TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

I just noticed...

The box shows an owl on the right of the mansion but it does not appear in the set.

Wonder why?

This reminds me of the MF box at Toy Fair - the mummy had a brown Indy Jones whip but the final set no whip existed.

I just noticed...

The box shows an owl on the right of the mansion but it does not appear in the set.

Wonder why?

To be fair, the box isn't final.

Also... again we should be careful speculating the villains. The two suggestions for the miner in the Mystery Mansion so far is Scooby Doo's "Miner Forty-Niner" and the CMF12's Prospector.

Look closely at the photos... the Miner 49er guy's eyes were not shown and the CMF12 miner did not hold a crystal.

Also the miner's photo in the mansion appears to have a spooky white face.

It could just be a mashup of many villians or a sign of what's to come on Be Cool, Scooby Doo.

To be fair, the box isn't final.

No it may not be but again there was a reason for an owl to be on the box and it's not on the set.

So again... I wonder why?

Just like the MF Mummy set - what was so difficult about not giving the Mummy a whip? I paid less than $3 with shipping for the part.

It's the Prospector from CMF Series 12

I just meant it's most likely referencing him. Even so, the CMF miner has different printing and different hat mold than the one in the picture. Also the miner 49-er was scaring people away to look for gold so I don't think it's just a coincidence that they put a picture of a miner in the set.

It looks like a zombified/monsterized S12 prospector to me.

But he could be someone else

Edited by Robert8

It could be referencing the Miner 49er as a sort of Easter Egg. In the LOTR, the Tower of Orthanc set had some stickers that referenced other characters that were never made (two other wizards).

To me it doesn't look like Miner Forty-Niner or the prospector. There's similarities to both, but neither are a clear match. I don't think that picture is supposed to be a reference, at least not to another monster or a CMF. These sets all seem to have their own mystery and to me the painting looks like a clue.

In a traditional episode Velma would see this painting and realize that the owner of the house was a prospector and that the monsters haunting the house are trying to scare them away so that they can find the gold.

Changing the direction here but...

I'm not feeling LEGO Scooby Doo as getting a second wave unless LEGO plans to super promote this and its already under promoted.

Case in point... Doctor Who gets one set and I'm already seeing a teaser video.

We only have an official teaser image and press release for SD.

I am, however, aware that the next line of CMF will be monster-related. The next warriors in the NinjaGo series, also coming in August, will be ghost warriors.

Historically Halloween has been one of the major holidays LEGO cannot bank on. They may have one or two sets now but there was a huge decade where LEGO had one or two sets and Christmas and Easter were common.

Studios Monster line was a failure, we can blame it on the bad time for LEGO (they almost went bankrupt in 2003) and from going to the Lego store at Disney and my Target at the time Monster Fighters (except for the Zombies set) was also a failure - I always saw that theme in full stock.

At least we did get a sticker book last Halloween.

I also notice more Halloween items are relaxed in droids with other Halloween items - like the treat bags and storage heads being sold the same time as MF.

Just my observation and analysis. This can only be a success with the Halloween time until Lego can turn that season into a profit.

And don't tell me about the Brick or Treat at Legoland... The Lego Company sold those parks before their near collapse - they were part of their near collapse.

Changing the direction here but...

I'm not feeling LEGO Scooby Doo as getting a second wave unless LEGO plans to super promote this and its already under promoted.

I am, however, aware that the next line of CMF will be monster-related. The next warriors in the NinjaGo series, also coming in August, will be ghost warriors.

Historically Halloween has been one of the major holidays LEGO cannot bank on. They may have one or two sets now but there was a huge decade where LEGO had one or two sets and Christmas and Easter were common.

Studios Monster line was a failure, we can blame it on the bad time for LEGO (they almost went bankrupt in 2003) and from going to the Lego store at Disney and my Target at the time Monster Fighters (except for the Zombies set) was also a failure - I always saw that theme in full stock.

At least we did get a sticker book last Halloween.

I also notice more Halloween items are relaxed in droids with other Halloween items - like the treat bags and storage heads being sold the same time as MF.

Just my observation and analysis. This can only be a success with the Halloween time until Lego can turn that season into a profit.

