Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 14 Rumors and Discussion

I was hoping for some classic monsters, I'm sad to say that these look awful. They're just cheap rehashes (a Zombie cheerleader, a Frankensteins monster rock star)

Also there's a wierd mix of what I assume people dressing up as monsters and actual monsters. Nice nod to the old Studios werewolf tough.

I completely agree; and w.r.t. the comments that were prompted by your post, you didn't just say "rehashes," you said cheap rehashes. So, OK, I'm a middle aged guy, not LEGO's target audience... but I would like a bit more serious figures (yes, I said that about LEGO!), and all these ones that are "costumed" figures (as opposed to "actual" monsters) are terrible, IMO... but then again, I'm probably the only one who didn't like hot dog suit guy from the current series.

I love the zombie genre, and zombie mocs, but the cheerleader bothers me on two points... the facial expression (doesn't work in post-apoc mocs), and only having one pom-pom (which may not be the case when actually released, but after doubling the price of CMFs since their release, and not giving us extra accessories like they did at first, I find it annoying to think they're going to short change us on accessories).... and the zombie businessman... what the what is that on his head?

This series is trying too hard to be funny... the joke wears off very quickly, though, and you're left with fairly useless figures.

I did like the werewolf... not a rehash of the previous CMF one, and that it's an existing figure that has been "updated" with the torn up clothes and stuff, I think that's great.

I have been expecting a Bride of Frankenstein or as LEGO may say "Bride of The Monster". They could use Marge Simpson’s hair in black with some grey electric bolts up the side.

I think Bride of Frankenstein is a fantastic idea. An invisible man was also a good suggestion.

So far, though, I'm not too thrilled.

Edited by fred67

The skeleton guy looks quite a bit like the Bone Suit from LEGO Universe:

Crux-Prime_SkeletonSuit.jpg

I don't think I'll be buying any of these, I don't have a use for them. Eh, maybe the skeleton guy, as a novelty.

I'm decidedly underwhelmed by these figures. They look rather clumsily put together. I would be disappointed if they were to have a hallowe'en themed Series 14. I much prefer the randomness of the minifigs.

Edited by ObadiahPoundage

that mad scientist could almost pass for a minion! they all look good... must get the witch for her cat. like the warewolfs clothes too... looks like he ate the lumberjack from a previous series and stole his outfit.

And What if The lumberjack IS a werewolf? *Dun Dun DUN!!!*

I was really, really looking forward to a monsters theme, and this series is very disappointing.

White printing on the skeleton isn't uniform

Tiger girl's yellows don't match. Looks like they couldn't decide whether this was a costume minifigure or a monster minifigure. This one is somewhere in-between.

Plant minifigure would have been much better as a monster with a trans-red head/teeth/piece from that Atlantis hammerhead figure. As a costume figure it doesn't fit.

Mad scientist head is way too cartoony and awful.

Rock star Frankenstein really needs to go as well. That and the scientist are by far the worst of the bunch.

And What if The lumberjack IS a werewolf? *Dun Dun DUN!!!*

I think that's the only good part about it... I like when they play on previous series, usually being some counter-part (evil mech to go with the mech, blue cheerleader to go with the red one), but an evolution of an existing figure into a werewolf seems like the coolest part of this series.... and ironically (thinking of little red riding hood) it's the lumberjack.

Ugh I hate this series. The only one I actually want is the werewolf and maybe the vampire lady and Witch... The rest :sick:

Wow! love these!!!! Great add-on!!!

Maybe that are simply minifigures that wear cloths for a halloowenn party? So we have a Monster band ( franky and the mosnters) and some others invited? :)

I think they look great! When I saw the crazy scientist's head, I immediately thought of Ki-Adi Mundi from the LEGO Star Wars video games.

I don't understand why lego would go down this road, does that mean we will get a space or castle cmf wave? Better kepping the only off series as licensed ones.

If there's any truth to these leaks/rumors - this series looks like a lot of fun. There is some definitely some fan-service here with the monster likenesses (just enough to not get TLG, I suppose).

Anyways, looking forward to seeing how these end up in the final product.

Loving these so far, i think the female figures are especially strong, and the Lumberjack werewolf is lots of fun. Looks like the 'testing' of Monster figures through the CMF line showed that they were popular.

It's a great timely tie-in for figures and parts to both Scooby Doo & Superheroes.

