TheLazyChicken

Scooby-Doo 2015 Rumours & Discussion

I have to admit I do want the Swamp Monster now that his face print looks so amazing. I was sure I didn't want the Lighthouse set; but now? And the face reminds me of like a Yeti or a monster from Samurai Jack. Well than and Penguin! I too hope the rest look like Batman villains in disguise!

Ooo! I cannot wait to build Batman & Scooby Doo MOCs!

That could be. The LEGO Scooby episode could have necessitated the Mummy and Swamp Monster. But if no one recognizes the monster or his Penguin-lookalike identity, then I would guess it's from the new show. Honestly, I think the theme is a mismarketed umbrella, taking inspiration from many sources.

I think they're trying to avoid using too many classic villains at once, hence the wide variety of inspiration. Based on the TV special and several movies planned for release over years I'm guessing they intend to do more than one wave and are trying to keep a few classic monsters so they can stretch the theme as long as needed. I mean they've already used three very iconic monsters from the original show(So iconic the shows recycle them every so often) and one of the more recognizable monsters from the Scooby Doo show. Had they stuck to just Where Are You monsters they'd be almost halfway through the iconic monsters from that series (Some of the generic monsters I tend not to count).

That makes a lot of sense. They're saving Cutler, the Space Kook and the Ghost Clown (for example) for future waves. PLEASE let there be future waves!

I'm probably going to borrow the bi-plane design for my Johnny Thunder MOCs. In the future though, I want the Headless Specter in a set... he was (and remains!) my favorite Scooby Doo monster. Well, that and the 10,00 Volt ghost. :grin:

I think they're trying to avoid using too many classic villains at once, hence the wide variety of inspiration. Based on the TV special and several movies planned for release over years I'm guessing they intend to do more than one wave and are trying to keep a few classic monsters so they can stretch the theme as long as needed. I mean they've already used three very iconic monsters from the original show(So iconic the shows recycle them every so often) and one of the more recognizable monsters from the Scooby Doo show. Had they stuck to just Where Are You monsters they'd be almost halfway through the iconic monsters from that series (Some of the generic monsters I tend not to count).

They did this with LOTR, saved a lot of the good stuff :tongue::grin::cry3:.

On a more serious note I don think it will get more than 2 waves.

Like Capt Nemo said above, as soon as I saw the pics of these sets the first thing I thought of was Batman AND Scooby Doo Mocs. Its going to be awesome, and seeing the swamp monsters "Penguin" face, only confirms that these Scooby sets should be mixed with Batman. The Mansion has a greenhouse for Poison Ivy, plus that new CMF plant figure coming out, it will be perfect. I think if I remember correctly, there was a Batman, Scooby Doo, crossover episode or mini-series back in the day, not sure.

Edited by Dunedain

Like Capt Nemo said above, as soon as I saw the pics of these sets the first thing I thought of was Batman AND Scooby Doo Mocs. Its going to be awesome, and seeing the swamp monsters "Penguin" face, only confirms that these Scooby sets should be mixed with Batman. The Mansion has a greenhouse for Poison Ivy, plus that new CMF plant figure coming out, it will be perfect. I think if I remember correctly, there was a Batman, Scooby Doo, crossover episode or mini-series back in the day, not sure.

Good point! One of the Scooby Movies TV shows (1 hour TV episodes with special 'guest stars') had Batman and Robin solving a mystery with the gang, and when the monsters were unmasked they were the Joker and Penguin!

Good point! One of the Scooby Movies TV shows (1 hour TV episodes with special 'guest stars') had Batman and Robin solving a mystery with the gang, and when the monsters were unmasked they were the Joker and Penguin!

Actually Batman and Robin appeared in two episodes of the New Scooby Doo Movies both episodes featured the Penguin and Joker. It even featured the Batplane, Batmobile, Batcave, and Joker Funhouse. The episodes were A Caped Crusader Caper and The Dynamic Scooby Doo Affair, both great episodes

Oddly......why do all the vehicles have the same paint jobs as the Mystery Machine ?

Their own version of International Rescue ? :laugh: (The Mystery Machine is that SD 1 ? :laugh: )

Well the new show is using some of the classic monsters. A recent preview showed that one episode is using the Ghost of Elias Kingston, so there is some possibility the show is reusing older monsters (Maybe the show is more along the lines of a remake or reboot). So it is possible some of these monsters are classic monsters that have been reused in the new show. But I tend to believe Lego based some them directly on the original source material.

