TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

I don't think quality issues point to this being fake. I've gotten several minifigures that were chipped right out of the box. As for printing problems the lines, especially on the legs, weren't perfect even on the toy fair copies (Even for other themes the leg printing was sloppy (Especially Starfire)). Printing errors are pretty common today.

And while I think the timing and location is fishy it's certainly not impossible. There is a factory in Mexico and most of the eBay auctions seem to be Texas and California. And there's probably a few other ways a person could get a hold of these.

Also if that Velma is a fake then I have to say they did a great job with the hair. It's pretty rare a bootlegger ever gets that close to a perfect mold, especially for a piece that hasn't even been released yet. I tend to think it's real.

I think it may also be fake. I thought the new style of leg molding/printing carried around the back as well, not just the sides. I swear I saw photos of that at toy fair

Molding carries around to the back, so minifigures like Spider-man, Batman and Beast Boy will have the color on the back of the legs. However the legs of Velma and Daphne are printed and thus it does not carry onto the back.

Factory seconds is my guess. Parts that don't measure up to quality standards (yes, LEGO has them) and are supposed to be destroyed, but workers take them home to sell.

Factory seconds is my guess. Parts that don't measure up to quality standards (yes, LEGO has them) and are supposed to be destroyed, but workers take them home to sell.

This is the answer. :wink:

I like this answer too, hopefully it is the answer.

I'll be waiting until launch or pre-launch if that incidentally happens. I expect Target will offer the 5% with free shipping for redcard members. I'm curious if Amazon will offer discounts early, I recall getting a few MF and The Hobbit sets really cheap, The Hobbit especially upon release. Amazon seems to offer the deeper discounts if you're buying the theme all at once.

I'm calling FAKE on these being sold. Zoom in one this one, notice the quality errors? There are chips on her right bottom of the torso, the lines of her many curves are not matched, it does seem very fishy they are released but none of the sets are being leaked? How were they able to get these parts in the USA when the LEGO factories are mainly in Europe? Why only $20... like I said the sleepy Emmet I got for free at Regal Cinemas sold well over $20 within the week of getting it, yet these are not available and somehow they're going for a very low $20? I know they're not "limited edition" but c'mon, there has got to be a lot of fans who want these early right?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f4cfc4abb

Whether that's a fake or not, one can wait 2 months and buy the real one and sweep doubts away.

Any news on a LEGO web site? Monster Fighters had a site in the May of that year but I didn't recall the sets being released until July or August. I noticed Jurassic World's went online about the same time their product line was released so perhaps we won't see it until closer to release date?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item487f1a50d5

Zombie is on eBay now too. Pretty interesting back printing.

$_57.JPG

I'm really hoping these sets hit stores early. Frankly the sheer amount of minifigures popping up online seems too high for these to not be leaking somewhere. There's even a Scooby Doo in a factory sealed bag... Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

The printing on Scooby's collar looks better than the toy fair versions.

Edited by strangely

Those buttons are clever, but actually horrifying if he's put in context as a real monster. I still think he should have gotten a spare head with the crook's face on it, though.

but actually horrifying if he's put in context as a real monster..

A hairpiece would fix that

...or you could just make out that they're bolts or something similar, like common Frankenstein's Monster pictures have bolts in the head/neck and that...

Edited by Mutant Orc

So excited to get these sets! I love that little detail on the back of the Zombies head.

Star Wars and Scooby Doo aren't the same by a long shot. And yes, nearly every wave has a remake. However a lot of those remade sets are years apart from the last time they were made. There might be five to ten years between some remakes. And Star Wars has the benefit of being a much bigger franchise.

When it comes to hero characters Star Wars has three main casts across three trilogies and that doesn't even count TV shows, video games and comic books. Plus almost all of those characters have a handful of variations due to changing looks/costumes across the years (Usually with drastically different costume styles and colors). Plus they have a ton of villains and an entire universe of supporting characters. And the fan base is so large and demanding even characters like Willrow Hood have become an action figure.

Scooby Doo on the other hand only has five hero characters (More if you want to add gimmick characters like Scrappy into the mix). There is some variation to their costumes, but most aren't particularly notable or drastic. When it comes to monsters/villains there's quite a few of them, but a lot of them repeat the same gimmicks. For instance the Zombie we're getting this year is one of five identical Zombies that's appeared throughout the franchise, each one is just a color swapped version of the first Zombie. This Zombie isn't even the same one from Where are you, but looks so alike that few people actually recognize the difference. And that's not particularly uncommon for Scooby Doo as the Black Knight and the Mummy have the same problem. So even though there's probably hundreds of monsters there's probably less than a hundred that people are dying to have.

