the major characters and their iconic vehicle; so I personally feel that anything after that is a bonus. For a second wave we would really just be getting more monsters and hopefully a Velma face print without glasses, but all of those can be chalked up as happy additions rather than necessities.

That is about how I feel. In fact, if I had nothing more than the Mystery Machine and the Mystery Mansion it would not bother me. All you really need is the gang and the Mystery Machine. Having some of the more well known villians is nice, but they are secondary. There are a couple of missed opportunities in the wave, but they are fairly minor. You mentioned one: Velma without glasses. As common as the gag was on the show, I was a bit surprised she did not have a double sided face without glasses on one side. Maybe they could actually produce an eyeglass mold to go along with the minifig as if she is looking for them. The other thing they kind of missed was Fred's traps. If they tried to incorporate a trap of some type into a set, it would certainly be an interesting play feature, which is always something Lego is fond of doing. Regardless, this will be a successful theme due to the nostalgia at the older level and the familiarity with the younger kids.

With the decades of material, and future media on the horizon, there are enough ideas to cull for many waves of sets. There are plenty of costume variations of the gang, villains, and extraneous characters so that future sets can avoid major repetition. The Scooby-Doo brand has such a wide range of fans that this theme could be here quite a while. It isn't Star Wars level, but this could be somewhere in the orbit of it.

With the decades of material, and future media on the horizon, there are enough ideas to cull for many waves of sets. There are plenty of costume variations of the gang, villains, and extraneous characters so that future sets can avoid major repetition. The Scooby-Doo brand has such a wide range of fans that this theme could be here quite a while. It isn't Star Wars level, but this could be somewhere in the orbit of it.

does that mean we might get madelyn or Scrappy someday?

Lego plans far ahead, so sales, like a few people have said, may not correlate to another wave.

Also, Chima is not a failure even in the slightest, although it is not my nor your cup of tea, it was very much loved by younger fans.

Prince of Persia and Lone Ranger weren't failed themes either, very much loved due to their variety of parts, visually appealing builds, and surprisingly detailed figures. These themes were only hindered due to the low ratings of their movies. Lego indeed has a knack to make amazing sets out of horrendous movies.

TMNT was beyond loved when it was announced and hit shelves, complete with great figures and iconic builds based on both the new and old TV series. It had great appeal due to to its collect-ability and nostalgia. There is much evidence that it would have continued to have been bought by fans had it not ended after 2 television based waves and one movie based wave. The movie wave, which was too hindered by a terribly rated film, had some very well detailed sets and figs.

With all the love the theme had been given, being put on clearance is not a strong argument that it was a failure. Sets are bound to go on clearance at some point.

But sadly TMNT suffered the same fate that I believe Scooby Doo will suffer, that once you get the full gang of main characters, there isn't much more to do. Well, maybe we huge Lego fans could find something to do, but not the average consumer.

As for The Lego Movie and Friends, it is not fair to say that just because they started off strong and were massive money makers and are now being put on clearance that they weren't successful. That isn't why they are being phased out The reason is because TLM is now a year old and the hype for the sets and film has died down, and Friends has Seasonal waves meaning the sets you see on clearance are a few seasons old. They can't be taking up shelf space until the end of time, people have their chances to buy the sets they want.

Friends was and still is a huge hit because it is female centric and acts as a gateway drug of sorts to a larger Lego world. It also offers great parts in different color varieties and other well crafted City related builds too. Some clearance is no reason to think its being dubbed a failure.

Elves and Disney Princesses are well liked liked too but sales are not as large of that of Friends because, lets face it, Friends was the original theme and the source of bringing many more female fans to Lego. Elves has great parts and Disney Princesses has some truly iconic figs and builds (FROZEN!!!) and would have still been a mere thought in the heads of Lego designers had it not been for the Friends theme.

And yes, there are not-so-popular sets in every theme, including Superheroes, Star Wars, and the like, but what of it? There are sure to be some sets like that, but that doesn't warrant the theme a failure by any means.

Also, Disney theme example: Marvel Superheroes. There are Disney DUPLO sets too which have done well by DUPLO standards but no other true Minifig scale DIsney themes so I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

So yeah, those are my 2 cents.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. If it sells well (which it seems to be) and Lego is willing to do another wave, they will. They would figure out content to base sets on if it comes to that so I wouldn't say the theme is limited in any way.

Edited by Ultron

Lego plans far ahead, so sales, like a few people have said, may not correlate to another wave.

Also, Chima is not a failure even in the slightest, although it is not my nor your cup of tea, it was very much loved by younger fans.

Prince of Persia and Lone Ranger weren't failed themes either, very much loved due to their variety of parts, visually appealing builds, and surprisingly detailed figures. These themes were only hindered due to the low ratings of their movies. Lego indeed has a knack to make amazing sets out of horrendous movies.

TMNT was beyond loved when it was announced and hit shelves, complete with great figures and iconic builds based on both the new and old TV series. It had great appeal due to to its collect-ability and nostalgia. There is much evidence that it would have continued to have been bought by fans had it not ended after 2 television based waves and one movie based wave. The movie wave, which was too hindered by a terribly rated film, had some very well detailed sets and figs.