And don't tell me about the Brick or Treat at Legoland... The Lego Company sold those parks before their near collapse - they were part of their near collapse.

Monster Fighters didn't do well either...sad, really.

The Doctor Who teaser did not include any references to Ideas, so some have speculated a larger spinoff theme like Minecraft.

I think licensing will keep SD alive longer, though. Years of episodes and monsters gives them a lot more material than the restrictive Universal Monsters.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Monster Fighters did amazingly well. If anything it helped convince Lego that a Scooby Doo line would be successful too. Heck we are getting a monster themed CMF wave--If Monster Fighters was not successful, would we be getting that?

In regards to Dr. Who and Scooby Doo--it's a bit too early to be saying that the former is far more successful because of it got a teaser video. We have almost no information on Dr. Who, while we know we are getting a full Scooby Doo wave. If anything, the teaser is just to remind everyone that Lego is in fact making Dr. Who, considering they approved the project so long ago at this point--at least it seems that way. The Dr. Who set(s) could come out any time too--and we know we won't get Scooby Doo until September(ish); so even then it's early to promote the latter.

I suppose I was too general, then. So it was quite popular. MF didn't have more than one wave, though, but that's a result of the source materials. One wave included all of the classic monsters, so they ran out of material rather quickly. This theme is based on a show with wider variety and greater creativity, so hopefully it should get one more wave at the very least.

It doesn't come out until fall, there's really no reason to promote it so early. And when the time comes there's already promotion in place, they're going to air a TV special to tie in with the theme, plus WB has Lego Scooby Doo DTV movies already in the works. They'll promote it when it's actually going to be released.

And that Doctor Who teaser is barely a teaser at all. Literally it's just a video of a head. Meanwhile Scooby Doo has been advertised at several toy fairs and in several notable news publications and has good word of mouth not to mention all of the sets have been officially revealed. So the Scooby Doo advertising so far is a lot more than anything we've had for Doctor Who.

Edited by strangely

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Monster Fighters did amazingly well. If anything it helped convince Lego that a Scooby Doo line would be successful too. Heck we are getting a monster themed CMF wave--If Monster Fighters was not successful, would we be getting that?

In regards to Dr. Who and Scooby Doo--it's a bit too early to be saying that the former is far more successful because of it got a teaser video. We have almost no information on Dr. Who, while we know we are getting a full Scooby Doo wave. If anything, the teaser is just to remind everyone that Lego is in fact making Dr. Who, considering they approved the project so long ago at this point--at least it seems that way. The Dr. Who set(s) could come out any time too--and we know we won't get Scooby Doo until September(ish); so even then it's early to promote the latter.

Yes, with MF being a failure, we would still be getting CMF Monster wave for one of the reasons I stated (release around Halloween season).

The monsters in the CMF would have done better than the MF line. For one I didn't recall seeing MF sets in Amazon's top sellers list and 2 the MF story was way too in depth for kids. Kids don't seem to like vintage things and as one poster pointed out in this thread or another thread or somewhere else on another site, MF was more attractive to adults than it was kids.

The fact that I always seen MF sets at the Disney location is pivotal because Downtown Disney in Florida attracts a large international audience (bigger than California's parks actually and that's from a Disney worker himself). I seen parents from other countries literally stocking up on the larger sets because LEGO is sold much higher in Europe than here in the U.S. (149 euros is nowhere near the same as 149 us dollars).

One of the people I met from another country explained that they travel to America so they can buy products because it's much cheaper to ship it back to Europe then buying it in their own countries.

I don't quite see Scooby Doo being the hit it was. Yes there is a lot of inspiration to draw from. But when you look at the other toy licenses what do you see? Universal Studios Monsters and Zombies. There is a reason for that.

Monster High has a much better chance of success for MegaBloks than Scooby Doo does for LEGO and LEGO's own books about the Friends line and even Amazon's sales data can verify that. Plus its known in any market girls have a lot more marketing power (Justin Beiber anyone?) . But the MH Megabloks will also be riding off of Lego's coattails since they're due the same timeframe as the Scooby sets.