Finally Scooby Doo has very repetitive locations and very few vehicles, and considering a fair share of Lego products are just vehicles that's kind of a problem. It can be a challenge to do location based sets and fit them into small price points, hence the cavalcade of vehicles we get in most themes. This first wave alone already is giving them mystery machine colored vehicles they never owned.

Scooby Doo has a lot of source material, but not the amount Star Wars has. And it definitely doesn't have the fan base that Star Wars has nor the billions of dollars in revenue to back it up. I love Scooby Doo and I hope it has many waves, but I don't expect it too. Now there's every possibility that the new show and movies might be a smash hit and reinvigorate the franchise to a point where the WB might want Lego to keep on making sets, but for the time being I just don't see that happening (Though I hope it does).

Strangley, personally, I think that complaining about the "vehicles they don't own" thing is just ugh. No offense, but get over it. Lego wants to take some creative licence with a theme? Let 'em! Also there are several canon depictions where at least one of the gang comes from an obscenely wealthy family. Shaggy's family's been rich, Fred's dad was once the mayor, Daphne's family once owned a HUGE mansion [which Lego should totally cash in on, especially if they aimed it a little bit towards girls], et hoc genus omne. Besides, can you name one reason that a Mystery [insert varied vehicle here] isn't cool? I mean, I would put the CMF Hippy in it and make some awesome pics and whatnot. But hey, that's just me. I can see why a die hard fan or someone else might not like them expanding on what the source material dictates. After all, in every adaptation of any property to another form, every single legitimate complaint can be boiled down, in some way or form, to a divergence from the source material.

on the "vehicles they dont own" thing, arent these supposedly based on the new show? i doubt lego would do scooby doo without that show coming out, other than an ideas set, so id have to assume so. for all we know mystery inc may have these vehicles in the new one. atleast the motorcycle doesnt seem too out there for them to have. also shaggy having a highly wealthy family in several continuities could play a factor in them having these in the new one. also, since the show is supposedly going to be a way more wacky version then last time, they could have a transforming mystery machine like in "shaggy and scooby doo get a clue", explaining the plane. i mean i may be way off, but that could be why.

also on the vehicles thing, they could always give the monsters themed vehicles that dont really exist, like a ufo for space kook, or some kinda mine cart with an engine for the 49'er, that kinda thing? i dont see a reason why they wouldnt do that if they wanted to make more vehicles.

Mrfang2, like I was telling Strangley, personally, I think that complaining about the "vehicles they don't own" thing is just ugh. No offense, but get over it. Lego wants to take some creative licence with a theme? Let 'em! Also, like you said, there are several canon depictions where at least one of the gang comes from an obscenely wealthy family. Shaggy's family's been rich, Fred's dad was once the mayor, Daphne's family once owned a HUGE mansion [which Lego should totally cash in on, especially if they aimed it a little bit towards girls], et hoc genus omne. Besides, can you name one reason that a Mystery [insert varied vehicle here] isn't cool? I mean, I would put the CMF Hippy in it and make some awesome pics and whatnot. But hey, that's just me. I can see why a die hard fan or someone else might not like them expanding on what the source material dictates. After all, in every adaptation of any property to another form, every single legitimate complaint can be boiled down, in some way or form, to a divergence from the source material.

Non-existent villain vehicles? You sir or madam, need to be working for TLG. That is genius! :) Regrettably though, we've seen previews, and it doesn't seem like there are any, but like the New York lottery says: "Hey, you never know." So here's hoping to those, perhaps during a second wave.

Speaking of the Space Kook, I am a Whovian (the jargon for a fan of the British sci-fi television series, Dr. Who, which, by the way I HIGHLY recommend [in case you weren't aware of the meaning]), and there are Dr. Who creatures called the Vashta Nerada (va-sh-ta neigh-rah-da), and they look almost exactly like the Space Kook, being that they are both essentially skeletons in space suits. Purist Lego Vashta Nerada are pretty easy, just throw a classic Skeleton head on a Star Wars Hoth trooper, and a space helmet, and viola, Vashta Nerada/Space Kook. There are minor differences, but I'll leave those for the die-hard fans to nitpick [rightfully so] about. Also, I have made a purist Miner 49'er, and have made some attempts at other Scooby villains in the event that they get glossed over by those in charge at TLG. My depiction of Miner 49'er can be found on my Flickr account, the link to which is here:

Again, my Flickr account has a picture of my Vashta Nerada/Space Kook stand in, so you can check that out here:

Finally, I'd like to direct you to an old Scooby-Doo Ideas Project where some pretty kick-megablocks purist villains were made, coupled with citizen heads, so those might be of some interest too, and they can be found here ... :

... and here:

Edited by TheBigRedCheese

Strangley, personally, I think that complaining about the "vehicles they don't own" thing is just ugh. No offense, but get over it.