With all the love the theme had been given, being put on clearance is not a strong argument that it was a failure. Sets are bound to go on clearance at some point.

But sadly TMNT suffered the same fate that I believe Scooby Doo will suffer, that once you get the full gang of main characters, there isn't much more to do. Well, maybe we huge Lego fans could find something to do, but not the average consumer.

As for The Lego Movie and Friends, it is not fair to say that just because they started off strong and were massive money makers and are now being put on clearance that they weren't successful. That isn't why they are being phased out The reason is because TLM is now a year old and the hype for the sets and film has died down, and Friends has Seasonal waves meaning the sets you see on clearance are a few seasons old. They can't be taking up shelf space until the end of time, people have their chances to buy the sets they want.

Friends was and still is a huge hit because it is female centric and acts as a gateway drug of sorts to a larger Lego world. It also offers great parts in different color varieties and other well crafted City related builds too. Some clearance is no reason to think its being dubbed a failure.

Elves and Disney Princesses are well liked liked too but sales are not as large of that of Friends because, lets face it, Friends was the original theme and the source of bringing many more female fans to Lego. Elves has great parts and Disney Princesses has some truly iconic figs and builds (FROZEN!!!) and would have still been a mere thought in the heads of Lego designers had it not been for the Friends theme.

And yes, there are not-so-popular sets in every theme, including Superheroes, Star Wars, and the like, but what of it? There are sure to be some sets like that, but that doesn't warrant the theme a failure by any means.

Also, Disney theme example: Marvel Superheroes. There are Disney DUPLO sets too which have done well by DUPLO standards but no other true Minifig scale DIsney themes so I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

So yeah, those are my 2 cents.

Scooby doo has tons of Minor characters, enough for at least two more waves: Madelyn Dinkley, Scrappy - Doo, Samuel Chastain Rogers, Wendy Rogers, Skip Jones, Peggy Jones, Nedley Blake, Elizabeth Blake, Maggie Rogers, Wilfred, Scooby - Dum, Scooby - Dee, Yabba - Doo, Deputy Dusty, Vincent Van Ghoul, Flim Flam, numerous costume variations for the gang, countless unused villains, Uncle Cozmo Dinkley, Velma's Parents, Velma's uncle John, Daphne's Uncle Max, Uncle Shagworthy, Ruby -Doo, Mumsy - Doo, Dada Doo, and Blue Falcon/ Radley Crowne and Dynomutt.

Scooby doo has tons of Minor characters, enough for at least two more waves: Madelyn Dinkley, Scrappy - Doo, Samuel Chastain Rogers, Wendy Rogers, Skip Jones, Peggy Jones, Nedley Blake, Elizabeth Blake, Maggie Rogers, Wilfred, Scooby - Dum, Scooby - Dee, Yabba - Doo, Deputy Dusty, Vincent Van Ghoul, Flim Flam, numerous costume variations for the gang, countless unused villains, Uncle Cozmo Dinkley, Velma's Parents, Velma's uncle John, Daphne's Uncle Max, Uncle Shagworthy, Ruby -Doo, Mumsy - Doo, Dada Doo, and Blue Falcon/ Radley Crowne and Dynomutt.

Samuel Chastain and Wendy are supposedly the names of Shaggy's parents. Nedley and Elizabeth are Daphne's parents and Skip and Peggy are Fred's parents.

Samuel Chastain and Wendy are supposedly the names of Shaggy's parents. Nedley and Elizabeth are Daphne's parents and Skip and Peggy are Fred's parents.

I do not think we'll see any of these.

Just the main characters and some villains

Edited by Robert8

Just voicing my opinion. I'd actually love a tiny Scrappy Doo fig and another wave. :sweet:

However, regarding all the characters: the same can be said for TMNT. I mean we didn't even get Casey Jones for crying out loud! :cry_sad:

And most of the ones you listed are too obscure, really scraping the bottom of the barrel. You need to think of the everyday collector, just wanting the characters he or she loved for nostalgic purposes, not a bunch that the person can't even remember or appeared in 2 max. episodes.

And for those reasons I honestly can't see Scooby Doo moving forward as a theme.

(That said, i still need to get the Mystery Plane somewhere) :laugh:

You honestly hit the nail on the head.

Not really. Marvel is a newly acquired property. I recall it happening in the last 5 years when I lived outside of Universal and asked myself, "How does that affect the Marvel zone at Universal Studios?" Well for licensing purposes it didn't and doesn't. But again, Marvel has been established long before Disney and TLC had already released Spider Man sets back in the early millennium.

I'm angered at Scooby Doo by the fact I'm angered for the same reasons I'm not happy with TLC about Monster Fighters: They're both largely incomplete and, in case of Scooby Doo's case, unnecessary as a theme. I had the same feelings towards TLC with Ghostbusters. I felt we should have at least gotten the HQ and we should have gotten a hero building (The MF HQ) for MF. Plus the Voodoo Doctor the original Zombies set had in the original videos.

