Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 14 Rumors and Discussion

Well, first of all, every series has it's detractors and fans, but really what happens is most of the comments here have been positive overall - sure, some people nit-pick about individual figures or features of a figure, but that doesn't mean they don't like the series, or even the figure they're talking about (just commenting they wish it had been done better). That seems like complaining when it's really just discussing. But when someone posts something negative, it just seems to stand out... a vocal minority.

Also, for all the gripes, you go back and look at all the reviews with polls, you'll see that, one after another, each series was rated as either "above average" or "outstanding." Of course, objectively that's not really possible.... they can't all be above average. So there's a bias towards "new and exciting."

I don't like this series - when I heard about it being a monster oriented theme, I had high hopes. I know it's LEGO, but I wanted more serious monsters (like the previous series vampire, mummy, Frankenstein's monster, wolfman - even figures like the minotaur and gorgon... even the "spooky girl" harkens to the modern era of horror movies). I don't like this series overall because it's just too cartoony. Well, they geared it towards the kids... that's what they do, so I shrug and accept it.

But I keep looking at this thread, because I still see some potential; there are figures I will get.

I understand your point, but I see a very big use for a lot of minifigures... so I am eagerly excited.

Plant-man, gargoyle, spider woman, spectre, bigfoot, banshee zombie pirate and fly...there 8 out of 16 that are interesting to me... it never occurred in previous series.

Context-wise, the Gargoyle and Bigfoot minifigures are the easiest to take out of a Halloween scene. The Plant Monster and Gargoyle are going to be the most versatile. So the Gargoyle's the winner in terms of usefulness. I am very tempted to make a web-filled room MOC for the Spider Lady.

Most of the minifigures are indeed limiting, but there are still a few useful parts (black cat, Specter's grey robes, ZB hair, etc.). So I think LEGO has managed to pull off a themed series while still creating minifigures that might be desirable to people who don't like the concept.

I don't think that I can think of 16 "serious" monsters / classic horror that are well known enough for a CMF series, that haven't already been done in previous CMF series. Unless you go licensed modern horror, but that's not exactly kid friendly.

I don't think that I can think of 16 "serious" monsters / classic horror that are well known enough for a CMF series, that haven't already been done in previous CMF series. Unless you go licensed modern horror, but that's not exactly kid friendly.

Yes, there are.

But for some reason, they chose to make another cheerleader instead of the Bride of Frankenstein, or another Crazy Scientist instead of Igor, por example.

Besides, this series is being released simultaneously with the Scooby Doo theme and some classic monsters that would be new in the CMF theme are being used there, like the Headless Horseman and the Swamp Creature.

Edited by Robert8

But some new, non-Halloweenish monsters are included to have something for the people who don't like the regular ones. It's a tradeoff. More unique monsters, or selling to more people by pushing the boundaries?

But some new, non-Halloweenish monsters are included to have something for the people who don't like the regular ones. It's a tradeoff. More unique monsters, or selling to more people by pushing the boundaries?

They don't have to push anything because remember, this is not a Halloween themed series, but LEGO Minifigures Series 14: Monsters. So, the door is open for any kind of monsters, despite being or not Halloween-related

Argos-Fall-Summer-Fall-Catalog-2015-Page-1-131.jpg

MAB posted about classic/horror monster vs made-up monsters, like the Plant Guy or the Horror Rocker

That's why I said, some of the classic well-known mosnters were taken by the Scooby Doo theme, like the Headless Horseman or the Swamp Creature

Edited by Robert8

As a huge Lego minifigures fan and collector ( I have all series up to date, including simpsons), I must say that I was excited when I heard that this is going to be a monster themed series. When the first sets of leaks came out, I was thinking that these must be some sort of custom figs. You gotta be joking right? I mean Lego have higher standard than this, so far I'm impressed with all the minifigures up to date, including the simpsons. And to think of the possibilities, I was prepare to think that Lego would do something much more original, costumes or non costume minifigures, but seeing that everything is pretty much confirmed now. I am a tad disappointed that it is repeat after repeat. I may still buy some of the ones I like (like the gargoyle), but other than that, this may be the only series where I will not get the full set. I just feel that the combination of some of the figures are just too awkward (for e.g. the spider lady, a cool fig.. but that hair... just make her look awful, would be better if it was straight hair. And then there are the others.. sigh. There is still a glimmer of hope that the final pics will change my opinion. I highly doubt it though as some of these look to be pretty final.

