TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

Star Wars and Scooby Doo aren't the same by a long shot. And yes, nearly every wave has a remake. However a lot of those remade sets are years apart from the last time they were made. There might be five to ten years between some remakes. And Star Wars has the benefit of being a much bigger franchise.

When it comes to hero characters Star Wars has three main casts across three trilogies and that doesn't even count TV shows, video games and comic books. Plus almost all of those characters have a handful of variations due to changing looks/costumes across the years (Usually with drastically different costume styles and colors). Plus they have a ton of villains and an entire universe of supporting characters. And the fan base is so large and demanding even characters like Willrow Hood have become an action figure.

Scooby Doo on the other hand only has five hero characters (More if you want to add gimmick characters like Scrappy into the mix). There is some variation to their costumes, but most aren't particularly notable or drastic. When it comes to monsters/villains there's quite a few of them, but a lot of them repeat the same gimmicks. For instance the Zombie we're getting this year is one of five identical Zombies that's appeared throughout the franchise, each one is just a color swapped version of the first Zombie. This Zombie isn't even the same one from Where are you, but looks so alike that few people actually recognize the difference. And that's not particularly uncommon for Scooby Doo as the Black Knight and the Mummy have the same problem. So even though there's probably hundreds of monsters there's probably less than a hundred that people are dying to have.

Finally Scooby Doo has very repetitive locations and very few vehicles, and considering a fair share of Lego products are just vehicles that's kind of a problem. It can be a challenge to do location based sets and fit them into small price points, hence the cavalcade of vehicles we get in most themes. This first wave alone already is giving them mystery machine colored vehicles they never owned.

Scooby Doo has a lot of source material, but not the amount Star Wars has. And it definitely doesn't have the fan base that Star Wars has nor the billions of dollars in revenue to back it up. I love Scooby Doo and I hope it has many waves, but I don't expect it too. Now there's every possibility that the new show and movies might be a smash hit and reinvigorate the franchise to a point where the WB might want Lego to keep on making sets, but for the time being I just don't see that happening (Though I hope it does).

on the "vehicles they dont own" thing, arent these supposedly based on the new show? i doubt lego would do scooby doo without that show coming out, other than an ideas set, so id have to assume so. for all we know mystery inc may have these vehicles in the new one. atleast the motorcycle doesnt seem too out there for them to have. also shaggy having a highly wealthy family in several continuities could play a factor in them having these in the new one. also, since the show is supposedly going to be a way more wacky version then last time, they could have a transforming mystery machine like in "shaggy and scooby doo get a clue", explaining the plane. i mean i may be way off, but that could be why.

also on the vehicles thing, they could always give the monsters themed vehicles that dont really exist, like a ufo for space kook, or some kinda mine cart with an engine for the 49'er, that kinda thing? i dont see a reason why they wouldnt do that if they wanted to make more vehicles.

on the "vehicles they dont own" thing, arent these supposedly based on the new show? i doubt lego would do scooby doo without that show coming out, other than an ideas set, so id have to assume so. for all we know mystery inc may have these vehicles in the new one. atleast the motorcycle doesnt seem too out there for them to have. also shaggy having a highly wealthy family in several continuities could play a factor in them having these in the new one. also, since the show is supposedly going to be a way more wacky version then last time, they could have a transforming mystery machine like in "shaggy and scooby doo get a clue", explaining the plane. i mean i may be way off, but that could be why.

also on the vehicles thing, they could always give the monsters themed vehicles that dont really exist, like a ufo for space kook, or some kinda mine cart with an engine for the 49'er, that kinda thing? i dont see a reason why they wouldnt do that if they wanted to make more vehicles.

Whether these sets are based off the new show isn't known as of yet, they could be. However Warner Bros seems to be trying to revive the franchise in general, so its possible that these sets exist to drum up interest in the franchise in general rather than any one specific show.

And while they could do villain vehicles I think they'd run thin on those too. Not many monsters have vehicles and there's a lot or repetition for the one's that do. I'm sure Lego could keep the theme going if they had too, but eventually they'd get stuck repeating.

Edited by strangely

I really wish these sets came out earlier than August 1, I cant wait to get the Mystery Mansion and the Mystery Van! It would go great when I decorate my room for October with those sets and the Monster Fighters Haunted House I have yet to build (been waiting on it since I got it for my birthday last year) I do wish I could have gotten more Monster Fighters sets...

Nice find once again! Doesn't say whether we will get Zeke's other head, and hopefully these aren't the official prices or my wallet's really going to hurt!

Those are Canadian prices.