The Zombie and Vampire are completely the same to the original show. The Black Knight is also a really close match even having the same eye color as the show version, the only difference is the helmet, but that might simply be due to Lego using existing inventory for it. Headless Horseman is a complete match too.

The Mummy, the Swamp Monster and the Lighthouse Keeper are the three that aren't a direct match. The lighthouse keeper is very similar to the Creepy Keeper. Same colors, same hair and beard. The differences are the belt, and the lack of hat (Though the hat could be missing as the hairpiece makes it impossible to use a hat). The Mummy isn't an exact match either. The museum setting does link it to the Mummy of Ankha, but the headdress was not present in that episode. The headdress was used in What's New Scooby Doo, but that Mummy wasn't as plain as this one. I think it's highly possible the Mummy and Swamp Monster are from something new.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these monsters were created to be used in the special episode that they're supposed to air later this year.

Meh, the zombie and headless horseman have some unnecessary wardrobe color changes that make them different to their cartoon appearances. And the black knight is a knight - difficult to do differently anyway, and yet the designers made him different, not black and with another style of helmet. The vampire is the only perfect match.

Your words of a preview are very intriguing, though - do you have a link to it?

Meh, the zombie and headless horseman have some unnecessary wardrobe color changes that make them different to their cartoon appearances. And the black knight is a knight - difficult to do differently anyway, and yet the designers made him different, not black and with another style of helmet. The vampire is the only perfect match.

The Zombie is exactly the same.

SDVillan5.gif

Other than the shoes I'm not seeing how they could be anymore similar.

scooby-headless-horseman.jpg

And the only difference with the headless horseman seems to be the purple cape which should be dark blue instead.

Black_Knight_(What_a_Night_for_a_Knight).png

The Black Knight is dark grey in the original episode, just as the minifigure is. Even the glowing eyes are the same between the two. The only difference I'm seeing is the grille on the helmet. Lego does produce a more accurate helmet, however it's grille is also wrong, and Lego does not produce it in dark pearl grey. It is entirely possible that Lego used this helmet because it was already being produced in the correct color. And they chose to call it the Black Knight, so even if it's not completely accurate to the cartoon I'm thinking they still intended it to be that monster. We'll know for sure when we finally get a shot of the Black Knight unmasked. He should have printing on the other side of his head. Also it appears he has printing underneath the armor, at least that's what one of the closeups of him from toy fair seemed to indicate.

Your words of a preview are very intriguing, though - do you have a link to it?

There's been no full trailer yet. The only footage shown so far has been coming from promo's for the Boomerang network.

Edited by strangely

It's a shame the purple cape extends to the Horseman's torso printing-otherwise, I would have switched it out for Laval's.

So which monster is your favorite? I'd have to say Dracula or the Swamp Monster. I do really like the Mummy and Horseman, though, and the Zombie and Black Knight are nice. The Lighthouse Keeper's a bit of a disappointment, though. He would look so much better with a hat or a cape. I'm a sucker for monster minifigures, though, so I do have to say I like all of them. :grin:

Edited by 8BrickMario

It's a shame the purple cape extends to the Horseman's torso printing-otherwise, I would have switched it out for Laval's.

Agree. He needed the S13 King cape all in purple

The Zombie is exactly the same.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/Riverside_King83/SDVillan5.gif

Other than the shoes I'm not seeing how they could be anymore similar.

[https://chroniclesofdad.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/scooby-headless-horseman.jpg

And the only difference with the headless horseman seems to be the purple cape which should be dark blue instead.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130503034803/scoobydoo/images/6/62/Black_Knight_(What_a_Night_for_a_Knight).png

The Black Knight is dark grey in the original episode, just as the minifigure is. Even the glowing eyes are the same between the two. The only difference I'm seeing is the grille on the helmet. Lego does produce a more accurate helmet, however it's grille is also wrong, and Lego does not produce it in dark pearl grey. It is entirely possible that Lego used this helmet because it was already being produced in the correct color. And they chose to call it the Black Knight, so even if it's not completely accurate to the cartoon I'm thinking they still intended it to be that monster. We'll know for sure when we finally get a shot of the Black Knight unmasked. He should have printing on the other side of his head. Also it appears he has printing underneath the armor, at least that's what one of the closeups of him from toy fair seemed to indicate.