This will be the second Series I buy all 16 of, and the 9th series where I buy multiples of some of the figures. It's gonna be great. Gonna buy, like 3 of that plant guy. Make 1 big plant. Couple of witches, a bunch of gargoyles... you get the idea.

Yes, there are.

But for some reason, they chose to make another cheerleader instead of the Bride of Frankenstein, or another Crazy Scientist instead of Igor, por example.

Besides, this series is being released simultaneously with the Scooby Doo theme and some classic monsters that would be new in the CMF theme are being used there, like the Headless Horseman and the Swamp Creature.

Agreed; they've missed a lot of monsters and, as you pointed out, side-kicks and other counter-parts, like a Van Helsing figure, Renfield, or even Dr. Frankenstein. Again, I understand why they went the direction they did, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it; and this is a discussion forum, so we're just discussing it.

I've long since stopped asking why people like a series - there's always someone who feels like they have a use for the figures, either whole or in part, and some people obsess over accessories. While I've seen a few interesting things, I just don't normally see it that way. I want good, whole figures. But I realize that's just me. The only time I cannibalize them is when I'm using multiples and want, for example, different heads or hair. like the luau show in my signature.

Agreed; they've missed a lot of monsters and, as you pointed out, side-kicks and other counter-parts, like a Van Helsing figure, Renfield, or even Dr. Frankenstein. Again, I understand why they went the direction they did, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it; and this is a discussion forum, so we're just discussing it.

I've long since stopped asking why people like a series - there's always someone who feels like they have a use for the figures, either whole or in part, and some people obsess over accessories. While I've seen a few interesting things, I just don't normally see it that way. I want good, whole figures. But I realize that's just me. The only time I cannibalize them is when I'm using multiples and want, for example, different heads or hair. like the luau show in my signature.

The only question I have with the characters you've suggested is... Would those be recognizable to kids?

I'm someone who falls into the group of obsessing over (holdable) accessories. But unfortunately, Lego seems to prefer making new headpieces, which seems unfair to me considering there are just as many ideas for new accessory molds as there are headpiece molds. Granted, I do enjoy the new headpieces, and I also enjoy ingenious ways of reusing molds such as the Skeleton Boy's pumpkin basket. But it's always upsetting for me when a series has only one new accessory, or seemingly in Series 14's case, none. So this series leaves me less than excited for that reason, despite liking the figures for other reasons.

I understand your point, but I see a very big use for a lot of minifigures... so I am eagerly excited.

Plant-man, gargoyle, spider woman, spectre, bigfoot, banshee zombie pirate and fly...there 8 out of 16 that are interesting to me... it never occurred in previous series.

For me, it's exactly the same list, only minus the plant-man. There were also 8 which interested me in Series 13... I ended up buying 6 of them.

Yes, there are.

That is two out of sixteen (and both ones that would be top of my list), the other 14 are a little harder to fill (i) without repeating earlier CMF series, or MF, or Scooby Doo, or (ii) losing the appeal to new buyers. For some, this will be the first line, for others they will have all the previous CMF monsters and MF. If it was just sidekicks to previous CMFs, people would be complaining that they cannot get the originals and there is no point buying these ones.

The same could be said the other way around about why people don't like a series. There are always some people that feel they don't have a use for the whole figures or their parts or their accessories. There is not a single series where I have not liked any of the whole figures, much less a series where I have not liked any of the parts. These figures keep on selling, so people obviously enjoy them. They sell well in retail stores, they sell well on ebay. They sell well on bricklink - CMF are in the top ten grossing sets on bricklink sharing space with 5 UCS SW and 4 modulars. I expect the same will be true for this series.

I get you don't like them - move on, and find something you do like, there are plenty of other lego sets available.

The only question I have with the characters you've suggested is... Would those be recognizable to kids?