Didn't even realize, thanks! Are those normal prices for sets of that size in Canada? The PPP ratio isn't very good from what I can see.

Interestingly, the official Scooby Doo web site, http://www.scoobydoo.com/, (click Characters at top-right) features only the monsters that will be appearing in the LEGO sets. Of particular note are the names of especially the ghost and sea creature: The Phantom & Sea Demon. The actual person's names and the places they haunt do not exactly match Best Buy Canada's product information but I find this interesting to note anyway.

Edited by kelceycoe

Interestingly, the official Scooby Doo web site, http://www.scoobydoo.com/, (click Characters at top-right) features only the monsters that will be appearing in the LEGO sets. Of particular note are the names of especially the ghost and sea creature: The Phantom & Sea Demon. The actual person's names and the places they haunt do not exactly match Best Buy Canada's product information but I find this interesting to note anyway.

I think this solves the discussion about who the Swamp Creature is supposed to be

when is these sets out again?

August for North America, 2016 for the rest of the world.

I think this solves the discussion about who the Swamp Creature is supposed to be

It definitely should. I am unsure though why there is only one swamp monster and why BestBuy.ca calls the Swamp Monster "Mr. Brown" when I cannot find any evidence of a Mr. Brown and Swamp Monster correlation, let alone a Mr. Brown anywhere in Scooby Doo lore.

Mr. Brown must be the guy with the monocle wearing the swamp monster costume.

Edited by 8BrickMario

It's kind of weird that some of the minifigures for this theme are already popping up on Ebay. I know sometimes minifigures are taken from the factories and whatnot, but it just seems odd these are starting to pop up complete and in decent quantities.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-REAL-Lego-Scooby-Doo-Velma-Minifigure-Minifig-75904-Mystery-Set-Vilma-/271874542267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4cfc4abb

It makes me wonder if the release dates might end up getting pushed up from August. After all some of the DC and Marvel sets that were listed for August are starting to appear, I can't help but think Scooby Doo might show up early too.

I'm shocked individual figures are going for only $20 Buy It Now, that's the price of an exclusive figure in a sealed bag (like a movie theater giveaway). Is LEGO aftermarket (or before market in this case) really starting to depreciate that badly?

I'm shocked individual figures are going for only $20 Buy It Now, that's the price of an exclusive figure in a sealed bag (like a movie theater giveaway). Is LEGO aftermarket (or before market in this case) really starting to depreciate that badly?

I would hope so. Anyone who is sane or does the least bit of research will know they can be bought for a fraction of that price in a few months time if they just wait...

It's kind of weird that some of the minifigures for this theme are already popping up on Ebay. I know sometimes minifigures are taken from the factories and whatnot, but it just seems odd these are starting to pop up complete and in decent quantities.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f4cfc4abb

It makes me wonder if the release dates might end up getting pushed up from August. After all some of the DC and Marvel sets that were listed for August are starting to appear, I can't help but think Scooby Doo might show up early too.

What?? $20??

I wonder who buys that things at that price.... :sadnew:

Edited by Robert8

Awwww! That eBay listing makes me really disappointed...I thought for sure Daphne's alternative face would be squinty--eyed "where's my glasses" version! Oh! So many planned MOCs scrapped because of this! What a waste Lego! What a waste!

Hope we get that alternative face soon!

Awwww! That eBay listing makes me really disappointed...I thought for sure Daphne's alternative face would be squinty--eyed "where's my glasses" version! Oh!

Do you mean Velma?

Awwww! That eBay listing makes me really disappointed...I thought for sure Daphne's alternative face would be squinty--eyed "where's my glasses" version! Oh! So many planned MOCs scrapped because of this! What a waste Lego! What a waste!

Hope we get that alternative face soon!

So they did not have an alternate face with no glasses? Yeah, that was kind of a missed opportunity there---thought that would be a given.

I'm calling FAKE on these being sold. Zoom in one this one, notice the quality errors? There are chips on her right bottom of the torso, the lines of her many curves are not matched, it does seem very fishy they are released but none of the sets are being leaked? How were they able to get these parts in the USA when the LEGO factories are mainly in Europe? Why only $20... like I said the sleepy Emmet I got for free at Regal Cinemas sold well over $20 within the week of getting it, yet these are not available and somehow they're going for a very low $20? I know they're not "limited edition" but c'mon, there has got to be a lot of fans who want these early right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-REAL-Lego-Scooby-Doo-Velma-Minifigure-Minifig-75904-Mystery-Set-Vilma-/271874542267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4cfc4abb