Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 14 Rumors and Discussion

I don't understand why this cmf series gets so much negativity.I mean from all the previous series this one if by far my favourite.

I like history, castle and fantasy minifigures and I'm getting 0 of those here. And with the Simpsons Series 2, that would be 2 series in a row.

That was the appeal of the regular CMF series: Everyone gets something due to the mixing. And this series lost it.

I'm sad to say I've been reading comments, and this is getting a poor reception by fans and even by some sites like Bricks and Bloks

I wonder if this pictures were released to see the reception they would get....

I think the original formula is getting old and dull.The reason why I was never a big fan of cmf was the randomness it had,there was always at least two figs that picked my interest but now having a whole series devoted to a certain theme gives me even more reasons to care.

I think the original formula is getting old and dull.

Series 12 was top seller on LEGO S&H for 25 days on a row until they sold out.

Series 13 is getting a vastly positive reception everywhere. Just read the comments on the S13 thread.

You don't see that on a 5 y.o. theme everyday

Edited by Robert8

Series 13 is getting a vastly positive reception everywhere. Just read the comments on the S13 thread.

I agree but that's just my opinion as I said earlier I wasn't a big fan of the cmf until now.

In your country. In the USA they had been $3 for months and are now $2. Clearly not selling well here.

We need to see the rest of the 16 before we can judge this release.......perhaps then he could have a poll on them ?

I don't understand why this cmf series gets so much negativity.I mean from all the previous series this one if by far my favourite.

I expect more for a $4 figure than a rehash of parts and figs. It looks like lego is running out of ideas.

Every where I go I see empty series 13 boxes and bins, this is in the US. They are selling well in the US at $3.99. Series 14 will sell well and a lot of people will be kicking themselves for skipping on them.

I expect more for a $4 figure than a rehash of parts and figs. It looks like lego is running out of ideas.

I think that's entirely the wrong idea. These minifigures are vastly different intepretations of previous concepts. They would be rehashes if the series were as similar to previous CMFS as the Monster Fighters antagonists were to the CMF monsters, but they're not. This scientist has an overlarge brain, this cheerleader is a new take on LEGO cheerleaders and zombies, this witch is a Halloween icon, not a fantasy villain. And every series reuses parts, but every series introduces new ones, too.

So far, we have:

Pigtail hair

Flip hairdo with cat ears

Monster plant mask

WItch hat/hair

Giant-brained scientist head

And I'm sure there's more to come in terms of new pieces.

I think that's entirely the wrong idea. These minifigures are vastly different intepretations of previous concepts. They would be rehashes if the series were as similar to previous CMFS as the Monster Fighters antagonists were to the CMF monsters, but they're not. This scientist has an overlarge brain, this cheerleader is a new take on LEGO cheerleaders and zombies, this witch is a Halloween icon, not a fantasy villain. And every series reuses parts, but every series introduces new ones, too.

So far, we have:

Pigtail hair

Flip hairdo with cat ears

Monster plant mask

WItch hat/hair

Giant-brained scientist head

And I'm sure there's more to come in terms of new pieces.

I see another zombie, another werewolf, another frankenstein monster, another vampire bride, another witch, another pirate etc. I am intested in new characters, not taking the same characters and adding a different hairpiece. Lego needs to be more creative for the amount they are charging for a single figure now.

Alright, I guess you have a point. I think this group adds more diversity to the previous monsters by creating new versions and concepts, but they can be seen as rehashes as well. Fair enough.

I just feel like too many people are underestimating the series purely on the basis that it's themed and contains new versions of monsters we've had before. I get that it's not for everyone (sorry, Castle and Space fans), but so many people have complained about unoriginality, while I see them as quite different and unique.

I didn't love the Simpsons series, and I'm not happy about its successor, but I was able to pick out some parts that I liked, and I got a few. I will probably find a few things to like about the next one, although I would infinitely prefer a non-licensed series with new accessory pieces in its place.

And I feel like griping about "the standards should be better because we're paying more" won't work for much longer. This is their price now. LEGO saw that the minifigures still sold when they raised the price for the Simpsons, and they decided "well, they'll keep paying the higher price". The consumers were willing to pay extra, so the company kept the price where it was.

Edited by 8BrickMario

In your country. In the USA they had been $3 for months and are now $2. Clearly not selling well here.

The Simpsons minifigures were a top selling for a full month or more in the US. In Britain, they are the fourth top selling toy of 2014, outselling every other LEGO product (including the two other minifigure series) besides the Star Wars MicroFighters (which were the second best selling toy).

http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/british-toy-market-sees-4-year-highs

The Simpsons sold really well. S12 took a while to get rid of, and there are still locations that haven't put out S13 because of it.