I still recall a lot of naysayers who said Scooby will never be made into a set yet those of us who study rumors and business statistics and everything else were able to agree with the rumor starter that Scooby Doo would be more likely to be made into a set.

If you read some of the stuff from the designer of the Haunted House, and that's guy's original concepts for the MF theme from 2010, you'd realize Scooby was the original idea for MF. Scooby will do well, I have no doubts about that, but will it merit a second or third wave? Will it outlast the theme Ninjasgo which is so popular it was renewed when it was slated for cancellation? That's a big statement.

Also, the reason why LEGO released the MF line and not the Scooby Doo line is because... gasp... COBI has had a working relationship with Warner Bros for some time so naturally they would have entitlement to Scooby Doo building sets first. (see http://www.ltwmag.com/news/news_2012/character_group_awarded_licence_for_scoobydoo_construction_toys.aspx)

Trust me, market share and competitive advantage are all big factors when releasing products. Should have WB gave the rights to COBI over LEGO? No because LEGO is a much bigger name for construction toys. But TLC was still a pretty unstable company and it wasn't until the Friends line until it was able to pick back up and of course The Lego Movie that made it the dominant force it is today.

About this time, in May I believe in 2012 the first MF site was released. If LEGO stays on schedule we should be seeing a Scooby site, which I'm guessing comes with its own online game. The next Club magazine will also likely mention it even briefly (MF premiered in the May-June 2012 issues only as a game and then officially appeared on the cover and dominated the July-August issue of 2012).

Well.... CMF Series 14 is monster themed.

I think that means MF did good, and the horror theme proved to be successful

We never said SD would become a regular theme on par with Ninjago. Nobody's expecting that. But it should merit two waves at least, and possibly a three-set smaller wave like the Ultra Agents theme.

Yes, with MF being a failure, we would still be getting CMF Monster wave for one of the reasons I stated (release around Halloween season).

The monsters in the CMF would have done better than the MF line. For one I didn't recall seeing MF sets in Amazon's top sellers list and 2 the MF story was way too in depth for kids. Kids don't seem to like vintage things and as one poster pointed out in this thread or another thread or somewhere else on another site, MF was more attractive to adults than it was kids.

The fact that I always seen MF sets at the Disney location is pivotal because Downtown Disney in Florida attracts a large international audience (bigger than California's parks actually and that's from a Disney worker himself). I seen parents from other countries literally stocking up on the larger sets because LEGO is sold much higher in Europe than here in the U.S. (149 euros is nowhere near the same as 149 us dollars).

Again...Monster Fighters was a success--that's known by many and most members of the community--if it was a failure they would have scrapped the Haunted House. If it was a failure, you would not have been able to see Lego still producing and selling the theme's sets months later (Not back stock--new sets--Lego would never have made so many sets for the seasonal theme otherwise). And the success on MF is not based on how many waves it got--not all themes are meant to have more than one wave--if anything, MF was a seasonal wave; it obviously sold best in October, and so there's no point in selling it in June or December.

Second--Amazon lists do not determine the sales of an entire wave. And story wise--look me at me with a straight face and tell me that the MF story was so much more complicated than Ninjago is! :laugh:

If you read some of the stuff from the designer of the Haunted House, and that's guy's original concepts for the MF theme from 2010, you'd realize Scooby was the original idea for MF. Scooby will do well, I have no doubts about that, but will it merit a second or third wave? Will it outlast the theme Ninjasgo which is so popular it was renewed when it was slated for cancellation? That's a big statement.

Also, the reason why LEGO released the MF line and not the Scooby Doo line is because... gasp... COBI has had a working relationship with Warner Bros for some time so naturally they would have entitlement to Scooby Doo building sets first. (see http://www.ltwmag.co...ction_toys.aspx)

Trust me, market share and competitive advantage are all big factors when releasing products. Should have WB gave the rights to COBI over LEGO? No because LEGO is a much bigger name for construction toys. But TLC was still a pretty unstable company and it wasn't until the Friends line until it was able to pick back up and of course The Lego Movie that made it the dominant force it is today.