For Scooby Doo, the Mystery Machine was really only needed like the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 and Back to the Future DeLorean. CMF14 will will fill in some missing monsters but I'm on the same page with many others: we still are missing a Bride of Frankenstein. The Zombies now have 2 female versions, the vampires also now have 2 female versions, but no Frankenstein's monster despite his already now 4 reincarnations. Plus TLC could have re-released another Hunchback and a less cartoony Headless Horseman. Not to mention a complete Grim Reaper rather than the cool statue from Harry Potter. Obviously there a ton more monsters we can speak of.

What comes next in the realm of LEGO SPOOKY? What will the Halloween seasonal set be? Perhaps trick or treating or pumpkin carving like painting easter eggs? I hope at least a Ghost ship that's officially monster related and not licensed or from a Castle theme of mostly skeletons.

I'm really in love with the Mystery Machine. It's actually one of TLC's better sets, I like it better than the Ecto-1 in many ways which I felt had many issues not trying to look like the real one. I'm only upset that the van actually has a kitchen in it, I literally looked online to see what the van had it in and it was always the full gang so I'm alittle upset by that. Thanks to the minifigure market it's cheaper to buy the two girls and add them to the van than to buy the lighthouse and mystery machine.

Hate that we get yet another Mummy set that doesn't really fit into anything (although the chariot from MF is supposed to go into the graveyard I guess). The museum display is cool but it'd be cooler if you could somehow get it to fit inside the castle.

I love how LEGO DIMENSIONS is using the Haunted House set in their mock build displays despite the house does look different in the game.

I love Ghostbusters slimer, though the flat face does get to me, not found of a terror dog build (though it looks very much like the movie's) - he should be his own animal parts or a Stay Puft minifig though I can see why they done that (it's awesome don't get me wrong but it's not very to scale). Def didn't like a Flying Monkey build - he should be a minifig like he is in the game. Love the sleeve reprints for the new Peter minifig - you bet I'm buying as many of those torsos or arms as I can get for my other GB figs.

Anyone else notice you had extra pieces for cool things with the Mummy Museum and Mystery Machine? I'll post more from the other sets as I buy them but here's a few ideas:

Museum: You should have a clear light and flashlight as extra pieces. Together they make an older version of the lego flashlight.

Machine: 1 extra brown rounded stud, reminded me somewhat of a Scooby snack. Love the extra twig - you could have Shaggy play fetch with Scooby.

Not liking the top of the Mystery Machine (the bars) but beyond that and the interior it is one of the better builds I have seen TLC do in a long while.

Since there are going to be quite a few direct to video lego style Scooby specials and an animated tv special coming up soon, I doubt this will only get one wave. There wouldn't be this much hoopla over it if it wasn't planned as a multiwave theme.

As just a casual Scooby Doo fan I only recognize Scrappy Doo as he is a pretty big character. That said I don't think Lego will produce more sets to introduce minor characters not many people know. There might be a next wave with Scrappy Doo in it, but I think the Scooby Doo line might end there, unless the new cartoon is going to be a real hit.

As just a casual Scooby Doo fan I only recognize Scrappy Doo as he is a pretty big character. That said I don't think Lego will produce more sets to introduce minor characters not many people know. There might be a next wave with Scrappy Doo in it, but I think the Scooby Doo line might end there, unless the new cartoon is going to be a real hit.

Scrappy is rather infamous, however, for "ruining the franchise".

I could see them doing another wave next fall. Really there's only a few more sets I'd want to round out the theme. A haunted farm (Creeper), wrecked alien ship (Space Kook), a haunted theme park (Charlie the robot and the ghost clown), a ghost ship (Redbeard and captain Cutler) and a castle (the Green Ghost, wolfman and the ghost of Elias Kingston).

Mostly I just want the classic monsters from the original show, so one more wave would be awesome. I feel like after creating all those new molds and the promise of TV specials that at least implies some sort of future for this theme.

Edited by strangely

I have many ideas for this theme. All your ideas are great though Strangely. I was thinking some sort of Scooby-diving set ( :grin:) with Captain Cutler and Iron Hide. We could get a few of the gang in scuba diving variants. The build would be maybe a jet ski for above water with a shark for iron hide and a small abandoned ship below. Another I thought would be cool would be a saw mill type set with the Snow Ghost and the Werewolf since I believe they both featured something similar in their episodes. That'd give us some snow variants. I'd also love a malt shop set! As for the Hex Girls, the three of them could be split up among a few sets in the wave which is what would probably happen if we were to ever get them.

Edited by Ultron

Picked up the Mansion and Mystery Machine at TRU today! They had everything but the Lighthouse. Surprisingly, they had 6 Machines, 4 Mansions, and only one of the Biplane's and Museum's. Gotta say, very impressed with these two.

With all the talk on whether or not this'll have a second wave or not, here's my two cent. Being that we're getting a TV special, I think Lego will continue this theme for a little while. Also appearing in Dimensions is pretty huge as well, perhaps it may be an indicator that we'll be seeing more in the future. However, I don't think this'll get two waves a year. If anything, we may see 3 waves in 2 years, but that's pushing in my opinion.