There's been no full trailer yet. The only footage shown so far has been coming from promo's for the Boomerang network.

Thanks for the preview. Interestning they are opting for at least one rehashed monster.

True, the black knight isnt actually black (I guess i mixed him up with the 70s one). Still missing the plume but this I dont see as that big of a deal.

As for the zombie, I was referring to how he looked in the show:

scooby-doo-zombie.jpg

I was wondering why would the designers change the colors if it was the same monster, but now I see they are the same as in the pic of the zombie you posted. Curious.

The purple cape on the headless horseman could be more easily explained, I imagine the designer wanted to give him more color.

Another possibility is that these monsters will also be rehashed, with a slightly modified look as captured by the LEGO designers.

I was wondering why would the designers change the colors if it was the same monster, but now I see they are the same as in the pic of the zombie you posted. Curious.

The Zombie being used in the set was introduced in the TV special Night Of The Living Doo. It was a parody episode essentially (The Zombie unmasked was Jabberjaw). Since then they've used this particular design in a lot of the merchandising. Truthfully I prefer this coloring over the original.

True, the black knight isnt actually black (I guess i mixed him up with the 70s one). Still missing the plume but this I dont see as that big of a deal.

His red plume is present as far as I can tell. Really Lego would have to sculpt a new helmet for him if they wanted complete accuracy. The other Knight helmets they have aren't quite right either, the grille on all the others aren't accurate to the show either. Really I'm a little disappointed they just didn't give us a new helmet, but I can live with it.

The purple cape on the headless horseman could be more easily explained, I imagine the designer wanted to give him more color.

I tend to agree. Dark blue on regular blue is visually kind of bland, so I actually prefer the purple cape.

Thanks for the preview. Interestning they are opting for at least one rehashed monster.

You're welcome. It is interesting they're reusing Elias Kingston, it makes me wonder if this show is supposed to be more of a modern remake of the original series or a reboot of some kind.

Edited by strangely

That Johnny Thunder picture is rather interesting. The 1922 date is when Howard Carter opened the seal and unleashed the curse of Tutankhamen. That sets things up perfectly for Jack Raine and Pharaoh's Quest, and gives a definite real world parallel plot timeline.

Unknown: Swamp Monster (This character might be from something new as there doesn't seem to be an existing monster it matches. People keep on mistaking it as the Moat Monster, but that monster had red eyes and no purple)

I think he based is on the Moat Monster from "Scooby-Doo On Zombie Island"

I can't post a picture because a "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." message keeps appearing. Just google it.

Edited by Robert8

It's not quite close enough. The Moat Monster has zero lavender on it, while this one has a lavender head, belly, and hands. The box also labels it as "Swamp Monster", while the vampire's name is from the cartoon, as "Dracula", so we can assume the names refer to the specific monsters. Since the Lighthouse Keeper is not described as "Creepy", it might be another version.

Edited by 8BrickMario

To Robert8

I was having the same problem in flickr, you need to get the deep link for that image, go to the image file properties and copy the actual exact link and add to the image button from the toolbox here in the answer box. Hope it helps.

Edited by CustomJoe_MD

I had an idea for more variations they could do the outfits from the late 90's early 2000's films, the what's new versions, mystery inc/2010's films variation or pup names scooby doo

I'm hoping they do that down the line. I actually think they missed out on a chance to do that this wave. The lighthouse could have easily used the 80's variations of the characters.

c480x270_58.jpg

For Daphne all they'd need is a new torso and an unprinted version of her hair. Shaggy would be even easier as he'd need a color swapped torso and a pair of blue legs. Throw in Scrappy and we'd have a great set of variations. I would like to have Scrappy, molded like the chihuahua from the CMF.

On a side note Vincent Van Ghoul would be a pretty awesome minifigure to get at some point. Even though I dislike the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo I would still love the character to appear in a set if for no other reason than it would be great to have a Vincent Price minifigure.

I doubt a Scrappy fig would be in high demand. There's a reason TV Tropes uses his name to describe an unintentionally hated character. Personally, I hope they stick with the classic nostalgia and stick closer to the original show, since those designs are the most recognizable and iconic.