I don't think anyone is expecting this wave (or frankly many waves) to end up being as lasting as Ninjago is. A theme like Ninjago with that stain power is not something that comes around often. We saw this from Chima, which was obviously not as successful as Ninjago--since the latter is coming back to replace it. Regardless, I think it's unrealistic to expect that the Scooby Doo theme will get four waves and a movie like Ninjago (or however many waves they're on now). But that's not the point--Scooby Doo is not going to fail just because it is not going to get fifty waves.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at with these comments. You seem to think the wave will crash and burn at one minute and be a success at another. And for someone with an apparent Lego Monster Fan site, you seem to have a vendetta against the Monster Fighters theme. You seem very against this theme, while most other people cannot wait for it.

Personally, I'm completely excited. I love monsters, so this theme, the CMFS, and MF have been perfect for me. But I think this theme will be larger than MF because there are many more possibilities with this theme compared to the limited MF line. There are some nice new parts, some great figures, and nice builds. I'll want every set in the theme, and I can see it being fairly popular. Since it's SD, they can go beyond the typical Halloween monsters, and make sets with other monsters like a sasquatch (recolored yeti-please make this) or some of the quirky monsters created by the show, like Cutler or the 10,000 Volt Ghost.

Its not an "apparent" Monster site, it exists at wskel.com.

I loved the monsters from MF - I hated the monster fighters.

They would have ton of ideas to draw from to have made a second wave of MF.

First, the storyline involved a witch. So a witch's cottage would have been great. Coyotes, not manbats were suppose to guard the castle. The Mummy could have been given a tomb and not just a chariot - Mummies in the monster lines always get shafted and given smaller sets. Not to mention we could have had a MF headquarters. I believe the MF leader was in his own castle.

Instead we had a bunch of MF vehicles that took away from what could have made the monster sets better.

I can see them doing one more wave for Scooby Doo as they're missing a few vital spooky locations. I'm thinking a castle, a graveyard, a ghost ship, a circus/theme park and maybe an abandoned mine would round out the theme well.

I'm hoping to see Charlie, Miner Forty-Niner, Spooky Space Kook, the creeper and Redbeard make it into sets. Really a CMF for this theme would be awesome (But I doubt that'll happen for now unless these turn out to be majorly popular). I could also see them doing a few sets when the next movie comes out.

I can see them doing one more wave for Scooby Doo as they're missing a few vital spooky locations. I'm thinking a castle, a graveyard, a ghost ship, a circus/theme park and maybe an abandoned mine would round out the theme well.

I'm hoping to see Charlie, Miner Forty-Niner, Spooky Space Kook, the creeper and Redbeard make it into sets. Really a CMF for this theme would be awesome (But I doubt that'll happen for now unless these turn out to be majorly popular). I could also see them doing a few sets when the next movie comes out.

I agree. We need a spooky circus and mine. A real ghost ship and not just a skeleton or zombie ship would be great. It wouldn't hurt to have another castle and graveyard.

With a TV show and a third live action movie in the future, not to mention the decades of history, I can see this lasting longer than TMNT. That is the comparison we should be making. Ninjago and Chima are in house, so the comparisons don't make sense. MF was based on Scooby, but the monsters outshined the fighters. Here the gang are established characters, and there are enough villain characters to spread out through multiple waves. There is also the potential for new villain characters in the show.

This theme has a lot of source material. If this wave sells good, I don't see why can't get more sets.

But please, no more licensed CMF :sceptic:

This theme has a lot of source material. If this wave sells good, I don't see why can't get more sets.

But please, no more licensed CMF :sceptic:

You're right, there is a ton of source material. The problem is that it would easily get repetitive as there's many similar locations and monsters. I'd like to see this theme go on for some time, but realistically I think two is probably what we'll get. Maybe more if that new show is a hit.

As for the CMF I think it's the only way we'll get the monsters we want. There's a lot of iconic monsters in the franchise it might be impossible to get a fair number of them from sets alone.

Edited by strangely

You're right, there is a ton of source material. The problem is that it would easily get repetitive as there's many similar locations and monsters. I'd like to see this theme go on for some time, but realistically I think two is probably what we'll get. Maybe more if that new show is a hit.

Star Wars is really repetitive too and still sells well. Practically every wave they have a redone set. Not to mention almost all of the sets are ships.