Indeed, what does van Helsing look like? Hugh Jackman style coat and hat or a more classic Christopher Lee man in a smart suit. Renfield - man in rags or white shirt and braces? These are not really recognisable characters like the monsters.

They don't have to push anything because remember, this is not a Halloween themed series, but LEGO Minifigures Series 14: Monsters. So, the door is open for any kind of monsters, despite being or not Halloween-related

It is marketed as Monsters, but it is fairly clear why they are doing it at this time of year. I've noted it already here and others probably have too that if they call it Halloween, then they immediately place a sell-by date on it. Retail stores will feel it necessary to discount once end of October comes. If some locations don't get these until the start of October, that gives the series a month on the shelves. Better to brand it as Monsters and the need to discount unsold Halloween stock goes away and the series can stand next to Scooby Doo on the shelves.

MAB posted about classic/horror monster vs made-up monsters, like the Plant Guy or the Horror Rocker

I actually think the made up ones are some of the best in the series. The zombie business man and cheerleader and the werewolf are great at looking back at earlier series for those that collected them, at the same time as giving something new (same for pirate, but I prefer the other two zombies). Some might say it is the third zombie business man (including the brown-suited MF pack). For me, that is good variation for a zombie hoard, where you need a number. That's much better than yet another vampire, for example. I love the plant guy, I find him quite innovative. And replacing the head with a plain red or dark pink will turn it from costume to monster easily enough. The tiger woman is superb, and likely to appeal to many given the popularity of animal suit figures.

Is there really a difference between business men and zombi business men? ;-)

"We're optimizing ROI in key growth markets in the 3rd quarter by spearheading innovative brain-eating initiatives across horizontally-integrated platforms."

Edited by Tragic Banjo

I think the main classic, marketable monsters are all in this series, and that's what counts. Despite the umbrella title, this is clearly a Halloween series, so everyone is going to expect a vampire, werewolf. witch, ghost, zombie, and monster somewhere in the lineup. These are new takes on the monsters kids know and love, and the others are still recognizable enough. While a Phantom (Opera) figure would be great, it would seem too AFOL-aimed, and most kids (the primary target audience, like it or not) wouldn't care about it.

What LEGO is doing with the concept is cashing in on the Scooby-Doo shelf sharing. They've redone figures, and made some new characters. If you don't like the series, there's nothing forcing you to buy them and then complain about how awful they are. They're just trying to appeal to kids and hopefully make some money from adult consumers, too. If this series fails, then we'll be back to normal after a Disney derailment and LEGO won't collapse. They're taking a risk, and if it hurts them, it won't destroy them.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Bride of Frankenstein would be ideal for a line like this (ditto the Phantom of the Opera), but it's entirely possible that the widely recognizable aspects of these characters (tall "lightning bolt" hair, half or full face mask, etc) would infringe on copyrights owned by Universal or Lloyd Webber etc since they created certain aspects of the character or portrayal of the character. I'm willing to bet these iconic designs were among the first listed as possibilities when the line was first conceived by Lego, but almost certainly ran into legal / intellectual property conflicts at some point. It stinks but that's how it goes sometimes.

:classic: I don't care. We're talking about what we would like to see in a monster series, but also with the understanding that these are not being marketed to us.

I get you don't like them - move on, and find something you do like, there are plenty of other lego sets available.

I don't like when people take that tact... we're just discussing the latest series and, in this case, the potential we think they missed out on. There are several figures I do like in this series, even if I will have to change out some parts. It's just the worst, IMO, since TLM... maybe even worse than that. With the exception of TGB and TLM (and Mr. Gold), I have the full collection of every other CMF made (including some of TLM), including the Simpsons, in custom displays - I like collecting them and showing them off. I'm allowed to be disappointed, and I'm allowed to discuss that disappointment in a discussion forum... that's what it's here for.

It is marketed as Monsters, but it is fairly clear why they are doing it at this time of year. I've noted it already here and others probably have too that if they call it Halloween, then they immediately place a sell-by date on it. Retail stores will feel it necessary to discount once end of October comes. If some locations don't get these until the start of October, that gives the series a month on the shelves. Better to brand it as Monsters and the need to discount unsold Halloween stock goes away and the series can stand next to Scooby Doo on the shelves.