Looking at the Zombie Businessman's paper, I can see a zigzag sales graph, confirming his character. Not particularly spooky, though.

I guess it's hit and miss all over the place... Aside from The LEGO Store, I hadn't seen a single S13 for sale until today at Walmart; the nearby Target laughably had S12 out maybe in November, then nothing in December, then nothing for the first couple of weeks in January... then S12 again - and not even on clearance. :wacko:

Five Below had some S12, down to less than a box on the shelf... and then all of a sudden like 2 boxes of S12 and 2 more boxes of The Simpsons! It's just crazy around here, I guess.

Still, I like the "old" formula, but don't necessarily mind diversions into themed sets. I love monsters, I've always been a fan of horror. Unfortunately, I do not really like these all that much, although it's also not all bad, either. I don't necessarily consider it a "rehash." They absolutely cannot have another vampire remotely like anything they've done before. The wolfman is a rehash, but not of CMF... the CMF did not come with the molded head, and I like that they made it a wolfman version of a previous figure - complete with ripped clothes. In fact, it's one of the ones I actually like.

Zombie variety is good, so adding two zombies is not that terrible, IMO, I just don't like the "oops, I'm a zombie!" expression on the cheerleader.

The other figures... I just don't know. Vampiress never made that much sense in a traditional sense... traditionally the story is male vampires are generally conflicted by their attraction to some woman; modern vampires look nothing like the traditional ones. A bride of Frankenstein would have made more sense, especially given that hair... the vampiress from monster fighters was better.

The mad scientist and witch are just too cartoony... much more appropriate for Scooby Doo. The plant costume is terrible. To me, it doesn't work for adults who are fans of Little Shop of Horrors, nor kids who have no idea what the heck it is. I don't understand the "duh?" expression on the ghost. The pirate might be fun; the guitar playing monster is just ridiculous. Yes, I made a "monsters of rock" MOC (I even recently added flashing stage lights to it), but we already have the monster and we already have guitars.

The tiger woman? That's an interesting one, IMO. I don't really know what I would do with it, so it makes me shrug... but it's definitely new and interesting, one of the few I don't think anyone can complain about.

I would love a castle theme; fantasy, mythological, and my wallet would love a theme I wasn't interested in.

Looking at the Zombie Businessman's paper, I can see a zigzag sales graph, confirming his character. Not particularly spooky, though.

Why the heck is it on his head, though?

Edited by fred67

Actually, the plant costume is very faithful to the finales of most stage versions and the ending of the original black and white Little Shop of Horrors. During the final song the four main victims (Mushnik, Audrey, Orin, and Seymour) all come out to sing "Don't Feed the Plants" with plant heads over their own. In the original movie, at the end, the plant bloomed into all of the faces of the people it had eaten

So, in my opinion, the plant guy looks great! The rest of the series is just your average monsters so far, but I'm excited to see what else is in store

My main hope for this series was a cheap, generic zombie whose head I could use to diversify my zombie horde. Lego successfully gave us three zombies I personally have no use for outside of themselves. A zombie with an eye patch or glasses only has so many uses, and the cheerleader's smile kills me. So many hopes and dreams crushed in an instant.

On a more positive note, I am a fan of Tiger Girl!

I really like some of these and love that we will see more zombies. But another wolfman really?

I'm curious why people don't like the wolfman, but don't comment on Frankenstein's monster (with a guitar :sick:).

At least the wolfman is significantly different than the previous CMF wolfman.

I'm curious why people don't like the wolfman, but don't comment on Frankenstein's monster (with a guitar :sick:).

At least the wolfman is significantly different than the previous CMF wolfman.

Probably because I had completely written him off as a figure to try and get. He seems utterly pointless.

The Vampiress and Classic Witch are more decent, but why they include another Frankenstein with a guitar instead of a Bride of Frankenstein??

And also that Mad Scientist looks like an older version of S4 Crazy Scientist or just a father of a younger mad scientist?

Personally I can never have enough monsters....there can always be more!!!!

I totally agree! I'm a BIG fan of 'monsters' in general, regardless of type but, I have to say that I lean more toward the 'classics' and thus, have been very happy with the offerings from LEGO thus far over the years (though 'MORE' would have been better, of course). The photos that I've seen so far of the the (possible) new CMF line and the new Scooby-Doo theme have me VERY happy. I don't even care if there are 'repeat' figs, so long as there is something different about them. I've loved all the vamps, mummies, Frankenstein monsters, etc., so far and I've collected all of them that have come along. 'Variants' don't just work well for comic books and action figures...they work well for minifigs, too, IMO.