Sign in to follow this  
Lyichir

2015 Nui Rama

16038902960_e4094c103f_z.jpg

So recently, inspired by an offhand comment my twin brother made about wanting to see/build an updated version of the classic Nui-Rama set, I decided to try my hand at a MOC.

After much planning, preparation on LDD, and scavenging parts from recent Technic sets, the result is what you see here. A "Skull Sandfly" (still not 100% sold on the name, but I like the alliteration). I tried to recreate the look of the classic set while giving it a much-needed update, with CCBS parts replacing the classic low-posability Bionicle limbs and the dated Throwbot/Slizer gearbox cleared out to make way for a custom gearbox which utilizes the knob gears from this year's Technic-heavy Toa and Lord of Skull Spiders. The function looks better (thanks in part to the wings from Gorast and Thornraxx) and arguably works better, with less wobble and a better grip for the handle. The jaw and claws are now posable, thanks to parts from last year's Hero Factory sets, and the eyes are now solidly attached instead of weirdly popping off like other masks. And at 103 pieces, it gives the original a run for its money in terms of bulk and building experience as well.

Photos: (1, 2, 3, 4)

Video: (1, 2, 3)

LXF File (Build Your Own!): (Download)

Any comments? Critiques? Questions? Voice them in the comments!

Looks really good up front. I wasn't so sure about the back, but it looks really good for the function you have packed in there and it works wonderfully. Quite a good idea using a technic gear rack for the main body.

Very cool, especially the head. The mechanism is well thought. I wish I had the parts to build it.

That looks amazing! It is a very good depiction of the original. The Nui Rama were my favorite Rahi set, the green one more specifically.