I think it has more to do with different cultures.... some places just don't celebrate Halloween, and few places celebrate it like we do in the U.S. and some European countries; I think it's more like calling the Christmas sets "Winter" or "Holiday" sets when they are quite obviously Christmas themed, even coming with Santa and Christmas trees. But I think you're right - it's quite obviously Halloween, they're just not calling it that.

I feel like the Zombie Businessman's hair was a huge missed opportunity. If they had only reversed the design, they could have had an updated hairpiece for Two-Face...Perhaps the back is too messy all around for that to work, though.

Edited by 8BrickMario

That is two out of sixteen (and both ones that would be top of my list), the other 14 are a little harder to fill (i) without repeating earlier CMF series, or MF, or Scooby Doo, or (ii) losing the appeal to new buyers. For some, this will be the first line, for others they will have all the previous CMF monsters and MF. If it was just sidekicks to previous CMFs, people would be complaining that they cannot get the originals and there is no point buying these ones.

Those were just 2 examples.

A more extensive list would be: The Mutant, the Bride of Frankenstein, Mothman, the Phantom of the Opera, Igor, Lady Vampire, a Banshee, the Headless Horseman, a Zombie Girl, the Swamp Creature, the Invisible Man, the Ghost Pirate, the Fly, the Bogeyman, a Classic Ghost, a Ghoul, a Voodoo Doll, the Grim Reaper, an Imp and a Scarecrow (a spooky one).

Of course, I suppose they considered at least some of these while working on the series but, for one reason or another, they chose the 16 minifigures we are getting.

Or maybe there is no reason at all and they just wanted to make a wacky/cartoonish CMF series instead.

Anyway, my point is that there are more than 16 monsters that would be new for the CMF theme.

I feel like the Zombie Businessman's hair was a huge missed opportunity. If they had only reversed the design, they could have had an updated hairpiece for Two-Face...Perhaps the back is too messy all around for that to work, though.

What are the chances these are not finals?

Look at Bigfoot and the already discussed lack of printing. Or the Gargoyle, it has a lot of speckles and cracks printed in the head and torso to of printing to make him look like a stone, but the wings have nothing. They are totally plain.

Besides, what kind of event is this to reveal a CMF series? They didn't have the entire series on display and some are missing accessories like the Zombie Businessman and they are mixed with The Simpsons series 2.

A more extensive list would be: The Mutant, the Bride of Frankenstein, Mothman, the Phantom of the Opera, Igor, Lady Vampire, a Banshee, the Headless Horseman, a Zombie Girl, the Swamp Creature, the Invisible Man, the Ghost Pirate, the Fly, the Bogeyman, a Classic Ghost, a Ghoul, a Voodoo Doll, the Grim Reaper, an Imp and a Scarecrow (a spooky one).

The bolded ones have reasons for not being here.

Swamp Creature-remade for Scooby-Doo

Invisible Man- Covered by Invizable in Ultra Agents

Ghost Pirate- LotR and PotC both did elements of this.

Classic Ghost- rereleased for Scooby-Doo, difficult to redo originally.

The underlined characters are arguably less specific or challenging to make into unique designs. However, I'd love a Voodoo Doll and scary scarecrow, as well as Igor and an operatic Phantom.

What are the chances these are not finals?

Look at Bigfoot and the already discussed lack of printing. Or the Gargoyle, it has a lot of speckles and cracks printed in the head and torso to of printing to make him look like a stone, but the wings have nothing. They are totally plain.

Besides, what kind of event is this to reveal a CMF series? They didn't have the entire series on display and some are missing accessories like the Zombie Businessman and they are mixed with The Simpsons series 2.

The chances are slim. I don't expect anything drastic, and certainly not a mold rework. Gargoyle might get printed legs (Rocket Raccoon did) but I don't think his wings will be printed, Zombie Businessman will probably get his newspaper back. Hopefully, the Bigfoot and Specter minifigures will get more printing.

I don't understand the event either, but I think it's safe to say that this is a soft reveal that shows a few figs that are subject to change.