What's interesting about these figures (and I guess many of the previous Monster CMFs) is how little yellow is used on the figures - meaning they can tie in well with licensed or non-licensed themes. Clever move.

I'm honestly surprised by how much vitriol this leak has gotten. Several want these to be fake, some think they all look like costumes and not real monsters, some are just unhappy on the principle that it's yet another themed series. The only part of the series I can truly say puts me off is the Scientist's giant-brain head, but even that intrigues me and grabs my attention. I see these as well-done new takes on characters released before. Sure, they may be less dark, but they're quite creative and not incongruous with previous monsters. The tiger lady and skeleton guy don't interest me as much now, but we still have a bit to see. I won't say I'm right, but the level of dislike here compared to previous series surprised me.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I don't understand why lego would go down this road, does that mean we will get a space or castle cmf wave? Better kepping the only off series as licensed ones.

Kids love horror and creepy themes.......just look at the new Scooby Doo ! :wink:

Kids love horror and creepy themes.......just look at the new Scooby Doo ! :wink:

Which has not sold one set yet so lets wait and see but kids love space and castle and other things in normal cmf.

The problem with a specialized theme is that it leaves out a lot of fans. I try to avoid the space minifigs in the regular series, but I don't mind them being there as many other fans want them. I army build the Egyptian Warriors and others can have the Space Warriors and Alien Troopers. Both both types of fans by the series.

However, there has yet to be any of these Monsters that fit with my needs. Perhaps I will build a zombie mob, but I don't think I will want duplicates of any of them. The Zombie Pirate feels out of place to me with the others as well.

While I would personally love a Castle themed wave, I doubt it woudl sell as well as a regular series. Plus Castle has been well served by the regular series of late.

^ A good point well made, I like space and castle but we have seen a lot of them in the normal cmf so if they did do a whole series of them then they might be stretching it a bit thin and even if they find 16 they will still miss out a lot of fans that don't like castle as much.

but the level of dislike here compared to previous series surprised me.

This might be the reason for this too.

I figured the specialization was a big factor, but there's an unusual amount of hate and skepticism when it comes to the figs themselves. The fact that the state of monster (costumed or real) is being debated on about a silly, humorous toy figure line seems absurd to me. It's LEGO. Make it real, make it a costume.

What's interesting about these figures (and I guess many of the previous Monster CMFs) is how little yellow is used on the figures - meaning they can tie in well with licensed or non-licensed themes. Clever move.

I didn't even notice that! I was wondering how I could integrate these into the Scooby Doo sets. Smart move by LEGO!

Definitely hit/miss.. But so are all of the series. I wasn't expecting a full monster wave. It does seem like it will exclude a lot of fans. I'm certainly torn on if I want to continue getting a complete collection or just picking up the few I like. With the price increases, it makes collecting harder and harder. And I'd rather have certain Super Hero figures in my collection than just CMFs...

With that said, I love the tiger girl. She is a must have. The vampire lady works well. The zombie cheerleader is cute, but mostly for the hair (has to be Harley).

I'm hoping the rest look better. But I know my daughter will probably want these since she's a Halloween baby.

Edit: Also the vampire lady looks to be on a smaller slope brick than normal. As in she doesn't look as tall. Not a new piece, but new printing on an older piece.

Edited by TheLegoDr

I personally haven't minded the "special themed" CMF series (which, essentially, is just this and the Simpsons; Team Great Britain if you want to include them as CMF).

I love monsters. I love the whole genre of films and TV; I love the show Supernatural, as well as The Walking Dead and similar shows... even Z-Nation makes my radar.

The theme isn't the problem - the figures are. So now you're seeing negative comments on two fronts - just like with the Simpsons, where non-Simpsons fans were put out, now you have put out non-monster fans and also people like me who just think they didn't do a very good job.

Or, let me put it this way - I'm sure they will be great for the intended audience of little kids. These are very disappointing to me because most of the previous series did a good job of being both serious and fun... so far, these mostly seem like caricaturish gags. The problem with gags is they aren't funny after a while.

Hmm. That slope brick might be a trick of perspective.

I'm wondering how long it will take for these to be confirmed as Series 14. As far as I can tell, that's all they could be, but there's no word since they're leaked.

Why does the frontpage say these are for the end of this year? The fact that they've already been leaked (and thus, made) indicates that they're slated for a much earlier release, and if this series comes before the Simpsons S2, it should be around April or May. Does the Simpsons come first? And if so, why aren't they the ones we're talking about?

Edited by 8BrickMario