That post is over a month old. Second there's only three sentences about the vehicles. Third I didn't complain about them. I said the lack of vehicles would make it harder to do sets and that Lego is already making up vehicles to fill out the line. I didn't say I dislike them. In fact I really love the boat.

Mrfang2, like I was telling Strangley, personally, I think that complaining about the "vehicles they don't own" thing is just ugh. No offense, but get over it.

This makes me think you didn't really read Mrfang2's post very closely. Mrfang2 wasn't complaining about the vehicles and was merely theorizing on why these particular vehicles might have been used in the set. Neither of us were complaining about the vehicles, we were talking about the longevity of the theme. I don't have a problem with the vehicles, I would have rather had the plane in a different color, but I still think it's the best biplane design we've gotten to date and the colors are really well balanced and probably the best protagonist color scheme we've gotten (It's not distracting like the Spidey vehicles).

You're complaining about something we didn't say.

Anyhow, that criticism isn't entirely relevant. The heroes need some builds, too, so they get psychedelic vehicles like the Mystery Machine. Did this happen in the show(s)? Not really. But it's more fun for kids to let the heroes have vehicles as well.

I'm actually in favor of the vehicles. My original point was simply that from a design standpoint it might get harder and harder to find vehicles to put into sets the longer the theme goes. Granted the Lego designers are pretty inventive so I'm sure they could keep it going for a while.

I just think they run the risk of getting repetitive. I wouldn't mind a few other mystery machine variations and a skateboard in the gangs colors, plus a jet ski and snowmobile. I think it would be hard to do another plane or boat.

I'm actually in favor of the vehicles. My original point was simply that from a design standpoint it might get harder and harder to find vehicles to put into sets the longer the theme goes. Granted the Lego designers are pretty inventive so I'm sure they could keep it going for a while.

I just think they run the risk of getting repetitive. I wouldn't mind a few other mystery machine variations and a skateboard in the gangs colors, plus a jet ski and snowmobile. I think it would be hard to do another plane or boat.

Oh, I misinterpreted your words. You're totally right, that's all on me. Anyway, I apologize and just FTR, what I was repeating Mrfang2 what I was telling you about, so basically, I just repeated my own misinterpretation of what you had said, not what he had said. I thought he and I were on the same page, but thinking back, I may have misinterpreted his post too. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone.

Anyhow, that criticism isn't entirely relevant. The heroes need some builds, too, so they get psychedelic vehicles like the Mystery Machine. Did this happen in the show(s)? Not really. But it's more fun for kids to let the heroes have vehicles as well.

Like I just wrote Strangley, I merely misinterpreted what he and Mrfang2 were getting at. In any case, even though its based off a poor interpretation, I wouldn't say that the criticism itself isn't relevant, just poor. It's not good, but either way, if I had correctly interpreted what he was getting at, it would be both relative and valid to boot. Again, I'm not as good as a writer as I am a speaker, so forgive me if I sound offensive, and I'm apologizing in advance if I manage to somehow sound offensive anyway.

Ooh! Ooh! Mystery mech please!

Ooh! Ooh! Mystery mech please!

I'm kind of intrigued by that. There are several gigantic sized monsters in the show, so a mech might work for a set. Maybe it could be fighting Mano Tiki Tia and the Witch doctor.

What are the chances of getting a Scooby Doo minifigure as a SDCC exclusive?

Sorry If I'm seeming a bit slow here, but when are these sets due for release?

Also, does anyone know if the Mystery Machine will be big enough to fit all five main characters inside it?

Also, does anyone know if the Mystery Machine will be big enough to fit all five main characters inside it?

I thought I read August for North America and 2016 for the rest of the world a few pages back, though I'm not sure.

Knowing LEGOs track record with vehicle space, probably not. :grin:

I remember reading from a toy fair report that this is not possible. Maybe two or three can fit.